What do you carry with you on every ride?

2»

Comments

• Chain tool and spare link. I'm not sure what people will do if their chain snaps. It's not happened to me fully but it's game over if it does.

I carry the usual multi-tool and, yes, my chain snapped (through my poor maintenance of not cleaning after a wet ride). The chain split across a link; tried splitting the chain with the very small multi-tool. No success. Solution - freewheel 4 miles to Halfords, pay for them to fit a new chain and cycle home.

Still, if I was further away, the taxi money and/or family support crew (aka Mrs M) would be called on.
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • Handful of Cadbury's Chocolate Eclairs (to be sucked at a rate of 1 eclair per 10km travelled - I'm powered by these)
    Mini CO2 cylinder tyre inflator
    Self-adhesive patches (two brands - any two - just I've had one patch dry out through lack of use...)
    Inner tube & tyre boot
    Multi-tool (including chain tool)
    Tyre levers (light plastic ones - Topeak Shuttle 1.1 I think they are)
    Appropriate chain quick link
    Mini Pump (after being caught short with a second puncture and having used all my CO2)
    Space blanket (nothing like changing a tube in -4C with snow falling to induce hypothermic feelings)

Can you tell I cycle in a rural area with b
    all phone coverage?
  • Fabius
    Fabius Posts: 56
    holiver wrote:
    I think most people have covered the essentials. However, I also carry a bit of paper that says what to do incase of an accident and some ID that gives emergency contact information.

This is the most important thing to take on any solo ride.
  • I know some people are showing a bit of frustration that this is an old or repeated topic but for what its worth as a new rider this is invaluable information that has already altered what I take with me on a ride.

I like the idea about the contact info although doubt someones initial reaction to finding someone should the worst happen would be to riffle through their pockets. guess there is a bracelet or something that exists ?
  • First aid trainers suggest an ICE (in case of emergency) contact on your phone, but that, of course, means you shouldn't lock your phone.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    edited February 2015
    Threw my chain tool out of my pack to save weight on a sportive at the weekend, largely as I have yet to need it. Saw a stranded rider, asked if we could help and his chain had snapped. If I had my tool, I would have been able to get him going but he had to call control and wait for help. I think I will keep it with me in future on any long ride where I dont want to risk hours at the side of the road...

Also just downloaded an app called 'GoodSAM alerter' after a talk from the guys who set it up yesterday. It keeps track of all the St Johns, ambulance service and other trained responders and if you trigger an alert notifies the 3 nearest you, shows locations of defibrilators and pinpoints you on a map to these responders and the emergency services. Its all free so you never know - I will have this with me now too!
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    With regard to a chain tool - do they need to be 11/10/9 speed compatible to be able to break a chain? I have a KMC 11 speed chain, and carry a couple of the KMC magic links with me. But my multi tool is from the 9 speed days. Will this suffice, or should I look into replacing it with an 11 speed version? (I have a full size 11 speed chain tool at home)
  • apreading
    As far as I am aware, the chain tool will be the same. The quick links are different though - but in a pinch you might get away with a non-optimal quick link to finish a ride, provided the quick link is wider rather than narrower than the proper pins.
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Ah I have the right speed links, is just the tool that is not 11 speed, so sounds like I should be ok.
  • apreading
    Ah, reading a little more, it looks like any tool should be fine for breaking a chain but replacing a bin in one (i.e. if not using a quick link) afterwards needs to flare out the end of the pin which means it needs to be the right depth.

Looking on the web, it is not clear how much of an issue this is though, e.g. Pedros website: "Nearly every chain tool we offer can be used on 11-speed chains. The one exception is the chain tool on the ICM Multi-Tool which will work on single-speed through 10 speed chains."
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    You can close a chain with any chaintool, but the connection won't be reliable on 10/11 speed chains.
    That's why you need a quicklink.
  • quick link for rides, chain tool at home, repair on the ride, fix when you get home
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • apreading
    KevChallis wrote:
    quick link for rides, chain tool at home, repair on the ride, fix when you get home

You will need the chain tool on the ride to remove the broken link before you can put the quick link in.
  • kenong
    kenong Posts: 21
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    I'm new to road riding, having ridden an MTB in the past, and so I have been used to either carrying a ruck sack or stuffing a saddle bag full of kit/tools etc.

What is the bare minimum that you would take on a 2-3 hour ride?

I'm guessing:
    1-2 spare tubes
    puncture kit
    levers
    multi-tool
    CO2/pump

Have I missed anything?

Welcome to roadbiking!

For myself these are what I will bring on a 2-3 hours ride:

2 spare tubes
    CO2 (1 shot)
    Mini pump
    ID card
    Cold hard cash
    Mobile phone
    Mini tool kit (w/ attached tyre levers)
    Water proof plastic container
    1 Power Bar (if 2-3 hours non stop ride)
    Sun block/screen (if day time)

If it is for a quick 1 hour interval training or recovery:

1 spare tube
    Mini pump
    ID card
    Cold hard cash
    Mobile phone
    Mini tool kit (w/ attached tyre levers)
    Water proof plastic container
  • As I have the mountains right here, and weather can be changeable, I will always take a gillet and some type of neck warmer.

I would also like to add that going out for a cycle should be simple. Always have what you need right there, either ready packed in the small seat bag or easy to scoop up on your way out. Too much to do before going out shortens your ride time and may even stop you going.