Top Gear, 25-1-2015

13»

Comments

• motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Those rotten sods blew a cow up last night. That's bang out of order. Mind you, writing ' towards ramblers' on those Claymores was up there with the best of Python, Milligan et al.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    The Top Gear episode on the 8th Feb was fantastic. Yes it was false but very entertaining and funny all the way through.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,578
    Really? I thought it was utter s***e other than 2 or 3 giggles. I remember why I hardly watched the previous series now.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    So how would you make it more entertaining, funny and different from other tv programmes?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    It is gradually morphing into that other long running bastion of Sunday evening entertainment, Last of the Summer Wine. 3 blokes twatting around to an increasingly poor and predictable script and it's about as funny.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Sunday the 8th was almost certainly one of the worst episodes ever and apart from having one of the nicest guys in F1 driving the track, it was utter tripe.
    I see no coming back now for this show, it is not a car programme anymore, its a show for kids who want to watch cars being blown up.
    Living MY dream.
  • And?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    VTech wrote:
    Sunday the 8th was almost certainly one of the worst episodes ever and apart from having one of the nicest guys in F1 driving the track, it was utter tripe.
    I see no coming back now for this show, it is not a car programme anymore, its a show for kids who want to watch cars being blown up.

Could not agree more. While it was never exactly a factual programme there were, in the past, some semi-informative articles mixed with some light hearted buffoonery and various scripted but entertaining challenges. It is puerile now, so stupid it is no longer funny. Time to put it out to pasture I feel.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,578
    ben@31 wrote:
    So how would you make it more entertaining, funny and different from other tv programmes?

Either by doing something new rather than regurgitating the same old scenarios oevr and over again (the first episode of this series even admitted they were re-using the same 'race' they had done before in a different setting. They used to make slight changes each series but seem to have run out of ideas and whilst it hasn't been a car review programme since the days of Quentin Wilson they don't seem to discuss many new cars at all these days. I'm surprised that their budget appears to have been increased but for some reason the programme is loved in other countries.

Unlike many who have spent years bemoaning the antics on the show I've always enjoyed it and it has been one of the few programmes I made a point of watching each week but in the last couple of series they just seem to have run out of ideas and when it gets to that stage it's basically time to stop.

They'll probably be looking for a new home soon anyway as I believe the site they use at present is due to be developed.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    awavey wrote:
    Debeli wrote:
    It's quite fun that an archly pro-motorcar programme has generated so much interest from cyclists.

well cyclists do like cars too sometimes, we arent all unimodal in our transport choices, I only dislike cars when they try and hit me or get too close. 3 buffoons on tv making a comedy travel show driving around in them is fine.

You don't see a connection between the behaviour of many motorists towards cyclists and the popularity of a tv show that actively promotes aggressive and selfish road use? Top Gear is made by cnts and watched by cnts

I'd probably say the sharp rise in numbers of cyclists has more to do with it. It's not like since midsummer murders started there has been a spate of countryside killings has there.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I thought it was the funniest thing they've done in years.......
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I still don't understand why enjoying an hour of simple, good fun buffonery on a sunday evening means that one is automatically excluded from any other form of, perhaps more intellectual artform for the other 167hrs of the week...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Top Gear. It's as if the Daily Mail had sex with Dubai (yeah, that's a thinker) and the 3 stooges.

The miniature chap and the odious Clarkson are unbearable. James May slightly redeems himself for making some interesting Youtube content but, jeez, if ever a show had run its race.
    tick - tick - tick
  • ddraver wrote:
    I still don't understand why enjoying an hour of simple, good fun buffonery on a sunday evening means that one is automatically excluded from any other form of, perhaps more intellectual artform for the other 167hrs of the week...

This /\. I bet the others dont like Monty Python either...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • metronome wrote:
    Top Gear. It's as if the Daily Mail had sex with Dubai (yeah, that's a thinker) and the 3 stooges.

The miniature chap and the odious Clarkson are unbearable. James May slightly redeems himself for making some interesting Youtube content but, jeez, if ever a show had run its race.

He makes Toy Stories as well. You might like to watch that. It's excellent. And a wine show with Oz Clark. Very good.

And a science programme. Also very good. In fact, he has some really superb output.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    VTech wrote:

agree, hopefully Top Gear Live is better
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    He makes Toy Stories as well. You might like to watch that. It's excellent. And a wine show with Oz Clark. Very good.

And a science programme. Also very good. In fact, he has some really superb output.
    Oz Clark.
    Knob. No better than the trio.
    Just my opinion.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    metronome wrote:
    Top Gear. It's as if the Daily Mail had sex with Dubai (yeah, that's a thinker) and the 3 stooges.

That's the thing innit tho...

All of the trio when they re not on Top Gear make excellent programs. Clarkson's war stories or the programs he did on the Victoria Cross were genuinely outstanding. James May also presents science/engineering programs very well and in a much more adult format that those flippin' scrapheap challenge type programs. Given that attracting children into science and engineering is getting more and more difficult, it's good that someone is!

The 3 of them on Top Gear are playing characters of themselves, it astounds me how many people seem to take them seriously when they do!
    - @ddraver
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    ddraver wrote:
    metronome wrote:

That's the thing innit tho...

All of the trio when they re not on Top Gear make excellent programs. Clarkson's war stories or the programs he did on the Victoria Cross were genuinely outstanding. James May also presents science/engineering programs very well and in a much more adult format that those flippin' scrapheap challenge type programs. Given that attracting children into science and engineering is getting more and more difficult, it's good that someone is!

The 3 of them on Top Gear are playing characters of themselves, it astounds me how many people seem to take them seriously when they do!
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks for typing it out for me. :D
  • ddraver
    To add to it, none of them, ever, pretends that their G characters are real. They are open and honest about what TG has become. Naysayers are just looking for offense. If you don't like what the program is don't watch it. It's a technique I use with the vast majority of evening/weekend programming, or those ffffffffucking antique/auction shows to great effect!
    - @ddraver