Minor operation in 3 weeks. Training advice?

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
I'm having a bit of septoplasty and turbinate reduction in 3 weeks, which I am obviously very excited about.
Anyway, now I've had the date through I'm thinking I should ramp up the training as much as I can and use the weeks following the op to recover. I think an optimistic recovery time is around 3 weeks - maybe some light exercise after a week.

Just wondered if there were any obvious flaws in my plan?

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Excessive hard training can impact the ability of your body to recover from the surgery - since it also is recovering from the training.
    I think the wise course is to be in the best physical condition to allow for successful surgery and its needed recovery period.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    Thanks Jay,

Good point. Wasn't really thinking about recovering from the op. More of using the enforced rest to recover from the training!
    Might have got my priorities a bit wrong there...
  • iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    Not an expert in this specific field but friend who is has said would advise two weeks off exercise after.

Reasoning is mainly due to increased risk of post operative bleeding which can:
    -damage the healing mucosa over turbinates
    -result in septal haematoma/abscess with resultant necrosis of the cartilage (think Daniella Westbrook!)

Am sure your own surgeon will be happy to advise you if ask at the time of op.