What device for Strava uploading?

Dippydog3
Dippydog3 Posts: 414
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
When I travel with my bike I use my Garmin 800 to record my rides. At home it is easy, I just plug it into my Mac and sync. Away from home it is not that easy as the 800 has no wireless connectivity and I do not travel with a laptop.

What I need is a simple solution to this upload problem. One that allows me to upload straight after a ride but

1. Does not entail running Strava on a phone.
2. Involves ditching iphone. Apart from this one thing I love it.
3. Involves ditching the 800. Apart from this one thing I love it.
4. Involves buying a laptop. Not going to happen.
5. Involves internet cafes.

The only thing I can come up with is to buy a cheap phone, like a Sony, that supports micro USB. Could I upload the file then?

Any other suggestions? Shame there isnt a USB dongle for the iphone.

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I think pretty much any smartphone would do the job as most have a micro usb port (this is what charges most phones) although I'm not sure how the Garmin works so I'm not sure if you can just send the file to the Phone without some sort of software.

If you don't want to spend a lot try and pick up something off Ebay.

Something like this would do the job and is actually a very good phone:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LG-Google-Nex ... 3a9f545ff3
  • Probably be easier buying an 810 or 1000 and selling the 800?
  • Dippydog3
    Probably be easier buying an 810 or 1000 and selling the 800?

Contravenes rule 3. And I do not want to be forced to going via Garmin Connect.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Goes against your rule 3 but a Garmin 920 pairs via Bluetooth I believe so should be able to upload via your phone.
    Your 800 must be better than mine if this is the only thing you hate. The directions drive me mental, go wrong on a circular route and it directs me the shortest way to the end or if I use it as a sat nav if I'm lost, it suggests routes that are way longer than need to be. Oh and the stopper over the charging port won't stay in.
  • I sold my 800 and got an 810 for this reason, now upload my 810 via my phone no problem.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    I don't think what you want can be done while also meeting all your conditions. a 510/810 with a smartphone using garmin connect will automatically upload to Garmin Connect, which can automatically upload to Strava. You don't have t bother logging in. It is so quick that I save a ride as I stop. I put my bike away, go into the house anfd look at Strava and it's there.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Get something like es file explorer on you phone and a otg usb cable.

Plug your garmin into your phone, using your browser on your phone go to the strava website and choose upload activity and choose file, browse to the fit file and upload it.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    A good memory and then a quick Google to get the exact page and hey presto, all you need to know (hopefully):

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/06/garm ... rface.html
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Cool - so it's possible. I stand corrected.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Dippydog3
    brettjmcc wrote:
    A good memory and then a quick Google to get the exact page and hey presto, all you need to know (hopefully):

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/06/garm ... rface.html
    Yes, I am a fan of his work, but he doesnt have a solution either. As he says in your linked article

"unfortunately, getting workouts off of the USB-transfer devices like your Garmin Edge or Forerunner 10/110/210/Fenix isn’t possible. The reasons for this primarily sit on the Apple side, which doesn’t allow you to enumerate up those USB devices."
  • Dippydog3
    freezing77 wrote:
    Get something like es file explorer on you phone and a otg usb cable.

Plug your garmin into your phone, using your browser on your phone go to the strava website and choose upload activity and choose file, browse to the fit file and upload it.

I am looking for a solution if possible that doesnt involve another phone.
  • Dippydog3
    cattytown wrote:
    You can restand uncorrected. No solution yet.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    cattytown wrote:
    You can restand uncorrected. No solution yet.

Try contacting Ray to see if he can help? He probably has far better knowledge and insight than most of us on here. Whenever I have asked a question he has responded.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    It seems you already have the solution if you have an IPhone.

Why complicate things? Just put Strava on the iPhone and jobs done.

Or if you are worried about the IPhone battery not lasting then sell the iPhone and buy yourself a proper phone :D
  • nibby wrote:

if you are worried about the IPhone battery not lasting then sell the iPhone and buy yourself a proper phone :D

In which case Mophie Juice Packs exists to greatly extend battery life (double /treble) six hours plus using GPS.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    cattytown wrote:
    I don't think what you want can be done while also meeting all your conditions. a 510/810 with a smartphone using garmin connect will automatically upload to Garmin Connect, which can automatically upload to Strava. You don't have t bother logging in. It is so quick that I save a ride as I stop. I put my bike away, go into the house anfd look at Strava and it's there.

I known to doesn't meet all the OP's needs and desires, but touring with a 510 over Christmas, I was so impressed with the link between Garmin Connect and Strava, uploading via my iPhone.

Took seconds whenever we were at a hotel with wifi - open garmin connect on phone, turn on gps and go to activities, choose the ride and press upload and that is it. It will appear on strava within a couple of minutes.

Great for life on the road.
  • Dippydog3
    nibby wrote:
    It seems you already have the solution if you have an IPhone.

Why complicate things? Just put Strava on the iPhone and jobs done.

Or if you are worried about the IPhone battery not lasting then sell the iPhone and buy yourself a proper phone :D
    Clearly you did not read rules 1 and 2! :D

I have a Mophie juice pack for hiking, but I am not going to lug it around on my bike. I sometimes spend two or three days away from a charging facility and there is no way a phone, even with a juice pack is going to run GPS all that time.

Besides which, to support the capture of data I need to plug an ANT+ dongle into the phone, which prevents the use of a juice pack.

The rules are there for a reason!
  • Get yourself an android phone such as the s4 they have ant+ built in.

Or choose one of the 100 on this list

http://www.thisisant.com/directory/filter/~/60/~/
  • I would basically say that meeting all your criteria isn't possible. The only way to get the data off the Garmin is via USB and you haven't got anything with you that works with USB. You could just wait until you get home and then sync?
  • Dippydog3
    freezing77 wrote:
    Get yourself an android phone such as the s4 they have ant+ built in.

Or choose one of the 100 on this list

http://www.thisisant.com/directory/filter/~/60/~/
    That breaks rules one and two.

There are many good reasons for the rules.
  • Dippydog3
    I would basically say that meeting all your criteria isn't possible. The only way to get the data off the Garmin is via USB and you haven't got anything with you that works with USB. You could just wait until you get home and then sync?
    If it was easy I wouldnt have to ask here! :D

I was hoping somebody had found a clever solution like hacking the camera connection kit or something. Clearly that proves that IOS is physically capable of reading external files, even if Apple haven't made it easy.
  • I'm sure that if you were to jailbreak there would be something which you could use to mount the Garmin as an external drive. Even then how you'd get the file into Strava is tricky unless you can do a remote desktop back to your Mac or something.
  • Dippydog3
    I'm sure that if you were to jailbreak there would be something which you could use to mount the Garmin as an external drive. Even then how you'd get the file into Strava is tricky unless you can do a remote desktop back to your Mac or something.
    Strava on a browser will upload a file from an external drive. The problem is reading the drive.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    This is the GPS equivalent of a Manc33 thread!
  • Dippydog3 wrote:
    Strava on a browser will upload a file from an external drive. The problem is reading the drive.

It will, on the website, on your Mac. Safari on the iPhone can't upload files AFAIK.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    There may be something you can do with an SD card with built in wireless and emailing your workouts to Strava from your iPhone. It would depend on the Garmin being able to write workouts to the SD card, your iPhone being able to see the file over the wifi and adding it to an email to send to strava.
    I have no idea if it would work and I have neither a Garmin nor a wireless SD card to try it, most wireless SD cards and associated apps are designed around transferring photos as far as I can see. Might be some mileage in this method but complex and no guarantee whatsoever of success. Fun engineering project if you're that way inclined though.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Dippydog3 wrote:

It will, on the website, on your Mac. Safari on the iPhone can't upload files AFAIK.

As I hinted in my post above if you can attach the workout to an email you can mail it to Strava

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2095 ... va-Website
  • The simple solution is to buy an Edge 810 or a 1000. Dippy doesn't appear to be short of a bob or two so as an exercise in stimulating creative ideas this thread gets 10/10, usefulness of other peoples time 1.5/10.
  • How about one of these and use the micro sd card in your garmin to record data if you do not already.
    Remove the micro sd place it in the usual adapter and use this device to send it to your phone.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/pqi-air-drive-wireless-wifi-mobile-sd-card-storage-device-a85lc?gclid=Cj0KEQiAiuOlBRCU-8D6idaPz_UBEiQAzTagNEtM3KnklgkQSS18ynzwjUESthcUAIc7NWZcqXoWV_8aAsgm8P8HAQ