Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

MTB computer recommendations

stevo1s77stevo1s77 Posts: 46
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm new to Mountain bike riding and being in the road for a while and I'm thinking of adding a computer to my bike, what would you recommend?

Thanks
Cube GTC Reaction SL - Green Black 2014
Cannondale Synapse 105 - 2012

• Chunkers1980Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    None. I find apps on smart devices much better.
  • Strava is good on your Smart phone but can hammer the battery a bit, Im using a Garmin 500 Edge with HR monitor and cadence sensor, gives plenty of performance data if thats your bag.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • I use strava on my z3 compact and its a great app, and only takes about 15% battery on a 2-3 hour ride.
    I also use Orux maps to follow a pre loaded route which also works well.
  • Chunkers1980Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    A smart device doesn't need to be a phone these days. My mate has a watch type device that uploads activities when within your WiFi.
  • snowstersnowster Posts: 487
    Just inherited my wife's old iphone 5 seems fine with strava used less than 10% battery for hour and half ride so seems fine to me, also have a cateye velo wireless cycle computer whick it one of the best I have used
  • njee20njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The Garmin Edge range are excellent, and do one to suit most budgets. Smart phones aren't bad, but are bulky to have on your bars, and a bit vulnerable, not to mention expensive.
  • Dave_P1Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Garmin Edge 810 if you require mapping, if not, go for the 510.
  • zntrxzntrx Posts: 27
    I use a Sony ArcS that I bought for £35 off eBay. ipbike app & in a topeak drybag. It has ant+ and I use it with Garmin hrm, cadence & speed sensors.

This gives me equivalent functionality to a Garmin 810 at a fraction of the cost. Big selling point for me was that I don't really worry much about crashing and wrecking the phone as it's comparatively cheap to replace the phone where an 810 would cost around £200.
  • njee20njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    Garmin Edge 810 if you require mapping, if not, go for the 510.

Rather budget contingent. I'd get the 1000 over the 810. Or rather, I did.
  • mudsuckermudsucker Posts: 704
    Depends what you want it to do. I use a Cateye velo 7 (about £15 on CRC) on my MTB and roady so i can get a quick view of my speed, average speed, distance and time.

I keep my phone in my pocket running Endomondo to analyse my ride in more detail afterwards.
    Fuelled by cake!

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp for playing in the mud.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
    1987 Peugeot Tour 10