De rosa idol ultegra disc 2015

2»

Comments

• I briefly owned an Idol disc Ultegra and have never been so disappointed in a bike. After waiting for 3 months for it I was firstly put off by the shear weight of the thing, mine weighed in at 8.8kg with a pair of carbon Look Keo pedals on. The main gripe I had though was the finish of the frame, I expected a lot better from De Rosa. Never rode it, as it went back to the shop and had a refund, so can't comment on the ride.
  • I actually think the finish is good. I guess the bare carbon finish isnt for everyone but generally the quality looks great. You're right about the weight though. Wheels had to go. Pretty much 2000 grammes all in. Saved half a kilo by fitting vision metron tubulars. SLR saddle saved another 100 grammes and another 180 by changing bars and seatpost. Still heavy compared to my other bikes but i guess this is the price you pay for having Di2 and discs.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Mine was shocking, it was definitely made on a Friday afternoon! Areas of it looked like someone had gone mad with a sander! The cut outs for the internal routing had been cut off line and then corrected which looked awful. If I knew how to attach pictures I'd post some. Did look at some Mavic Ksyrium pro disc wheels initially which would've dropped half a kilo but couldn't have justified spending another £1000+ getting it down to sub 8 kilo. Shame really because from a distance it looked stunning and always wanted a De Rosa. I ended up buying a BMC Team machine SLR01 Ultegra for the same price which was sub 7 kilo out of the box and is a completely different beast!
  • Not the best picture but you can see what I mean.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    6870 Di2 actually weighs less than a 6800 mechnical groupset. Although the disc version obviously more than negates this.
  • Glad mine doesn't look like that. I'm a fussy git and I'm pleased to say mine is finished beautifully. I'll post mine up later. Got it to 8kg exactly. Not too bad considering the discs and di2 plus the fact the frame is heavier than the non disc version.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • The naked carbon look is a bit hit and miss. I've seen plenty of bikes with awful looking blemishes on them. That doesn't actually bother me as much as the misaligned cut outs would.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Quick update...ive killed it:-( 439 miles in and I've cracked the frame some how

51CBC100-2121-41E5-BC6E-C91638852C85_zpsau1ecf7l.jpg

EA62163B-6E93-47E9-99A7-B8E2E593C34E_zpsntdklv9s.jpg
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Eeek! Not good. I assume i-ride are sorting it all out under warranty ?will you want a replacement of the same frame though?

I've got my caliper idol now just need to post pics when I get the chance to take some.
    Insert witty signature here
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Looks like when my rear deraileur hit the spokes, spun round, cracking the carbon. The bike shop says its a common(ish) sight.

Got mine repaired for £150, as good as new.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I guess they are sorting as last I knew they were looking at it .. As for a replacement I think it's like for like ... I hope this doesn't happen again as il personally drive the bike to them and sort it my self
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2