MTB computer recommendations

stevo1s77
stevo1s77 Posts: 46
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm new to Mountain bike riding and being in the road for a while and I'm thinking of adding a computer to my bike, what would you recommend?

Thanks
Cube GTC Reaction SL - Green Black 2014
Cannondale Synapse 105 - 2012

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    None. I find apps on smart devices much better.
  • Strava is good on your Smart phone but can hammer the battery a bit, Im using a Garmin 500 Edge with HR monitor and cadence sensor, gives plenty of performance data if thats your bag.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • I use strava on my z3 compact and its a great app, and only takes about 15% battery on a 2-3 hour ride.
    I also use Orux maps to follow a pre loaded route which also works well.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    A smart device doesn't need to be a phone these days. My mate has a watch type device that uploads activities when within your WiFi.
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Just inherited my wife's old iphone 5 seems fine with strava used less than 10% battery for hour and half ride so seems fine to me, also have a cateye velo wireless cycle computer whick it one of the best I have used
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The Garmin Edge range are excellent, and do one to suit most budgets. Smart phones aren't bad, but are bulky to have on your bars, and a bit vulnerable, not to mention expensive.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Garmin Edge 810 if you require mapping, if not, go for the 510.
  • zntrx
    zntrx Posts: 27
    I use a Sony ArcS that I bought for £35 off eBay. ipbike app & in a topeak drybag. It has ant+ and I use it with Garmin hrm, cadence & speed sensors.

This gives me equivalent functionality to a Garmin 810 at a fraction of the cost. Big selling point for me was that I don't really worry much about crashing and wrecking the phone as it's comparatively cheap to replace the phone where an 810 would cost around £200.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    Garmin Edge 810 if you require mapping, if not, go for the 510.

Rather budget contingent. I'd get the 1000 over the 810. Or rather, I did.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Depends what you want it to do. I use a Cateye velo 7 (about £15 on CRC) on my MTB and roady so i can get a quick view of my speed, average speed, distance and time.

I keep my phone in my pocket running Endomondo to analyse my ride in more detail afterwards.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.