From 0-2ookm help.

bernard0368
bernard0368 Posts: 6
Hi looking for a little advise and help. I am planning to do a local 200km event for a charity in memory of my son.

Here is the problem.
I am 50, I have not been on a bike for over 30 years, completely unfit. Used to smoke up until three years ago.
I work 6-6 five days a week, I have two dogs that must get an hours walk min every day with out exception.
So time slips away easily in the week. I am under no illusions and have given my self a year do get in shape for this event.
I have bought a road bike in the sales a Mekk pinerolo, a cheap one I know but if needs be I can upgrade. I have done a couple of miles on it and unsurprisingly found it difficult.
My question is what fitness plane should I try put in place to give me a good chance of finishing this event.

thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Don't plan anything at the moment. Regular, frequent riding is key, for as long as you think you can manage - then build from there. Things will look a lot different once you have built up some base fitness.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    10kms, then 20 kms, then 25 kms, then 30 kms etc.
    Spend 6 months building your stamina, time on the bike and building up gradually is your solution.
    Best of luck and keep us posted.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    As Imposter says - just ride it regularly to get in to cycling. The first 3-4 weeks are going to be the hardest. Its going take at least 6 weeks for your bum to get used to it, around 8-10 weeks for your body to find the shape of a road bike comfortable and around 4-5 months before you start to notices muscles growing in the right places. That said, since you are at the start of your journey there are a few short cuts.

- Go see your GP and tell him what you plan. as a long term smoker, taking up Cardio exercise can actually be really bad short term. I don't want to put you off, but if you have any kind of CV issues, then cycling could make it worse.
    - make sure you warm up for each ride and do a 3-5 minute stretch (see my sig for example vids) after every ride. Stretching is going to really help avoid injuries and condition your body. Stretching avoids all the stiffness and tightness you'll get a day or two after each ride.
    - If you have weight to shed, think about a plan to do that too - makes the 200km ride a lot easier if you aren't dragging 3 or 4 kilo of beer belly with you.
    - can you do the odd jog - with the dog walks?
    - drink plenty of water

your plan should just be little and often to start and then gradually increase the duration. In about 2-3 months you can start thinking about training approaches which can give you faster gains in shorter time, but for now its about getting in to it.

Good luck, stick with it - Listen to your body
  • Hi looking for a little advise and help. I am planning to do a local 200km event for a charity in memory of my son.

Here is the problem.
    I am 50, I have not been on a bike for over 30 years, completely unfit. Used to smoke up until three years ago.
    I work 6-6 five days a week, I have two dogs that must get an hours walk min every day with out exception.
    So time slips away easily in the week. I am under no illusions and have given my self a year do get in shape for this event.
    I have bought a road bike in the sales a Mekk pinerolo, a cheap one I know but if needs be I can upgrade. I have done a couple of miles on it and unsurprisingly found it difficult.
    My question is what fitness plane should I try put in place to give me a good chance of finishing this event.

thanks

At this moment the most critically important thing you can possibly do is do not make any sort of plan.

You've got a year to get ready which is more than enough time. All you need to do for now is get riding your bike regularly, if that's just once a week then that's fine, distance is of no importance at the moment so if you just go out and around the block then great. It will be difficult at first but you'll know yourself when you can start to push out your hoirzons a little.

As the weather improves you'll be able to go out in the mornings or evenings during the week too. The dogs are a bit of an issue as that hour could be used for cycling :(. Best you can probably do is try walking quickly or even running with them instead? Running won't help your cycling muscles, but it will massive help your CV fitness which would be a big help.

Set yourself some goals for later in the year. e.g. http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/ and http://www.evanscycles.com have sportive events, you could pick a couple for the summer (you don't have to commit to any distances before the day!) then you have something to work towards.

When is the 200km ride you're doing?
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    edited January 2015
    I'd support the views above.

TLDR: You certainly can get yourself fit enough to ride 200km. Don't worry about plans, just try to ride as often as practical and each time try going a bit further than the last. Do however consider getting a good bike fit.

I started cycling 10 years ago fat, unfit and mid forties. I started by just riding an exercise bike watching boxed sets of 24. When these ran out I went out for a 20 mile ride and barely made it having to get off an push on a steep hill, being amazed when a young whippet sped past me faster than I went on the flat.

I simply carried on riding, each time trying to go a bit further. I ended up losing weight and going further faster. 6 months later I did my first century, 9 months later I rode 5000km following the route that year's tour de france.

All this got me pretty fit and I found I had hit a plateau in terms improving. That's when I got myself a power meter and started doing some structured training.

Looking back I think if I had visited forums like this then and tried to follow more complicated plans it would have been a mistake. Like you I was very busy and this would just have got in the way of riding my bike, which, at the start is the single most important thing.

The only thing I would have changed and would advise anyone starting up to do is get a good bike fit. It makes the world of difference and can change cycling from being a pain to a pleasure, especially if you plan to spend long days in the saddle. A good one will cost £100+ but is money well spent.

Best of luck.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • From what I can gather with the OP anyway he's doing 200km, he's not doing it at any particular pace, just doing the distance? 125 miles is all about endurance fitness, being able to fuel yourself properly and being comfortable on the bike. You don't really need specific training plans as such as long as on the weekends he has the time to put in some long rides.
  • Thanks every one,

@Mark, I know the dogs do take up a large chunk of time however they have to be looked after as well. As the longer nights come in I will have the extra hours to get out alright.
    I am getting out twice a week at the moment and I am up to 20km runs not with out difficulty, I may add. I am doing these Sat an Sun mornings, I feel I am leaving to much of a gap and cramming to much in.
    The ride is Feb 2016 so plenty of time I hope.

@Diy, I have been to the doctor and he is happy enough especially as I have been of the Cigs for a couple of year.
    Weight wise I am fairly average maybe a couple of Kg to loose (vanity) the doc was happy with my weight. The wife is a health freak so we do eat well.
    Jogging with the dogs is probably out as I have an knee issue which has issues with impact, thus the 200km as opposed to a half marathon.

I have a large incentive as I have blackmail promises of over 25k from family and friends, I probably should have thought of something easier but the charity was a massive help to my family and I in our time of need and they will deserve every penny and then some.

I
  • @ Bahzob, Yeah know about the whippets thought I was doing okay till i caught the blur in peripheral vison.
    Would a bike fit be a good thing? must look at that.

@Mark, I know it is an endurance cycle and fuel will be critical, so my doc says. This is something he has agreed to help with. The time limit on the run I believe is 8 hours as a competitive sod I don't want to be last.
  • 8 hours comes out at 15.6mph which includes stops to that's quite challenging. And you're doc is right, fuel is the main thing for that length of ride, that's the thing which catches out many who are just used to doing 20-30 mile rides who then step up to 60+, you have to eat and take rest stops part way. Is it an organised ride with feed stations etc?

With it being in Feb you're biggest issue is going to be next winter, you're going to gain a big amount of fitness through the summer it would be a shame to lose most of that in the winter months. You'll need to look at turbo trainers and of course cold weather kit!
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    First of all, well done on setting yourself such a challenge. Clearly you know where you are at fitness wise after those first few rides. However, don't be too downhearted with finding it a struggle, when I started I was late 30's, wasn't unfit and still found it a struggle to begin with. I'd guess a lot of people give in at these early stages, but in your case you can't quit and nor should you as once you get going you'll be amazed how quick you progress.

Have you considered buying a turbo trainer? I'd certainly recommend one, the main reason is that the weather or time constraints may hinder your progress, if you are time crunched, hopping on the turbo for 45 minutes can sometimes be a lot easier to achieve than getting ready to go out on the bike. Time in the saddle is key, if you can get out and ride do so, if you can't then get on the turbo and do what you can, steady pedalling, a few faster efforts, vary it up. If you did 2 x 45 sessions on the turbo and then rode at the weekend, extending your time/distance each time you'd come on really quickly. Mix up your routes too, don't avoid the hills, they may be tough but imo they will really bring your cycling ability / fitness on.

Are you planning on recording your rides with a Garmin or phone app? In my opinion logging your rides helps you see progression and will serve as a great motivator. Strava while not for everyone will allow you to see your improvement quite easily. A lot of people will say ignore Strava and the like for now and just ride, that's fine too, but I found it a great motivator.

All the best with your challenge.
  • @ Mark sorry that is 13 hours not 8. Winter does not bother me, I am well used to the outdoors.

@Supermurh, A couple of people have mentioned here and the lbs etc, turbo trainers, garmins, winter clothing different tyres, wheels etc. I have allowed 3k of my own money to fund this but it is early yet I still have a year to go and I do not want to buying loads of stuff now and then looking for further funds down the road. So I need to be careful. I know the bike I did buy was the 2013 Mekk pinerola al1, was cheap reduced to 390 on wiggle it had good reviews and well it was cheap enough to learn and correct any issues with a new bike later if need be. Any money spent will have to come from my pocket and not from monies promised as that would be just wrong. Do not take me wrong I do see the advantages in the turbo trainer and all advise is really appreciated as I am completely new to this.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    OK - sure I will get shot down for this and I know it is easy for someone like myself to say:

Riding 200km at a moderate pace is relatively straight forwards for anyone with decent mental fortitude, who is comfy on their bike and knows how to eat and drink to suit their needs.

None of that is meant to belittle anyone who rides the distance - 200km is still a long way to ride a bike, but if speed isn't a major concern (and with a 13 hour time limit, I guess we're talking an Audax here (and it's 13.5 hours or longer if we get into the minutia of the regulations....)), then don't overthink things too much at the moment. Just ride.

Now, it does take time to tick all those boxes (other than mental fortitude, which you either have or don't; but £25K is a pretty good substitute for mental fortitude). Comfort takes time for your body to adapt and for you to get your setup on the bike sorted - ride lots, build up distances slowly, address comfort issues before they become show stoppers. Eating and drinking - no specific advice as everyone is unique, but again, if speed isn't a major concern, keep food real and avoid using gels etc.

It is much harder to go faster than it is to go farther - so don't worry about speed too much. The only time to worry about speed is the time off the bike - it is easy to fritter away time with faffing about at stops etc. Have a clear plan as to what you need to achieve each time you stop (fill bottles, go to the loo, eat, change clothing etc.) and minimise the faffing. Every 10 minutes has cost you a few kilometres that you should be along the road.

Don't get bogged down in training plans yet - just enjoy riding your bike. It takes time, but if you don't overly worry about speed, you'll be surprised how far you can go.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I think all the advice above is pointing you in more or less the right direction. i.e. Just get out and ride regularly for now. The only thing I could imagine stopping you completing this in 13hrs is if you had some major comfort issue that forced you off the bike during the event. And that won't happen if you've done plenty mileage prior to the event and sorted out your saddle, riding position, food etc.
    If you're happy to ride in bad weather, perhaps forget about a turbo trainer. While they give you the option to train indoors in horrible weather, many people find them incredibly boring and unsatisfying to use. If you're not allergic to a little rain, and funds are limited, I'd say the money is better spent on decent cycling clothing.
    The exception is snow and ice. I have a turbo trainer myself but rarely use it. Personally I'd normally rather go out in the rain but I don't cycle when I think there's a major risk of ice on the roads. It's not worth the risk. However, in the last 4 years I've only missed a handful of rides as a result. The weather where you are may differ!
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    oxoman wrote:
    Bernard, the biggest improvement i have found recently is to go from riding solo to riding with a mate or 2, i'm sure if you looked around or posted your rough location somebody might be willing to buddy up and ride with you. Time and distance seems to go a lot quicker when riding in company. As all the others have said take it steady and enjoy it.

Good advice, riding in company is anywhere from 30-70% easier depending on numbers and is a great way to get used to racking up the miles.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Oxoman, I am trying to bully a friend into doing this with me. I also thought of joining a club but talking to the fella in the lbs he advised against it until I was that bit fitter, he thought it could more harm to my confidence. Good thing though he offered to maintain the bike for me FOC.
    If this keeps going and I fail I will have to emigrate.