TACX I-Genius what a piece of Gear

steelem
steelem Posts: 199
took the plunge before xmas - and managed to get myself a TACX I-genius turbo trainer.. the equiptment took a little while to set up and i was concerned with some of the other reviews but i got onto it a few days ago - bought a google licence and rode a 33miles ALPS section - have to say what an earth have i been missing out on - this gear is absolutley amazing giving all the power outputs you need - incline absolute spot on too real life - real time video im simply amazed - too top this off i did a multiplayer race today on a Virtual reality course and Just WOW WOW WOW you see all your other racers where they are in the race - its just amazing .. anyone thinking of buying the kit - its a must im just so glad i went with this rather a cyclops etc where i know i would have been bored too easy.. Tacx I-Genius is deffo a 10/10

Comments

• Hi steelem
    sounds a great piece of kit but can i ask u a couple of questions....
    1 do i need an internet connection for this to work or is it just needed for the virtual racing and when using the google maps bit,it would be ok just using the discs would it?I'd be working out in the man cave where there is no wifi or connection in range but i think if i had to i reckon i could get a wire rigged up.

2 how difficult is it to set up?

i wouldn't be that hot on things like this but always wanted one just didnt know what really was required.

Cheers buddy
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • steelem
    Hi Gubber

I would get a wire rigged up, your gonna need the internet for initial registration with the software. and if you wanna really have the fun then multiplayer is deffo where its at but i can have fun too with the google streetview too and you need internet.

2. tacx have done all the instructions by video so it was just hitting pause etc but i could get it all done out the box and installed on computer now with in 20-30mins ,, not hard at all. I had issues with the Key but i sent tacx support a mail - they replied back within 20 mins so i was really happy with the support..
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Surely a power meter and a decent turbo would be a better option?
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Surely a power meter and a decent turbo would be a better option?

Like a wahoo kickr?
  • steelem wrote:
    Hi Gubber

I would get a wire rigged up, your gonna need the internet for initial registration with the software. and if you wanna really have the fun then multiplayer is deffo where its at but i can have fun too with the google streetview too and you need internet.

2. tacx have done all the instructions by video so it was just hitting pause etc but i could get it all done out the box and installed on computer now with in 20-30mins ,, not hard at all. I had issues with the Key but i sent tacx support a mail - they replied back within 20 mins so i was really happy with the support..
    Cheers buddy :wink:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I'm looking to press the button on something like this.

I nearly bought a Wahoo a while ago but injury stopped that. I'm now looking at a Wahoo, the I Genuis and the Cycle Ops Power Beam.

The way I see it is:

I Genius
    Pros - The best price at just over £600, gets good reviews and everything comes in the box incl good software.
    Cons - Doesn't work with Trainer Road or other external apps. Does not work with iPad/iPhone.

Cycle Ops Power beam
    Pros - Priced around £750, gets good reviews, works with external apps and is Bluetooth enabled for iPad or PC connection
    Cons - Doesn't include any training software

Wahoo Kickr
    Pros - The best of them all, best feel, best connections and best app range
    Cons - Approx £950

I'm still drawn towards the Wahoo but it irks me that it is the cost of a winter bike. The Tacx is my second choice and is a close second because it does the job for a good price.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Are you sure that I-genius doesn't have an adaptor that works with an iPad, BS?

It suggests on this page http://www.tacx.com/en/products/trainers/i-genius that there is a tablet app and on this page http://www.tacx.com/en/products/softwar ... -app#tab_2

I have the old Fortius which is good. Its power settings are also pretty comparable with my Stages (within 1% on the average and steady state) when calibrated: close enough to be effective for most of us.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • steelem
    Bar shaker - you say the cons are it doesnt link up to trainer road but who needs trainer road - what you have is RLV real life video - if you dont want that you have gps rides - set up any ride you like and play it multiplayer or even by your self and you can view a multiscreen with google earth - power - hr readings honestly this kit is amazing - check out Tacxtours website - events are going on everyday ive now done - newyork marathon against 20 other ppl berlin marathon - rome - and a las vegas event - its purely incredible and its getting me back into cycling big time.. oh and i forgot the virtual rides in single player or multiplayer, just buy simple. not sure you can hook this upto an ipad isnt it another tacx trainer that does that ? my equiptment is hooked up to a 32" TV & pc that has an I3 processor and works perfect although i have updated my graphics card as i found the integrated graphics on my motherboard were not so good. I have attached a screenshot of a ride i did by myself and will update with a ride in mutiplayer as the setup screen is different as it shows all the riders in a google earth view and also shows all the timings if there in front or behind etc at the top of the screen - all these views can be adjusted easy too with the controller that attaches too your bike - http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y31 ... 810519.jpg
  • So...its an expensive turbo trainer?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • steelem
    i was very very lucky i paid 425 - new and delivered ..