Cycling twice a week, how useful?

class5700
class5700 Posts: 65
I've been idly reading about different training plans, out of curiosity more than anything, but they are beginning to make me wonder what the utility is of doing 2-3 'unfocused' rides a week would be. I read about 'junk' miles and so on.

I try to exercise at least three times a week, running when cycling is not possible. I would go out for 1.5-2 hours when I do go riding, and would do a lot more when the weather is nicer. 8)

when I ride, I generally just go at it, continuous hard effort for the 35-50km rides that I do, and paying no attention to HR zones, breathing rates, or anything like that.

I am sure that I am not alone in this!

aside from the obvious fact that this type of riding would be much less efficient in training terms, of what benefit is it to my overall fitness?

is it just a case of getting fitter but at a slower rate? is it really a waste of time, as some of the harsher training planners would suggest? or am I just overthinking things.......again! :D

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Yes you are overthinking it. Go out, ride and enjoy the ride. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If all you're looking to do is exercise, then I think it's fine: whatever works for you and whatever you enjoy. If you have a more focused goal, then it's probably not structured enough - but don't invent one for the sake of it - if you're enjoying riding and getting fitter in the process (which you will be up to a point) then all is good.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    As said above, if you have a specific goal, like doing a 100 miler, race a 4th cat, keep up with the skinny knobbly knee whippets up the mile long 10% grad hill then you need to worry about how much your getting out.

If your just trying to keep fit and enjoy the riding, then just get out when you can and make sure you do just that.

It totally depends on what your goal is I suppose
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    In the winter it is more about just putting the time in to keep a base fitness. Once things warm up you will find it easier to go further and faster in the better weather.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    As others have said If you are happy then why change. However, a little tweaking could make a big difference. Bunging in a few sprints/intervals will make a difference particularly as part of a shorter ride where time is limited. A couple of 1 or 2 minute hard pushes mixed in every 10 mins is a good place to start. Or even just tabata-ing up a hill (20 secs sprint 10 secs recovery) for 4 or 5 mins. Its just nice to mix it up a bit.
  • thanks for all the replies. answers are much as I expected. I just needed some reassurance that what I'm doing isn't completely pointless ha ha ha.

I'm quite interested in the progress I'm making and to this end I'm thinking about getting a heart rate monitor for more 'data'. I like data. :) anyway, I won't be able to do regular three-hour rides in zone 2 (low effort), as recommended in the beginning, so I'm not sure how valuable irregular (like once a week) three-hour low-effort rides would be (mixed in with leave-the-HRM-at-home-and-just-have-fun cycling). however, decent HRMs don't seem to be too expensive so I think I'll get one and see what results I come up with over the year.

edit: thanks for the tip about intervals as well. a handy tool to put into the mix.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I think perhaps you (and others) are exaggerating the difference in results between going out and riding hard and doing something more structured - certainly when you are doing relatively few hours a week.

I don't see any point in deliberately limiting the intensity of your rides unless you need to recover for another session. You might get a bit of benefit from doing some kind of intervals but it's going to be relatively marginal - of course if you find you enjoy a more structured approach more then why not and but don't expect a huge difference.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I think perhaps you (and others) are exaggerating the difference in results between going out and riding hard and doing something more structured - certainly when you are doing relatively few hours a week.

I don't see any point in deliberately limiting the intensity of your rides unless you need to recover for another session. You might get a bit of benefit from doing some kind of intervals but it's going to be relatively marginal - of course if you find you enjoy a more structured approach more then why not and but don't expect a huge difference.

your not limiting the intensity of your ride, just going easier at times so you can go harder at others, for instance if you are always pressing on when you get to a climb you won't be able to put out the same power compared to if you take it easier then hit the climbs more which you would need to be capable of if you were to ever ride with others
  • Unless you're training for racing and the likes then just keep doing what you are doing, as long as you're putting the effort in.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    your not limiting the intensity of your ride, just going easier at times so you can go harder at others, for instance if you are always pressing on when you get to a climb you won't be able to put out the same power compared to if you take it easier then hit the climbs more which you would need to be capable of if you were to ever ride with others

I was talking about where he mentions using a HRM to do 3 hour rides at a lower intensity - I don't see any value in someone putting in such limited hours deliberately keeping their heart rate below a certain level on a ride like that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Cycling twice a week - better than cycling once a week - not as good as cycling three times a week. Unless you have any actual performance goals, don't over-think it and just ride how/when you want.

In terms of 'fitness benefit' - studies have shown that exercise is often better than no exercise.
  • If your goal is purely fitness for health then check out this link...
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Page ... dults.aspx

If you've not got time for that then the summary is 150 minutes of moderate exercise like riding a bike on the flat without hills. Or 75 minutes of vigorous such as cycling fast or up hills. This is per week.

As well as these options you need to include muscle strengthening exercises twice a week that works all main muscle groups.

It sounds like you're doing vigorous exercise for more than 75 minutes a week so you're good.
  • Of course if you're just out for fun then don't stress over it. If you can fit a ride in do it and do the ride you feel like at the time. You're doing good for your health and you enjoy it. To hell with structure.

BTW I started commuting into work a few days a week for just over 7 miles each way. I rode with my family slowly once at the weekend. My commute times dropped each day for a month then I've never gone any faster but I've been slower the last 5 months. I realised I'm not wanting to achieve any goal so why am I stressing over a 35 minute ride when I can do it in 26 minutes. I'm not fast as I'm carrying a pannier that's not light on a mtb style hybrid. I used to do 8 miles quicker on my road bike which did it at 21mph or faster.

So I know ride how I feel like. Slow if I'm not feeling it, fast if I feel great and want to go fast. I'm enjoying it and combined with other activities such as vigorous walks, walks in the Lakes with my 2 year old carried on my back I'm meeting the exercise recommendations for health. I've also kind of lost an inch or two from my waist which is good, I'm between 32 and 34 inch now. Everyone says I'm looking healthier too.

You see I'm enjoying my riding, it's about that and nothing related to goals. That makes it sustainable so I keep it up. I'm also saving on train fare or diesel for the car. Bonus.
  • thanks again for the replies. some food for thought.

just to be clear though, I'm not worried about overall fitness, health-wise. I do some form of exercise every other day, for a total of 200+ minutes of vigorous exercise, plus hours and hours of what would count as 'moderate', per week.

I was more concerned with cycling-specific fitness, in terms of getting faster, more powerful, better endurance, etc., that can be quantified. I don't want to reach a point and then plateau, I want to see a continuous improvement, but perhaps I will just need to accept a slow progression.

it's the time that's the issue. I simply can't go cycling five times a week as it takes up too much time (young family + work) and commuting on the bike is not an option. I will do a lot more in the non-winter months though. hopefully at least three sportives this year.

yes, definitely overthinking things, but out of interest rather than worry! it's just cycling. 8)
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    class5700 wrote:
    aside from the obvious fact that this type of riding would be much less efficient in training terms, of what benefit is it to my overall fitness?
    or
    class5700 wrote:
    thanks again for the replies. some food for thought.

just to be clear though, I'm not worried about overall fitness, health-wise. I do some form of exercise every other day, for a total of 200+ minutes of vigorous exercise, plus hours and hours of what would count as 'moderate', per week.

Make up your mind :lol:
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    saprkzz wrote:
    As said above, if you have a specific goal, like doing a 100 miler, race a 4th cat, keep up with the skinny knobbly knee whippets up the mile long 10% grad hill then you need to worry about how much your getting out.

If your just trying to keep fit and enjoy the riding, then just get out when you can and make sure you do just that.

Definitely agree with above.

Training all depends on what you are training for. If you just enjoy riding a bike then just do whatever gives the most fun as often as you want to.

If you ever decide to take things a bit more seriously then it's nice to set a goal of some sort and that will have an effect on the nature of your training.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:
    class5700 wrote:
    or
    class5700 wrote:
    thanks again for the replies. some food for thought.

Make up your mind :lol:

sorry! first time I meant overall 'bike' fitness, if that makes sense, and the second general health fitness. :)
  • bahzob wrote:
    saprkzz wrote:

Definitely agree with above.

Training all depends on what you are training for. If you just enjoy riding a bike then just do whatever gives the most fun as often as you want to.

If you ever decide to take things a bit more seriously then it's nice to set a goal of some sort and that will have an effect on the nature of your training.

I'm not thinking about competing, but one goal that piques my interest is a long sportive (100mile+). I've only done one long ride, what I would call long anyway, of 73 miles (five hours). I'm sure I could jump on my bike and bang out a century without too many problems, but with my current fitness level I would have to pace myself so much that I think it would be a realistic near seven-hour ride on typical hilly southern England terrain.

that's a long time to be spending in the saddle, and I don't want to end up cursing and wishing I had never entered, so I plan to build up my resilience with a few more 50-70 mile sportive rides first, and to do what I can to improve my 'bike' fitness in the meantime.

that's what I was wondering, whether and how quickly I'm likely to see improvements. If I can improve enough, maybe I'll be looking like a sub 6.5 hour 100 miler, or maybe even 6 if I can get really strong!

but 2-3 times a week, not sure how quickly that level of fitness is going to come...
  • If you can do two fast rides twice a week and a long ride at the weekend at a steady pace you should see improvements relatively quickly.
  • If you can do two fast rides twice a week and a long ride at the weekend at a steady pace you should see improvements relatively quickly.

thanks very much. that's the kind of program that I should be able to manage on a pretty regular basis for most of the year (not a fan of riding in rain/wind/dark etc, cold I can manage).
  • class5700 wrote:
    If you can do two fast rides twice a week and a long ride at the weekend at a steady pace you should see improvements relatively quickly.

thanks very much. that's the kind of program that I should be able to manage on a pretty regular basis for most of the year (not a fan of riding in rain/wind/dark etc, cold I can manage).

haha, same here. Like Sunday, cold crisp dry morning, lovely. Warmer, but wet, no chance ;)
  • yep, had a nice ride yesterday. never thought I'd cycle much in winter, but the only barrier to my cycling in cold turned out to be putting my hand in my pocket and buying the right gear!

same does not apply in wet though, unless I can buy an anti-rain/spray portable force field to put on the bike. :D
  • diy
    I'll take rain over wind any day. Couple of things to think about: Have an objective and know where you are starting from. Its impossible to know what to do, if you don't know where you are and its impossible to know if you are doing it right, if you don't know what you are meant to be doing. It may sound simplistic but you can go in to as much detail as you like.
  • diy wrote:
    I'll take rain over wind any day. Couple of things to think about: Have an objective and know where you are starting from. Its impossible to know what to do, if you don't know where you are and its impossible to know if you are doing it right, if you don't know what you are meant to be doing. It may sound simplistic but you can go in to as much detail as you like.

thanks. hopefully a HRM will help me establish some 'facts' about my fitness, along with other data, and I'm going to have a hunt round the local library for some books on training. not that I'll be able to follow most of their training plans, but it's obvious that I don't know much about this so the more info the better.
  • diy
    we all have different views, but for me knowing Vo2 Max and MHR/RHR, as well as the basics is important.
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm

A basic HR monitor will enable you to do some very rough calculations and tests.
  • diy wrote:
    we all have different views, but for me knowing Vo2 Max and MHR/RHR, as well as the basics is important.
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm

A basic HR monitor will enable you to do some very rough calculations and tests.

nice website that. cheers!