Rice cooker

matt-h
matt-h Posts: 847
edited February 2015 in Training, fitness and health
Looking to take more proper food on my long rides and am thinking of getting a rice cooker.
Not much info about small ones, I was hoping for a recommendation on here

Matt

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    How are you going to carry it..? Panniers or backpack?
  • Most slow cookers do rice but I found that just cooking in a pan worked better for rice cakes as you can see whats happening easier.

I make a big batch up then freeze them in wrapped into portions.

Rice cakes are great food on the bike.
  • Where the hell are you going to plug it in? Weight will be a big issue imo i'd just go for flapjacks tbh.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    It really isn't clear whether you intend to take it on rides with you, but assuming it will live and stay in your kitchen:

This is a good microwave one I used to use:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/18167/Klip-It-Rice-Steamer

Then I bought this when the microwave one was too small:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9367809.htm

I use it 2 or 3 times a week. Still going strong.
  • The normal pan method is fine for basmati and standard rice, but I find electric ones are great for making perfect sushi rice. Bought mine from the local Chinese supermarket and it's still going strong after 3 years use. I think it was £15.
  • You don't need anything other than a pot, I recently saw this on the GCN network. "HOW TO MAKE RICE CAKES - COOKING WITH TEAM SAXO TINKOFFS HANNA GRANT" Just google that and you'll get a 7min. vidieo that takes you thru it. Personally I found I found the GCN vidieo on how to make you own power bars more interesting, man did they look yuuumy, I can't wait for some warmer weather to try them out! Hanna Grant also has a book out on all the stuff she cooks for the team, might want to look at that.
    Good luck, and in the immortal word's of Julia Child, bon apetit.
  • How embarassing, apparently I don't know how to spell video. 30+years of living in Germany have obviously f#cked me up more than I'd realized :(
  • The Chinese eat a lot of rice and they use a lot of electric rice cookers.

The rice cakes in Allen Lim's The Feedzone Cookbook and Feedzone Portables book are really great. Sushi rice, bacon, egg, soy sauce and a bit of brown sugar is my personal fave.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I can make perfect rice in pan but its a pain in the ass compared to a rice cooker. And if you say its easier you arent doing it properly to get fluffy rice. Best money I have spent in the kitchen
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I learned this method years ago.

place rice in pan add water to give an inch above the rice. Bring to the boil.
    switch off. wait approx 15 minutes - perfect fluffy rice no pan scraping needed.

I guess you could transfer to a thermos cup after bringing to the boil and let it continue to slow cook in the cup.