Elite Turbo Muin Sensors

fuzzdog
fuzzdog Posts: 196
Hello
I just got an Elite turbo Muin. I need to get a sensor to record speed and cadence. The thing is I was going to get a sensor to record the same for my bike while I'm actually riding on the road. Probably a Wahoo Blue SC. I don't really want to have to buy two sensors that do the same job. Can anyone tell me if the Wahoo will work with the Muin trainer or if indeed the Elite BT sensor for the Muin will work while on the road.

Comments

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've also just started using an Elite Muin, and am considering getting a sensor to run with their training app. There is a magnet already fitted to the flywheel, but on the right hand side, so the sensor needs to be on the right attached to the housing not your frame. I don't think the Elite sensor is able to be fitted to the bike frame, so you couldn't keep swapping it from the frame to the housing. I guess the Wahoo sensor will pick up the magnet, if placed on the right hand side of the housing, but you'd still have the switching over issue if you wanted to use it on the road.

Ribble seem to have the best deal on Elite sensors at the moment.
  • fuzzdog
    Hi Termite.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've asked a similar question of Elite and had a slightly vague reply. I suspect they don't want you to buy a wahoo or other sensor if it means they lose a sale on the Elite version. I am awaiting further confirmation.
    I did read ( cant remember where now) that some people are using other sensors including the wahoo and getting it to work although people do seem to have problems with the power reading ( even with the Elite sensor) I will come back to this when I get n answer from Elite.
    Cheers
  • fuzzdog
    In addition to that. This is what they say on the Rose bikes website where I bought the Muin.
    Which would seem to suggest (if true) that you can indeed use other manufacturers sensors.

For more information on the compatibility, you can use a program at http://configuro.elite-it.com/en .
    ** For the display of all training data, appropriate sensors are required. To measure speed and cadence, we recommend the TomTom Bluetooth Smart transmitter set, item no. 2014779 or for ANT+ transmission the Mio transmitter set, item no. 1910023. If you only want to measure the speed, you can use the Ciclosport ANT+ transmitter, item no. 1082250. For a Bluetooth transmission, we offer the Elite Misuro Blue sensor, item no. 2102074, that can be directly installed at the Turbo Muin indoor trainer for speed measurement. It is not possible to use two single sensors for cadence and speed. For the display of the heart rate via Bluetooth Smart or ANT+, you can e.g. use the Wahoo Fitness BT 4.0 chest strap, item no. 2013530.
  • jb001
    jb001 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I was hoping a owner of an older Elite Turbo Muin (Serial number below 30000) might be able to answer a question for me.
    I’ve got a chance to purchase an original Elite Turbo Muin at a good price but am trying to figure out if the additional sensors will communicate with my Garmin 810, and what data will actually be received.

How I imagine the set up would work is:

Equipment:
    Elite Turbo Muin unit (serial number below 30000)
    Misuro B+ sensor (ANT+)
    Garmin 810

Function:
    Turbo Muin to send speed/power/distance/cadence to Garmin

I did email Elite and got the following reply..

"Regarding your request:
    With your TurboMuin with serial number less than 30000 you have the following option:

- Use Misuro B+: on your Garmin you will be able to see: speed and power, but not the cadence
    - Use an ANT+ speed and cadence sensor: on your Garmin you will see speed and cadence, you will not have the power unless you have a power sensor on your bike"

..but, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information online and that the Elite support team is not always correct so I was hoping someone who has a similar set up might be able to confirm.

Also, if the Misuro B+ transmitts speed and power (assuming distance is also recorded), can I use my Wahoo RPM cadence sensor (no magnet needed) paired to my Garmin at the same time?

Thanks!
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    I'd have thought the only information the misuro will send out is Power. It doesn't know what gear you're in so cant determine cadence.
    I dont think you can get distance/speed. Its all about the power. Average power for the workout can be a guide.
    I use a garmin cadence sensor on the NDS crankarm that sends cadence to the Garmin 1000 and just wear a HRM. Any ANT + cadence sensor will work as long as its not dependent on having the rear wheel fitted :roll:
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    sebbyp wrote:
    I'd have thought the only information the misuro will send out is Power. It doesn't know what gear you're in so cant determine cadence.

I have no idea about the Elite but a lot of turbo trainers will tell you your cadence, they can tell by pules of speed through the drive train.