Anybody checked to see if they made the ballot for PRL100?

124»

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    IC. wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Ah got rejected from the ballot and my firm's pulled out of the charity ride too.

ah well.

If it is like the last two years, they should have a load of places reserved for team entries which your club should be able to sort out. I think we had 10 4 man teams last year, so practically guaranteed a place. I got in through the ballot again anyway, hopefully I will get a decent start time.

Is it right to enter the ballot and reduce others chances of success, if you have guaranteed place through your club? I'm not saying it is or isn't, just sounds a bit weird
    My normal club draw names from a hat and you have to show you've not got in via the normal process before you can take one of the club spots.

The interesting thing I noticed on the Ride London FAQ was
    The ballot is drawn randomly utilising the answers provided by registrants on their entry forms. It is weighted for Health and Safety purposes to help the maximum number of people get safely around the route within the eight and a half hour time limit.

So you can probably improve your chances by putting down an overly slow time. Problem is then whether you're allowed to gatecrash an earlier start...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Sketchley wrote:
    To be clear (I hope). I entered the ballot and didn't pay shortly after last years event just in case medical referral didn't happen. In October I got medical email so went on and paid and got confirmation. Then I got two packages yesterday one saying accepted which I assume is the medical referral the other saying provisionally accepted pending payment which I guess is the ballot. I'll phone them in a few days once the lines quieten down and check it all. It's odd though as same email is used for both.
    Ah - I missed out the bit in October - I'd already paid last years entry and assumed I'd have to pay for this year too ...

It's probably an administrative cockup though - I'll call them before the 19th ...
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    I thought the first year was pretty well organised throughout. With the exception of the food stops which were a nightmare. This year I won't bother with them, just take gels and water tablets. Two years ago I kept stopping by side of road and asking nice people outside there homes to fill up bottle!

God provided all the water we needed last year... though they did have water only stations.

I stopped for food at Newlands Corner and it was not too bad at all

A banana and a painkiller at Newlands cost me around 40mins two years ago.

too cold for anybody to hang around last year
  • dhope wrote:
    IC. wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Ah got rejected from the ballot and my firm's pulled out of the charity ride too.

ah well.

If it is like the last two years, they should have a load of places reserved for team entries which your club should be able to sort out. I think we had 10 4 man teams last year, so practically guaranteed a place. I got in through the ballot again anyway, hopefully I will get a decent start time.

Is it right to enter the ballot and reduce others chances of success, if you have guaranteed place through your club? I'm not saying it is or isn't, just sounds a bit weird
    My normal club draw names from a hat and you have to show you've not got in via the normal process before you can take one of the club spots.

The interesting thing I noticed on the Ride London FAQ was
    The ballot is drawn randomly utilising the answers provided by registrants on their entry forms. It is weighted for Health and Safety purposes to help the maximum number of people get safely around the route within the eight and a half hour time limit.

So you can probably improve your chances by putting down an overly slow time. Problem is then whether you're allowed to gatecrash an earlier start...

In theory you would be stopped... in practise nobody would stop you
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Just a heads up for anyone still waiting for their pack. You can jow log in through the desktop site (click the link at the top of this thread) and check your status and pay for your entry if you were successful. Worked for me at least.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • Got my co...... misserations letter :(
    Same: I somehow rather receive an email where I can digest this on my own time instead of the glossy magazine remind me and people around me of failing to get in...
    Nevermind, it will rain again....
  • slowbike
    Well - according to the chap on the phone - an accepted letter is just that - I'm accepted, the next I hear will be in July ...
    I only wanted to login to see that I was through - but apparently I don't need to do that ...

Well - I'm not booking up hotels just incase it's a computer glitch ...
  • The interesting thing I noticed on the Ride London FAQ was

I wonder if I had not said I rode last year all be it via a charity spot I would have had more chance. I wonder if the people who get in every year mention that? God dam to honest.
    Moda Prima 2013
    Giant Defy Advanced 1 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross-3000 'MB' - STOLEN
    Langster SF 2015
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    I have deferred entry from last year so I'm in. Looking forward to it already. After May will concentrate on cycling I think and see how I get along.
  • Failed again. Sod 'em!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Crikey, is it only me who's riding this event? Everyone else seems to have been binned.

Mind you, I did enter 43,000 times...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    SecretSam wrote:
    Crikey, is it only me who's riding this event? Everyone else seems to have been binned.

Mind you, I did enter 43,000 times...
    I'm in too, second year in a row, didn't want to say in case the angry mob turned up with the pitchforks. :lol:
  • there's 3 of us so far... that's a peloton right :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    I got in too. Failed to get in last year but rode for charity. Decided if I didn't get in via the ballot I simply wouldnt ride. But I did which is nice.

My wife didn't get in through the ballot and I was delighted as she expected me to ride with her (e.g. slowly). Sadly she now has a charity place so not only will I have to potter round with her but I will be expected to sponsor her. Clearly I am a bit of a tw*t husband but I cannot help being irritated by this.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • slowbike
    well - I think I'm in - I've got an acceptance letter, but I'm sure I didn't follow the instructions in October for my deferred place so it may just be a glitch ...
    my better half now has an email re-stating her provisional acceptance with some other info, so I'm waiting for the same ...
    Another guy in my club has got in too and he's not too dissimilar in power/endurance to me - so probably try to ride with him if I end up with a place.
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Got my charity place so I'm in.

What do people do about hotels/staying close by? Are there bike friendly places or will I have to cycle 20 miles before the thing even starts?
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    when do we get our start times?

about 1 month prior
  • itsrob
    itsrob Posts: 95
    Are places transferrable? I got in but my mates didn't, too much hassle from east yorkshire with the bike, if it is transferrable shout me
  • slowbike
    itsrob wrote:
    Are places transferrable? I got in but my mates didn't, too much hassle from east yorkshire with the bike, if it is transferrable shout me

Do you mean deferred until next year? Yes, if you have an illness that would prevent you from taking part.