Anybody checked to see if they made the ballot for PRL100?

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Well I'm in, medical referral from last year. I had such a blast 2 years ago, no walking and only a few idiots. I think it helped that I set off at 7am (IIRC may even of been later) in a group that was supposed to take 8hr. Only to do it 6:45. This seem to mean a fair amount of space, apart from at the rest stops so didn't bother with them. This year hoping for <6hrs. If anyone is interested in the some Saturday morning training rides from Motspur Park / Kingston area once the weather improves do let me know as I shall be out most Saturday mornings.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Starting a bit late for the training! I'm aiming for sub 5 (maybe 4.30?). Cant remember what start time I am though.
  • sketchley
    Not so much starting as continuing :) I've been on the bike over the winter most weeks, just not as much as I'd like. Anyway it's not until August, plenty of time! Plus to get sub 6 hours I need to lose a couple of stone or more.
    --
    Chris

• coriordan wrote:
    Starting a bit late for the training! I'm aiming for sub 5 (maybe 4.30?). Cant remember what start time I am though.

Is that sarcasm? Hard to tell! :mrgreen: If it's not, I did it in 2013 and due to a knee issue that a bike fit sorted about a month before the sportive, the furthest i'd ridden was about 40miles, and did that 3 times in July then did the event in 5 hours with 2 quick stops.

Entered this year but cannot check via the links either on PC or phone, guess i'll have to wait for the mail/email.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good work! Sounds like it may be quicker than I thought if I can get in a good group. Managed a solo 50 averaging 19 on Sat, so training going well so far. Hoping I get an early start to avoid the leisure riders. I think if I do it again next year I may pootle round and enjoy the closed roads and the whole experience.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Got my Congratulations letter through the post this morning.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Got my Congratulations letter through the post this morning.

ditto now to book a hotel close to the start 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Didn't get in, but I've got my charity place. I was looking to free up a place for them, as they let me defer from last year
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • Did last years in 4.30 with three stops and a bad cramp session for last 30 mins which buggered the last 10 miles. Aiming this year for single stop and maybe a bit more time given we'll hopefully have to the two hills back but still. Lots more miles in the legs as training this year so should be faster overall.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • sketchley
    Got home to two packages. One saying I've been accepted (guess this one is the medical referral I've already paid for) and another saying I've been provisionally accepted subject to payment (guess this is the ballot which I haven't). Ho hum phone calls tomorrow to sort this out.
    --
    Chris

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Sketchley wrote:
    Got home to two packages. One saying I've been accepted (guess this one is the medical referral I've already paid for) and another saying I've been provisionally accepted subject to payment (guess this is the ballot which I haven't). Ho hum phone calls tomorrow to sort this out.
    I had a medical referral from last year - but I missed the October email so didn't complete anything by the 20th October deadline - but I've got an Accepted letter through the post ...

bit confusing!
    You had to pay for deferring the entry (the full fee) and I was told I'd have to pay again this year - obviously I've not done that (yet) ...

Not quite sure what to do now ... may just leave it and see what happens come July - if I get a start time great, if not no worries...
    If I do end up doing it I just need somewhere in London to park the van overnight .... :)
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I got my letter today too. Now wracking my brain to see if I can do RL100, then fly from H'row to Nice the following day, somehow get to Isola 2000 before joining the holiday a day late and then flogging myself through the Alps. :shock:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • I got my letter through. :) Happy days, don't live to far from the start either, 15mins cycle.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Ah got rejected from the ballot and my firm's pulled out of the charity ride too.

ah well.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Well, I'm in - twice! Having agreed to ride for the MS Society (my sister has MS), I then got a place in the ballot as well.

But I'm really upset to read some of the horror stories on here about the event organisation, I'm looking forward to it so much.

<<Starts thinking about training>>

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Anyone been able to pay yet?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Well, I'm in - twice! Having agreed to ride for the MS Society (my sister has MS), I then got a place in the ballot as well.

But I'm really upset to read some of the horror stories on here about the event organisation, I'm looking forward to it so much.

<<Starts thinking about training>>

I thought it was very well organised and they did a very good job in difficult circumstances. Remember that this will only be the 3rd year so organisers and entrants are still learning. Many of the unhappy people should probably be in semi-pro races so if they are not in the first wave then this event is not for them. You will find a far more balanced thread with people happy to help in Road - tours/events/audaxes
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Rejected :(
  • sketchley
    I thought the first year was pretty well organised throughout. With the exception of the food stops which were a nightmare. This year I won't bother with them, just take gels and water tablets. Two years ago I kept stopping by side of road and asking nice people outside there homes to fill up bottle!
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Slowbike wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    I had a medical referral from last year - but I missed the October email so didn't complete anything by the 20th October deadline - but I've got an Accepted letter through the post ...

bit confusing!
    You had to pay for deferring the entry (the full fee) and I was told I'd have to pay again this year - obviously I've not done that (yet) ...

Not quite sure what to do now ... may just leave it and see what happens come July - if I get a start time great, if not no worries...
    If I do end up doing it I just need somewhere in London to park the van overnight .... :)

To be clear (I hope). I entered the ballot and didn't pay shortly after last years event just in case medical referral didn't happen. In October I got medical email so went on and paid and got confirmation. Then I got two packages yesterday one saying accepted which I assume is the medical referral the other saying provisionally accepted pending payment which I guess is the ballot. I'll phone them in a few days once the lines quieten down and check it all. It's odd though as same email is used for both.
    --
    Chris

• 3rd year in a row I've been declined...though this year I didnt realise it clashed with a planned ride to Paris so not so bothered :)

I'm guessing their allocation system is every bit as useless as the olympic ticket one though i.e. I bet people get in multiple times while others are repeatedly declined
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Ah got rejected from the ballot and my firm's pulled out of the charity ride too.

ah well.

If it is like the last two years, they should have a load of places reserved for team entries which your club should be able to sort out. I think we had 10 4 man teams last year, so practically guaranteed a place. I got in through the ballot again anyway, hopefully I will get a decent start time.
  • Got my co...... misserations letter :(
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Alas, got the commiserations package. I seem to have donated my fee (d'oh!), but I got a jersey out of it. It's a touch baggy, but of reasonably quality. That said, seems a bit naff to wear a jersey for an event you're not doing. Unless I just bought a charity place: I was obviously willing to pay £80ish, any other locals considering paying £600ish? The route follows large chunks of my commute and nearly goes by my house. Cash would otherwise go to bike bits (well, that's what I'd tell the household CFO).
  • Sketchley wrote:
    I thought the first year was pretty well organised throughout. With the exception of the food stops which were a nightmare. This year I won't bother with them, just take gels and water tablets. Two years ago I kept stopping by side of road and asking nice people outside there homes to fill up bottle!

God provided all the water we needed last year... though they did have water only stations.

I stopped for food at Newlands Corner and it was not too bad at all
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Dyrlac wrote:
    any other locals considering paying £600ish?
    I have a bridge to sell you...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    BigMat wrote:

ah well.

If it is like the last two years, they should have a load of places reserved for team entries which your club should be able to sort out. I think we had 10 4 man teams last year, so practically guaranteed a place. I got in through the ballot again anyway, hopefully I will get a decent start time.

Is it right to enter the ballot and reduce others chances of success, if you have guaranteed place through your club? I'm not saying it is or isn't, just sounds a bit weird
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    IC. wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

ah well.

Is it right to enter the ballot and reduce others chances of success, if you have guaranteed place through your club? I'm not saying it is or isn't, just sounds a bit weird

I just followed the application process like everyone else. The team entry thing isn't limited to clubs, but my club dealt with all the admin to put in a number of club teams last year. Entry that way isn't "guaranteed", but experience suggests there is a pretty good likelihood of getting in (a lot better chance than through the ballot).
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    To all those who missed out - my charity (MS) encouraged me to stay in the ballot, even though I had a place through them* - they'll offer it to another charity rider so they get an extra place. So it might be worth trying the charities, if you think you can raise £650-750.

* Just so you don't think I'm greedy, I entered the ballot BEFORE getting a charity place

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:

God provided all the water we needed last year... though they did have water only stations.

I stopped for food at Newlands Corner and it was not too bad at all

A banana and a painkiller at Newlands cost me around 40mins two years ago.
    --
    Chris