The home made thread

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited February 2015 in Commuting chat
As the thread title implies, what home made or custom bike related projects are you thinking about, in the process or stuck on?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• itboffin
    I've got two but I'll keep them in separate posts for easier tracking.

My first is now more than three years old maybe even older, way back when I bought my first magicshine light I quickly found out that the battery was/is gash I also had one very scary burning battery incident which prompted me to buy a dozen sets of single 18650 cell holders with the idea of building my own removable cell packs, which should mean I can finally reuse all those laptop batteries I have knocking around.

Here in lies the first problem, for love nor money could I find a glue that will bond these plastic shells securely together.

Taping or strapping was part of the design I had in mind, so the projects stalled.

Any recommendations to get this rolling again?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    The next project is in two parts, born in part out of boredom whilst stuck doing turbo sessions and in part due to my insatiable desire for stats.

I want to connect my phone(s) or mini tablet to my Garmin out front mount using the quarter turn method. I use Android not apple phones so most off the shelf options are out and the quadlock looks far to bulky and expensive for what it is.

So far my two options appear to be, cheap cases, 3M VHB tape and a 3D printed Garmin quarter lock blank from raceware for £10 or a £3-4 SRAM adapter filled down and stuck in a similar way.

The question is which adhesive VHB tape would be strong enough? or is there an alternative method bearing in mind it'll only be used on a static bike but will be removed after every session.

Quite a selection to choose from http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/3m-vhb-tapes? ... rder=price
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ever heard of Sugru?

Google it.

Sugru with magnets kit will be a start.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • itboffin
    I have yes I ruled it out as to bulky and a fairly expensive solution. Ultimately my aim for the battery pack is <£10 all in and the mount something similar.

The ultimate bond is out there somewhere.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I'd never heard of sugru. Was worth reading this thread just to find out it existed!

For gluing the battery boxes together, would airfix glue do the job?
    Another option might be to bolt/glue/pop rivet the holders to sheet of plastic or thin metal.

As for my contribution to home made stuff, I had some Evans vouchers for Christmas and quite fancied a backpack cover. I went to the local (40 miles away...) store to have a look to see if they would fit but they didn't have any in the store.

I had a load of old hi vis jackets at home from previous jobs so stitched some Velcro to it and to my backpacks and hey presto instant hi vis backpack cover.
    I got some red electro luminescent wire and an inverter off ebay and hey presto instant hi vis 70s disco backpack cover :).

The things I've learned from this are:
    • Borrow someone's sewing machine for stitching the Velcro. The backing is really tough and I ended up with several pierced fingertips from pushing the needle through and several broken needles.
    • Rechargeable batteries are useless in the step up voltage inverters you get off ebay.
    • Putting your arms through the arm holes of the hi vis while it's on your backpack can lead to embarrassing moments of getting stuck in your backpack in the office, particularly if you have a dodgy shoulder after coming off on some ice the week before.
    • Being hi vis makes absolutely no difference to the number of cars trying to left hook you. This evening I even had a van driver slow down alongside me and give me abuse about it.
  • itboffin
    Nice!

Pics? :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    itboffin wrote:
    The ultimate bond is out there somewhere.

Idris-Elba-James-Bond.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    itboffin wrote:
    Here in lies the first problem, for love nor money could I find a glue that will bond these plastic shells securely together.

This glue is chuffing amazing. I know you're a bloke, but read the instructions. It gets stronger if you set it in the oven, but then it'll start to run a bit more in the time it's setting, so have a test run first.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    itboffin wrote:
    it'll only be used on a static bike but will be removed after every session.

Hmm:
    http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Bras ... -Black/1XL
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    TimothyW wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Hmm:

Hah, I'd been thinking about a music stand to sit in front of the turbo too.

Or how about a stand like this, Boff
    http://joby.com/smartphones/griptight-gorillapod-stand?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • have you tried Araldite?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I doubt araldite would work, I'd try using silicon.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • the BOFF, I have magicshine lights as well, and brought the big water bottle battery you can get for them, never had an issue with the batteries and now there is a new y splitter for the new and old lights to join together its great. Only issue i had is with the rear magicshines, seems after a month of my constant using the twisting motion to set the lights kept rubbing the wire to bare metal until they frayed so much they stopped working.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • itboffin
    dhope wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Hmm:

Hah, I'd been thinking about a music stand to sit in front of the turbo too.

Or how about a stand like this, Boff
    http://joby.com/smartphones/griptight-gorillapod-stand?

looks good but did you see the first two reviews? #FAIL
  • itboffin
    the BOFF, I have magicshine lights as well, and brought the big water bottle battery you can get for them, never had an issue with the batteries and now there is a new y splitter for the new and old lights to join together its great. Only issue i had is with the rear magicshines, seems after a month of my constant using the twisting motion to set the lights kept rubbing the wire to bare metal until they frayed so much they stopped working.

I have a homemade double bottle battery pack, its what i replaced the original unit with i also took the head apart and re soldered the wires in, clean out the whole unit and secured the fixing points. One of the battery ends isnt as tight as i should be and used to disconnect so i applied some good old fashioned bluetack.

8)
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Home made (well, work actually) BB press

IMG_20150123_104745_zpsmrxufhx8.jpg

As yet unused, as the clicking turned out to be a broken quick link :oops:
  • thistle_
    edited January 2015
    Andy9964 wrote:
    Home made (well, work actually) BB press
    I paid money for one like this off eBay (£3 or so).

Photos of the backpack to follow.
  • TimothyW wrote:

Been thinking about getting one of those XL black bras to support Mrs WBW's wind section
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Home made parts on my bikes are
    1/ Chain guide on the commuter made from an MRP part, a DMR part and some stainless fasteners
    2/ Carbon fibre lightweight (26g) bashguard on my MTB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • itboffin
    Love it!
    Now that's what this thread is all about.

Keep em coming ...
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    itboffin wrote:
    My first is now more than three years old maybe even older, way back when I bought my first magicshine light I quickly found out that the battery was/is gash I also had one very scary burning battery incident which prompted me to buy a dozen sets of single 18650 cell holders with the idea of building my own removable cell packs, which should mean I can finally reuse all those laptop batteries I have knocking around.

quoting to remind myself to reply to this properly tomorrow. I'm doing quite a large battery build out of 18650 cells, not really cycle related but it started by getting some 18650s for my lights.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    This is my project, and while it's not bike related, I got my first 18650 cells for my ultrafire bike torches. I then started to see what else they would power, so moved onto battery packs that can charge my phone or tablet. Then I started using them when I was away in my caravan last year. We do agility shows with the dogs which is setting up in the middle of a field for a long weekend, anything requiring power needs to come from batteries. I don't want to use a noisy generator and solar panels are expensive.

Then I got to thinking about using quite a lot of these 18650 cells since they store quite a large amount of charge for their size. For comparison, a lead acid leisure battery rated at 100amps weighs about 30kg for £60-100, I have made four 24 amp packs that weigh a total of 7kg and cost me about £1 (I work in IT so can salvage laptop batteries for free).

PhotoJan2345135PM_zps4b64f56c.jpg

My aim is to make a suitcase with 8 of these 24amp packs, an inverter and some 12v car plugs. So should power pretty much anything I can throw at it. I don't do roughing it camping.
    PhotoJan2343623PM_zps85ffe9f8.jpg

I still have quite a few thing's to work out, how to mount the plugs, running some temperature sensors for safety. I have some relatively low discharge protection PCBs but if my other half wants to use her hair dryer these will trip so need to sort something out regarding that.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2015
    Its been done before but here's my best project to date.

Frustrated by the price premium of Brompton specific luggage, I modified an Ortlieb Front Roller City to fit a Brompton S-Type Carrier

Top fixings lowered about 3 1/2 inches to fit carrier. Original fixing holes covered with Heavy Duty Duck Tape (looks like a re-enforcing strip on the original material). Top of internal backing plate secured in place inside pannier with Duck tape (as fixings are no longer at top of plate). Drill out rivets of side bars on carrier. Cut down side bars to match width of bag (about 2 inches or so, but making sure there is still enough straight section for R&K fixings to hook onto) and re-rivet. 1hr, max.

Hey presto a 12.5l fully waterproof Ortlieb Brompton bag plus carrier at a far lower price than any other Brompton S-Type front luggage option which looks like it was shop bought (and you even get an extra Front Roller to sell on or use for commuting).

Still too much money for my primary use though...........................carrying fish and chips from the chippy!

Sorry, terrible photo's but all I have available

IMG_01101.jpg
    IMG_01111.jpg
    IMG_01081.jpg
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • itboffin
    Nice mod but wouldnt such a large bag on the front of a small or any bike for that matter make handling horrible?

especially if the contents moved around
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    itboffin wrote:
    Nice mod but wouldnt such a large bag on the front of a small or any bike for that matter make handling horrible?

especially if the contents moved around

Actually its well known that adding front luggage to a Brompton improves the handling! Those small front wheels can be twitchy and extra weight creates inertia against the twisting forces
    Also as mine is a S-Type this is smaller than bags designed for the other handlebar types, which are higher, in order that it does not snag on the brake levers
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    anthdci wrote:

Luckily it doesn't look anything at all like a suitcase bomb...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • itboffin
    Lol i thought the same, it reminded me of when i brought back six external USB 1Tb HDD from the USA and took them all out of the boxes to fit in my hand luggage. The TSA didnt bat an eyelid in fact I dont think they even noticed.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    elbowloh wrote:
    anthdci wrote:

Luckily it doesn't look anything at all like a suitcase bomb...
    Or have the potential to go up like one.

Oh hang on, yes it does. Still, handy if you want to burn a hole through the floor. :lol:

I hope you don't store it in the house. Or near anything hot. :wink:
  • thistle_
    itboffin wrote:
    Nice!

Pics? :lol:

Not got any photos but here's a video:
    http://youtu.be/wAXuiKY2dDo

It's done about 160 miles so far and it's still just about being held together with sticky tape. Need to finish off the sewing.