Best place to mount a gopro?

stoychgreyjoy
stoychgreyjoy Posts: 14
edited May 2016 in MTB general
Hello..

I just been given an gopro by my lovely wifely! Where is the best place to mount my gopro on my bike?

Comments

• Good question. I have mine mounted on the tank of my motorbike with a suction mount, but I'm thinking that top of the helmet would probably be best for a push bike? I would also be interested to hear others opinions.

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have tried the bars - not good

Chest mount isn't bad but better for skiing in my opinion. I now have a helmet with a removable mount point so if I ever actually bother taking it riding I guess up there will do.

You can get it on various other tubes of the bike for interesting shots but most of them wouldnt work for a whole trail.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Yep I'd agree with paul.skibum. The bar mount is pretty unstable and you can't see any of the bike in the shot. I've been using the chest mount for a while and find it okay, can check the vids in my sig as they are all filmed on a chest mount. Plan on getting a helmet mount soon though, have heard its the best for getting a stable shot.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Bar mount is terrible. I prefer on the top of my helmet.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Bearing in mind that stacks are to be expected while MTBing, is a helmet mount a good idea?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Yes. GoPro cases are extremely tough. I know someone who drove a land rover defender over one and didn't break it. I don't like chest mounts because of the damage it could do if i land on it. Helmet mounts can break in a crash but they're cheap to replace.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    I have my Shimano Cam on gopro mounts under my bars on both road and MTB, perfectly stable footage thus far. Have a seatpost mount that doubles up to mount it on fishing rod/landing net :lol:

Didn't like it helmet mounted, it's not a big camera but the weight difference was appreciable
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You weren't riding hard enough then. Bar mount video is usually terrible.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    99% of gopro footage is terrible anyway.
  • rockmonkeysc
    That is very true.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    gopro footage is terrible and mind numbingly boring anyway.

FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:
    gopro footage is terrible and mind numbingly boring anyway.

FTFY

Not always. Sometimes people have horrific crashes.
  • Only just got my GoPro and have used it on a cheap chest mount.
    Had it set on SuperView (really wide angle) which seemed to work well with seeing some of the bike.
    I mounted the camera upside down and angled up slightly so that it was vertical in the riding position.
    Also have a helmet mount which I've not tried yet.
  • See a couple of Vids recently shot from under the bars using tape to reduce movement etc. Looked good. As is the way with homemade action vids, short with multiple angles is often the least boring.

Are people using particular 3rd parties to buy unofficial GoPro accessories from, or are they mostly pooh, and therefore, best to use official products??

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • I got my chest and helmet mounts from Amazon (about £10 delivered for both iirc).
    Seem OK so far.
  • Thanks Dirkpitt74, I'll take a look.
    And what about class 10 32gb micro dad's etc?

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    See a couple of Vids recently shot from under the bars using tape to reduce movement etc. Looked good. As is the way with homemade action vids, short with multiple angles is often the least boring.

Are people using particular 3rd parties to buy unofficial GoPro accessories from, or are they mostly pooh, and therefore, best to use official products??

Paul
    Ebay cheap stuff seems 100% so far.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My friend uses a chest mount and it gets good shots and you get to see some of the bike which makes for better shots.

Under the bars will always be better than above as gravity is working to stabilise and not destabilise the mount.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I use chest mount, as already mentioned, mount it upside down and tilted upwards a bit. I've gone over the bars with it on, the mount just unclipped, cam was fine but the lens on the case got scratched, ordered a new one (didn't realise it was actually glass) and it came with new screws and seals, quite impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e96T6QOyEHs
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Best place to mount a gopro?

On a tripod or a mate's hand.
    Where is the best place to mount my gopro on my bike?

If you're just doing a single run of a techy trail, then ideally on your seatpost, looking backwards, videoing a friend who's following you.

Alternatively, on a "big day out" type ride, then the best thing to do is to set it up on your handlebars to take still shots automatically every so often (10 - 30 second intervals work quite well) - you tend to get some cracking photos of the trail, scenery and your mates, without hours and hours of boring, jerky video to watch.
  • I have the GoPro Hero HD entry level job. As it is a sealed unit, if you scratch the lens you're stuffed, or so I hear, so was thinking would a 3m tape of some description help protect it or ruin the picture capture etc?

• Thoughts anyone? Anyone tried it?

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    On my hero 3+ the lens is inside the case so I don't worry about that. Could try the stuff you protect a smartphone screen with?
  • Yes, that sounds like an option. I wouldnt normally bother, and I never use screen protectors on iphones etc., but I'm far more clumsy on my bike where this will be mostly used :)

• NUT-R
    NUT-R Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    Hey all, I noticed the thread and I thought I would draw your attention to another option for mounting action cameras on your bike. The Mount is not as applicable to MTBs as it is roadbikes, but it might be of interest anyway.

I am the owner of NUT-R® which has developed a method of attaching an Action Camera to a bike's axle. The footage offered by this new angle is superb and is virtually vibration free. Please don't take my word from it...we have videos of it in action on our website (http://www.nut-r.co.uk) and it was also reviewed by the well-known "DCRainmaker" cycle tech guru: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/04/gopr ... mount.html

Here are some videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5JRKK93sL8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2KoCRUwZxk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=furFY_j ... e=youtu.be

If you would like further information on the Mount then there is plenty information on our website (http://www.nut-r.co.uk) or just reply to the thread (or you can email me directly at contact@nut-r.co.uk).

Thanks,

Greig
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Any vids of it on a MTB, you know the section of the forum you posted this in.
  • NUT-R
    NUT-R Posts: 2
    Hi Briggo, yes thanks for highlighting this! I just updated my post after noticing the MTB connection.
    I don't have any footage on MTB but its on my "to do" so I will upload it when its complete. Cheers
  • rockmonkeysc
    I can't think of a worse place to mount a camera on a mountain bike. It'll get hit off by a rock or stump in no time. Plus if it can handle the much more extreme vibration of a mountain bike wheel it's in the wrong place to get decent video.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I can't think of a worse place to mount a camera on a mountain bike. It'll get hit off by a rock or stump in no time. Plus if it can handle the much more extreme vibration of a mountain bike wheel it's in the wrong place to get decent video.

With you on this, OK on a road bike where its smooth it may work, off road no chance you would end up with a juddering image from the fork travel, it would end up caked in what ever your mates riding through in front of you an in the case of many trails simply whacked off from running down gulleys.

Personally ive never got on with on the top of the lid to many low branches my way for that, either side of the helmet or under the bar. Road bikes got a nifty combined Garmin GoPro mount which works brilliantly.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    My SJ4000 gives much more interesting views when helmet mounted than chest mounted, whether skiing on MTB'ing.

Helmet mounted has the big plus of going where you go and added stability I think from the natural suspension of the rider.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)