One piece of advice...

Comments

• Put your hands into the drops when going downhill! I didn't when I got my first road bike...result- broken shoulder.

I don't see how one follows the other?
  • BR_Gregor
    BR_Gregor Posts: 222
    There are some great tips here, guys. Thanks for contributing. I'm thinking of rounding up some of the best and making them into an article to help out other new riders. Could prove very useful – will give you a credit if I do! Cheers, Gregor (Beginners and Family, Editor, BikeRadar).
    Communities and On Your Bike Editor, BikeRadar
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    1) KEEP CYCLING. You can only get fitter and stronger. The good days will outweigh the bad. After 5 minutes I don't notice bad weather (yesterday I was even too warm going uphill and did not even notice it stop raining). Theres worse things to spend your money on. Once you get into a routine of going out you'll get used to it to the point of addiction (same with running).
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • be prepared. take enough basic tools to help out in case of emergency and a mobile to call for a cab/help if you need it.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Thanks again for the great advice.

My fears of using clipless pedals came true this morning, I managed about 200 metres before I had to stop at a junction (on a very quiet residential road) and I never thought about unclipping, went to pull my foot off the pedal and fell sideways without my feet ever coming off the pedals. I was laughing before I even hit the the floor! The reason I had to stop was because a van was coming up the road and I looked up expecting a guy to be laughing his head off, but instead he had wound his window down to ask if I was OK - it was only the local Boardman rep in his Boardman van. What are the chances of that! I told him it was my first time using clipless pedals and he laughed and said don't worry it's happened to all of us at some point.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Commute to work
    Join a club

Treat yourself to every bit of unnecessary equipment that you desire ..........

Enjoy it.
  • Lots of advice on here re. carrying puncture repair kit,etc, all of which I do. But rather than carrying a mini-pump I recommend a C02 tyre inflator. I used to carry a mini-pump in my back Jersey pocket;if you get a puncture the pump will re inflate your tyre enough to get you out of trouble, but it takes lots of pumping to get a reasonable pressure. But recently I replaced the pump with a CO2 tyre inflator and now if I have to reinflate the tyre it takes about 5 seconds and the tyre is hard. Had a puncture last weekend and boy was I glad I didn't have to get any colder pumping the tyre up! The CO2 cartridges cost about 7 pounds for 6 from Wiggle and as you use a single cartridge once to inflate a tyre, it costs just over a pound every time you get a puncture. But it's worth it.

The other thing I'd second is getting a decent track pump for home. Makes getting the correct pressure in your tyres a doddle.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    They asked a load of Pro cyclists this question. I can only ever remember two, so to me they're memorable.

David Millar - always ride with clean shoes.

Philipe GIlbert - Attack on the false flat towards the top of a hill, no on the steep bit.

There you go.
  • Never assume any driver has seen you, knows where you are going, how fast you are going, that they know where you are when turning left. Treat them all as idiots and expect at least one to do something stupid.

Post of the year! Everyone should have to recite this three times before being allowed to ride a bike.
  • jazgill
    jazgill Posts: 98
    Never assume any driver has seen you, knows where you are going, how fast you are going, that they know where you are when turning left. Treat them all as idiots and expect at least one to do something stupid.

This
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585

David Millar - always ride with clean shoes.

Best get my toe cover thingies in the wash then.
  • When ever you get in conversation with another cyclist keep dropping the word cadence into the conversation at any opportunity, don't worry if it's not relevant to the conversation, just say it anyway.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Compete if you want, race if you want or go on Strava if you want. But every so often make sure you just go out for a ride for the pure enjoyment of it. One of my favourite cycling quotes (can't remember who said it) - "You are only a bike ride away from a good mood".
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Just ride your bike!
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Lots of advice on here re. carrying puncture repair kit,etc, all of which I do. But rather than carrying a mini-pump I recommend a C02 tyre inflator. I used to carry a mini-pump in my back Jersey pocket;if you get a puncture the pump will re inflate your tyre enough to get you out of trouble, but it takes lots of pumping to get a reasonable pressure. But recently I replaced the pump with a CO2 tyre inflator and now if I have to reinflate the tyre it takes about 5 seconds and the tyre is hard. Had a puncture last weekend and boy was I glad I didn't have to get any colder pumping the tyre up! The CO2 cartridges cost about 7 pounds for 6 from Wiggle and as you use a single cartridge once to inflate a tyre, it costs just over a pound every time you get a puncture. But it's worth it.

But then what if you run out of canisters? You'll still need your pump.
    The other thing I'd second is getting a decent track pump for home. Makes getting the correct pressure in your tyres a doddle.

I would say it's an essential bit of kit for all cyclists. Mini or frame pumps are only for emergencies. Even if you're using CO2 you still need to deflate and reinflate with air once you get home.
  • tumblr_n0vhfv0UKo1qkbpdro1_500.jpg
  • I agree with the above that a pump is essential. When repairing a puncture by the roadside in often less than ideal conditions (usually dark and raining in my experience), you can never be sure you've eliminated the cause of the puncture and a second or even third puncture is always a possibility. This scenario is thankfully rare but the puncture fairy is a fickle and contrary thing.

Mini pumps will easily fit into a jersey pocket. So of course you need a cycling jersey, and some cycling shorts. And shoes, obviously, and mitts and...........
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Lots of advice on here re. carrying puncture repair kit,etc, all of which I do. But rather than carrying a mini-pump I recommend a C02 tyre inflator. I used to carry a mini-pump in my back Jersey pocket;if you get a puncture the pump will re inflate your tyre enough to get you out of trouble, but it takes lots of pumping to get a reasonable pressure. But recently I replaced the pump with a CO2 tyre inflator and now if I have to reinflate the tyre it takes about 5 seconds and the tyre is hard. Had a puncture last weekend and boy was I glad I didn't have to get any colder pumping the tyre up! The CO2 cartridges cost about 7 pounds for 6 from Wiggle and as you use a single cartridge once to inflate a tyre, it costs just over a pound every time you get a puncture. But it's worth it.

But then what if you run out of canisters? You'll still need your pump.
    Absolutely agree.

CO2 inflators are not a direct replacement for a mini pump. If you have a failed repair, need to help a riding buddy, have multiple punctures - multiple canisters needed. How many is enough? There's no right number to cover all eventualities. Also if you need to inflate the tube out of the tyre to locate a problem or want to partially inflate to get the tube installed properly without twists or pinches or to manipulate the tyre bead to seat properly a mini pump is the tool for the job.
    A pump is essential. A CO2 inflator is an optional additional piece of kit, not a replacement. Great for emergencies such as in an event or to get high pressures that can be tough or impossible with mini-pumps. I have both. Always bring the pump, often bring the CO2.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have just had to buy another co2 pump as the valve wouldn't open on the tacx one i had (used about 6 times total) even when I have used this it is as a top up to a hand pumped tyre just to get the pressure right. I have never known a pump completely fail unless its been through neglect. Plus i can always test my pump before I leave to make sure it works.
  • Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    Don't lock your quick release levels inline with the frame/fork

a) it isn't aero dynamic :lol:

b) if you do it really tight, you wont be able to get your fingers behind them to undo.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    You do not live in the gutter. Nor do you need to ride in it. Assert you right to be on the road.

Oh - and remember, what goes around...: always offer to help another cyclist who may need it. You may never know when this karma will come back to your aid (taken from personal experience, and no - I'm not a Buddhist :wink:)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    dstev55 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Seriously?

Pick the one that fits best and you like the look of, as that will make you enjoy it and want to ride it more.

I'm not looking for advice on what bike to get, I know which bike I'm getting (you can't get a Cyclescheme certificate without choosing your bike first). I am simply asking what is the one piece of advice an experienced rider would give to a newcomer.

Oh yes you can.

I've bought 3 bikes on the scheme and NEVER chosen the bike in advance.

If the voucher is late then it's your employer who is holding things up. Our vouchers were issued pre-Xmas for the 2015 scheme.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Practice the common roadside repairs from the comfort of your home, using only the tools you intend to carry with you. So no using the trackpump and your other heavy stuff from the garage!

This serves two purposes, firstly it's practice, but also you have confidence that you have what you need with you.
  • dstev55
    Navrig2 wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Seriously?

Pick the one that fits best and you like the look of, as that will make you enjoy it and want to ride it more.

I'm not looking for advice on what bike to get, I know which bike I'm getting (you can't get a Cyclescheme certificate without choosing your bike first). I am simply asking what is the one piece of advice an experienced rider would give to a newcomer.

Oh yes you can.

If the voucher is late then it's your employer who is holding things up. Our vouchers were issued pre-Xmas for the 2015 scheme.

Your certificate is worth a certain value though, so I suppose strictly speaking you wouldn't need to pick the bike but you would need to pick a certain value unless you intend of putting some of your own money in. I'm guessing you're on a different scheme to me as I've not heard the term "voucher" (only certificate) and they were quite adamant they wanted to know which bike I was buying and where from (you have to put it on the application!)
  • navrig2
    dstev55 wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Seriously?

Oh yes you can.

Your certificate is worth a certain value though, so I suppose strictly speaking you wouldn't need to pick the bike but you would need to pick a certain value unless you intend of putting some of your own money in. I'm guessing you're on a different scheme to me as I've not heard the term "voucher" (only certificate) and they were quite adamant they wanted to know which bike I was buying and where from (you have to put it on the application!)

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

On all 3 occassions I knew my budget but had not narrowed it down to a particular make or shop.
  • dstev55
    Navrig2 wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Seriously?

Oh yes you can.

On all 3 occassions I knew my budget but had not narrowed it down to a particular make or shop.

Not sure how you managed that, it clearly states on this page you need to obtain a quotation before you apply and the payment for that quotation will then be arranged....

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/employers/ ... heme-works
  • navrig2
    dstev55 wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Seriously?

Oh yes you can.

Not sure how you managed that, it clearly states on this page you need to obtain a quotation before you apply and the payment for that quotation will then be arranged....

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/employers/ ... heme-works

My guess it is down to the administration between the employer and the scheme. As long as the scheme gets its money then they don't really care about quotes etc. Ourr company has 100+ "purchases" every year and they are all processed at the end of December. I doubt they have the resources to check that many.
  • When you need to perform repairs or upgrades, buy the tools and learn to do it yourself if you can. I've never had a bike shop do anything to my bikes but I have a mate at work who gets them to do everything - it's ridiculous!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Roux_guy wrote:
    When you need to perform repairs or upgrades, buy the tools and learn to do it yourself if you can. I've never had a bike shop do anything to my bikes but I have a mate at work who gets them to do everything - it's ridiculous!

if you were a good mate you could volunteer to do it for him and save him some cash. :-)
  • I would but he's a colleague and we're not really pals, ha, ha.