Top Gear, 25-1-2015

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As soon as I saw he was trying to ride parallel to the tramlines I told my wife he'd be falling off. Sure enough, splat! Crash looked pretty genuine to me; he hit the ground like a fridge. If you were stupid enough to crash for the camera you'd not fall like that.

I suspect the speed of the fall saved him from sticking an arm out and breaking his wrist or collarbone.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    coriordan wrote:
    I don't think he fell off on purpose, although when he did I'm sure they used it to their advantage for the 'story'

I reckon this

Yes, prob bought the bike and did the 'sketch' afterwards
  • aalaap
    aalaap Posts: 1
    99% of Top Gear is scripted. I know because there was a shoot happening near my place a couple of years ago and they did an 'accident' take about 3-4 times just to get the right amount of damage. Here's the video of one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh7unDwp7TE

They do *some* improvisation on the go. For eg. if it really was a genuine accident that took out the Pina, they may have stopped a passer by and 'rented' his bike and asked him to appear on camera and say yes/no, but it's also possible that it was fully planned right from the start and they always had two bikes ready. It could just be a way for TG to show that bicycles are unsafe.
    They said the bike was "Russian pig iron" but far from it, Merida is a decent make, no idea what model it was but it wasn't exactly a BSO.

True this. Merida does make good bikes. That was just May being cocky, like all of them do from time to time! It appears to be a Matts 20-D from 2012, judging by the the colour scheme. Here's a pic of a green one:

2012MATTS20MDBLACKWHITE.jpg

This looks nearly exactly the same, just in green instead of red.

It's also interesting that a road bike 'failed' on the road due to the tram tracks and a mountain bike worked just fine, although at a lower speed. Most of us in Mumbai (or anywhere in India) prefer mountain bikes to road bikes because we have terrible roads. There are very few stretches of good roads on which road bikers can actually make full use of their bikes and even those are quite unsafe because of speeding cars.

• With that bike 22mph on the flat is not hard at all.

What is it exactly about that bike which makes 22mph easy?

The basic belief that you are better than you really are!
    AND if you had.......The more expensive gears, wheels, tyres et cetera, et cetera mustn't forget crash hat? you would be faster than your current level of training affords you.
    Suffered that syndrome for years, and ended up with no further to go except more and harder training sessions!!!!!
  • Top Gear is scripted to make sure 'interesting' things happen and clever comments are made, but anyone who watches the show regularly will know that plenty of unscripted things happen and off-the-cuff comments as well. it's pretty obvious when they are acting, as they are not very good actors.

just 'being in the tram lines' is enough of a hook to increase the tension, having already seen the trams when James was driving, so I doubt there was any plan to have Richard fall off, just as they couldn't plan having James be thrown off a pony or any of the other innumerable accidents they've had over the years. they always manage to keep the camera rolling and stay in 'character', but that's just experience.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The bike will have been a loaner from Yellow the Pinarello importers in the UK who also import Assos which coincidentally Hammond was clad head to toe in, incl. glasses and shoes. He just got caught in tram-lines and instead of just stopping (and not turning the bars), panicked. Seen it happen a couple of times in Mcr when the trams were put in. the rear mech was a broken hanger bolt and it did it's job. I noticed they still had time to change the pedals, mount the bar camera etc
    M.Rushton
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    It's quite fun that an archly pro-motorcar programme has generated so much interest from cyclists.

Clearly, some of the info in the script was horse poo... as already noted, the bike is not sub-1Kg.

I thought the road position was dubious, but you see that doorzone stuff in London too.

I used to cycle among trams (Sarajevo, Zagreb, Belgrade and elsewhere) and can confirm that a road bike is DEEPLY unsuited to the task. An MTB works well, but you need to be aware and cross the lines with the front wheel either unweighted or at a fairly steep angle.

The argument about whether the piece was faked or not is entirely moot. It's entertainment. It entertained. The only box on the sheet was ticked.
  • What made me laugh was that when he fell, loads of (what appear to be) energy gels fell out of his pockets. Loads more could be seen in his back pocket.

For a 30km ride? Seriously?
  • Why is everyone annoyed about the 850g comment? It's fairly clear he just missed saying frame.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • What made me laugh was that when he fell, loads of (what appear to be) energy gels fell out of his pockets. Loads more could be seen in his back pocket.

For a 30km ride? Seriously?

It may have been for another part of the filming which eventually got cut out?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    What made me laugh was that when he fell, loads of (what appear to be) energy gels fell out of his pockets. Loads more could be seen in his back pocket.

For effect? Seriously?

Yes, probably.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • class5700 wrote:
    I doubt there was any plan to have Richard fall off, just as they couldn't plan having James be thrown off a pony or any of the other innumerable accidents they've had over the years. they always manage to keep the camera rolling and stay in 'character', but that's just experience.

Somewhat suspicious lack of road rash or torn clothing wouldn't you agree? All I could see was a bit of dust on his shoulder. Its all a load of b0llocks
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    class5700 wrote:
    I doubt there was any plan to have Richard fall off, just as they couldn't plan having James be thrown off a pony or any of the other innumerable accidents they've had over the years. they always manage to keep the camera rolling and stay in 'character', but that's just experience.

Somewhat suspicious lack of road rash or torn clothing wouldn't you agree? All I could see was a bit of dust on his shoulder. Its all a load of b0llocks
    I don't know.
    The last 3 times that I have come off/been knocked off, my clothing came away unscathed.
    I on the other hand..... :(
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Can someone tell me why i should give the tiniest monkeys if it was fake or not?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Debeli wrote:
    It's quite fun that an archly pro-motorcar programme has generated so much interest from cyclists.

well cyclists do like cars too sometimes, we arent all unimodal in our transport choices, I only dislike cars when they try and hit me or get too close. 3 buffoons on tv making a comedy travel show driving around in them is fine.

And when theres a crossover like this, it always piques peoples interest, even if its gone a bit bike spec geeky, but inevitably the first thing the archetypal motorist in the office at the tea point says to you is, did you see the cyclist bit on Top Gear last night etc etc.

so as you say it entertains everyone whatever their interest in cars maybe
  • awavey wrote:
    Debeli wrote:

well cyclists do like cars too sometimes, we arent all unimodal in our transport choices, I only dislike cars when they try and hit me or get too close. 3 buffoons on tv making a comedy travel show driving around in them is fine.

You don't see a connection between the behaviour of many motorists towards cyclists and the popularity of a tv show that actively promotes aggressive and selfish road use? Top Gear is made by cnts and watched by cnts
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    No.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    awavey wrote:
    Debeli wrote:

You don't see a connection between the behaviour of many motorists towards cyclists and the popularity of a tv show that actively promotes aggressive and selfish road use? Top Gear is made by cnts and watched by cnts

Spoken like a true internet warrior. :roll: :lol:
  • I love top gear. I own an alfa.

I commute to work by bike. One of 3. 40 miles a day.

I am a cnut mind
  • awavey wrote:
    Debeli wrote:

No.

I don't think it promotes selfish road use at all, they try and offer a light hearted slant on electric cars etc and poke fun at eco friendly vehicles but they get their technical facts across in a manner that a layman can understand.

And then throw a super car in for good measure, followed an equally pointless trip across a desert to keep the ratings up.

Now get a grip, seriously.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • If it's true, which it isn't, the solution is clear. Ban all programming which may in any way influence any type of behaviour.

Welcome to 1984.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    If it's true, which it isn't, the solution is clear. Ban all programming which may in any way influence any type of behaviour.

Welcome to 1984.
    The year 1984 was great fun! :P
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I'm a girl, well off my peak fitness and I can maintain 16-17mph on the flat on my hybrid, so if you lot can't do 22mph... :p

Gutted to learn the whole bike didn't weight 860g. Sounded bonkers but I saw this thread and wanted to learn what on earth the saddle and tyres were made of. :D
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Gutted to learn the whole bike didn't weight 860g. Sounded bonkers but I saw this thread and wanted to learn what on earth the saddle and tyres were made of. :D

Unobtanium.....
  • Ouija wrote:
    pinkteapot wrote:

Unobtanium.....

nah that's Oakley!
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Hammond crashed both the Pinarello and the Merida and both crashes looked genuine to me. The crashes all helped to increase what drama there was in the film. Hammond is said to be a keen cyclist but what struck me was his apparent incompetence at riding. He never looked capable or confident on either of the bikes. And it looked to me that he had his saddle set too low on both bikes, particularly on the Merida on which he looked a bit like a chimp riding a bike at a circus.
  • Mercia Man wrote:
    Hammond crashed both the Pinarello and the Merida and both crashes looked genuine to me. The crashes all helped to increase what drama there was in the film. Hammond is said to be a keen cyclist but what struck me was his apparent incompetence at riding. He never looked capable or confident on either of the bikes. And it looked to me that he had his saddle set too low on both bikes, particularly on the Merida on which he looked a bit like a chimp riding a bike at a circus.

I also thought he looked a little out of sorts on them.

however, the term 'keen cyclist' can probably be defined fairly broadly.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    however, the term 'keen cyclist' can probably be defined fairly broadly.

That could define so many on this site. The Trek Emonda can prob. get closest to the quoted weight than anything else
    M.Rushton
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ddraver wrote:
    Can someone tell me why i should give the tiniest monkeys if it was fake or not?

You shouldn't but you ought to be a bit amused that anyone believes that any of this wasn't scripted including the crashes!

Incidentally, that ride must have seen the biggest ratio of bike value over helmet value the world has yet seen. How many vents did that thing Hammond was wearing have? Five??!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Everything on top gear is scripted, down to being under the flight path of an airbus A380 for video footage.
    Living MY dream.