Eurosport TV guide

2»

Comments

• It's a shame Bein have it and there's no (apparent) rights in UK. Sky iirc show highlights eventually though don't they?

Afaik, not been on Eurosport since 2012.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    We've talked about this a lot in the past but there is a bigger picture at work

http://www3.ebu.ch/contents/news/2013/0 ... tners.html

For the biggest races, there is a requirement for them to be on free to air channels. Awkward for Sky, not impossible and of course things could change. But ultimately the sport is moving adverts, so if you're going to invest in it as a sponsor you want to see your brand in front of as many people as possible.
    And that's where Velon come in. It's no co-incidence that managing director is an ex-Sky TV man.

It's the same reason why Wiggo is still earning massive money at Sky even though he races very little. He has the ability to get coverage on all channels, he gets in the papers, he goes on chat shows, he gets on the news...

Don't know if anyone noticed, but the Vuelta extended their deal with the EBU until 2020 today.

Looks like getting the broadest coverage is still the primary aim. (and as Vuelta is effectively owned by ASO it will be their position to)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    sherer wrote:
    Any news on the Tour of Qatar. It's my favourite race of the early season (I prefer it to Hey Volk really) and don't see it on any of the schedules?

Tour of Oman is usually a better race

Than Qatar?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I preferred Oman last year, it had some climbs and uphill finishes rather than just wind and sprint finishes
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited January 2015
    As I mentioned last year, the Tour of Qatar is a near perfect barometer as to how Tom Boonen's classics season will pan out. That's why it's important to Rick

No stage win = classics disaster
    Stage win(s) = lower classic win
    Podium + stage win(s) = monument podium(s) and/or lower classic win
    GC win + stage win(s) = monument win(s)

Every year from 2006-2014 follows those rules.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    sherer wrote:
    I preferred Oman last year, it had some climbs and uphill finishes rather than just wind and sprint finishes

When the wind gets up in Tour of Qatar it's probably one of the most interesting races outside of April and July.

And not just because of Boonen.
  • The other thing which makes Qatar more interesting than Oman is the live tv coverage (when it can be tracked down) whereas Oman is broadcast only as a 25 minutes highlight package the day after the stage has taken place.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    edited January 2015
    Dubai now on the schedule. Elsewhere, though it's not live, at least it's being shown a few days after it's on, there's the Cadel Evans one. Should be cracking scenery.
  • sherer wrote:

When the wind gets up in Tour of Qatar it's probably one of the most interesting races outside of April and July.

This is exactly why I like it.

And I watch it for Boonen
  • rick_chasey
    sherer wrote:

This is exactly why I like it.

And I watch it for Boonen

*high five*
  • Nothing to do with Eurosport, but here's Rai Sport 2's opening contribution
    to cycling on tv.
    A full hour of the Italian season's opener, the G.P. Costa degli Etruschi :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... K9I8riW0wM
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Rob Hatch tweeted that it was the Ruta del Sol next for him on ES
  • Rob Hatch tweeted that it was the Ruta del Sol next for him on ES

Looking at the tweet he says Eurosport's next race is RdS but HIS next race is Strade Bianchi followed by P-N.

I hope Declan Quigley's found a new hobby. Sadly if Rob's doing P-N it means it's probably Declan for Tirreno as Kirby will be doing it for RCS. Unless Matt Stephens has been upgraded in the pecking order.