How far have you ridden this year?

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Bozman wrote:
    5055 miles/247.000' of ascent, none of which were commuting, just 276 hrs spent generally meandering around the Derbyshire countryside.
    Hi Bozman, that is some going - as you have averaged over 18mph for the year I would say that is a bit more than meandering around the countryside :wink:
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Hi Ouija, 10,000 miles a year on any bike is impressive, especially if all on a hybrid and mountain bike. However why does it have to be exactly 10,000 miles per year - you don't really cycle round in circles around your front door to get it exact, do you? That does seem a wee bit sad.

I've done just over 3,600 miles this year, but quite pleased as my best yet as just over 3,500 last year.

Just anal i guess. I always know exactly how far i have to do on the very last ride (it's all on a spreadsheet) and will ride round the block or detour slightly if i'm going to be a mile or two short, just to make up the numbers. Last year i was a fifth of a mile short as i got to my front door so went "sod it" and road down the street and back twice before jumping off, lol.

I mean, why set yourself a goal, spend all year slogging your guts out, through wind and rain and ice and insects only to say "sod it, close enough" in the last few minutes. That's defeatism and we wont have any of that round here... oh no! Gotta be strict with yourself or you'll find reasons to start slacking off and justifying not getting on the bike some days.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Bozman wrote:
    5055 miles/247.000' of ascent, none of which were commuting, just 276 hrs spent generally meandering around the Derbyshire countryside.
    Hi Bozman, that is some going - as you have averaged over 18mph for the year I would say that is a bit more than meandering around the countryside :wink:

It comes out at 18.3 but there wasn't that much climbing involved. I try to give myself a goal every year and this year was 5K so I'm a happy man.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    3,651.9 miles and 181,214 ft climbing. was hoping to hit 4000 miles but december has been pretty much a rest month. 4000 will remain my target for next year. i added about 450 this year to last years milage. i haven't really made strides with my average speeds though. i did average 18.5mph over 100km sportive which i was pleased with and did my first 100 mile ride. i think i have come to realise i do enjoy food and despite wanting to lose weight its not like i will ever race etc so go out and enjoy the ride and just don't eat bad all year round and i won't do too bad.
    i do intend to do a few more focused hill sessions.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • I'm up to 5824mi so far this year (a couple more rides to go yet though- probably will finish around 5900) except for short trips around town which I don't bother to record.
    Although up on last years recorded milage by about 300mi, unrecorded commuting in the first half of the year brought it up to ~6900 last year which was impossible to compete with whilst doing my final year of uni.

Ouija's 10k miles on MTB/ hybrid is incredibly impressive though- that would be a massive achievement on a full on road bike let alone off road or on a hybrid!
  • I'm on 8577 miles with 448,000 feet of climbing. I'm happy with that as I didn't ride at all in March and April due to a fractured wrist.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Ouija wrote:
    Hi Ouija, 10,000 miles a year on any bike is impressive, especially if all on a hybrid and mountain bike. However why does it have to be exactly 10,000 miles per year - you don't really cycle round in circles around your front door to get it exact, do you? That does seem a wee bit sad.

I've done just over 3,600 miles this year, but quite pleased as my best yet as just over 3,500 last year.

Just anal i guess. I always know exactly how far i have to do on the very last ride (it's all on a spreadsheet) and will ride round the block or detour slightly if i'm going to be a mile or two short, just to make up the numbers. Last year i was a fifth of a mile short as i got to my front door so went "sod it" and road down the street and back twice before jumping off, lol.

I mean, why set yourself a goal, spend all year slogging your guts out, through wind and rain and ice and insects only to say "sod it, close enough" in the last few minutes. That's defeatism and we wont have any of that round here... oh no! Gotta be strict with yourself or you'll find reasons to start slacking off and justifying not getting on the bike some days.
    I agree with what you say about setting a goal and sticking to it, and 10,000 miles in a year is amazing and something I couldn't do ........ but if I was already doing 10,000 miles every year, I would make next year's goal a bit higher. It doesn't need to be 12,000 - I would set it at say 10,500 and then even if I did 10,200 I'd be pleased as it would be higher than this year, even although I didn't reach my goal.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    6205kms.
    1.5 times last year's so I'm pleased with that.
  • Just over 13,000 miles this year.
    Mostly road, few hundred on the MTB and 1,100 miles on the velodrome
  • I've just hit 10,000 miles although around 800 of those are on a turbo/rollers recovering from a broken thumb.

its the most i have ever done in a year and am well chuffed. i dont think i have a chance to get that figure again with the looks the other half has given me this year sometimes :D
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    3780miles for me 190000ft and 235hours for me, a lot more than last year....

Was aiming for 4000mile this year, but manflu, weather family etc... have prevented this. I'll get it next year though ;)
    (this doesn't include turbo miles either which I'd guess at another few hundred)
  • I set a target of 4000 miles
    and managed 4053 miles with 180500 ft of climbing so quite happy with that
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    A miniscule 3500K but I did have a stent fitted in May with the resultant loss of distance before and after the op. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • To date, the year is at ~7100 miles, according to my cyclist diary and Endomondo. Weather will determine if these last three days add to the total. No elevation figures for me, I don't use a GPS tracker, and our coastal plain area is as flat as can be.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Ouija wrote:

I agree with what you say about setting a goal and sticking to it, and 10,000 miles in a year is amazing and something I couldn't do ........ but if I was already doing 10,000 miles every year, I would make next year's goal a bit higher. It doesn't need to be 12,000 - I would set it at say 10,500 and then even if I did 10,200 I'd be pleased as it would be higher than this year, even although I didn't reach my goal.

I did 10k two years on the bounce, 10,008 and 10,050 :lol: and this years goal?

Do less.

Concentrate on quality over quantity and spend more time doing other things.
  • 4599 miles up til Christmas Day.

Was trying to get the Festive 500 this year, but a combination of ice and snow, and a healthy dose of the cold, has put paid to that. I was on target too after Christmas Eve's 50 miler....but no cycling since then.
    Still too cold and icy out there.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    6,814 miles with 316,420 ft climbed
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    2013 I did 10,800 miles of riding and had my worst season ever.
    2014 I did 8,600 miles and had my best season ever!
  • I'll be the first to post a three figure distance :D 903 miles and that includes two 100-mile rides. I should commute more than I do.
  • 9712 kms
    212,691 m of climbing
    181 rides
    Average ride length 53kms / climbing 1175m

Do I win a prize? :lol:
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Under 1,000 miles. Whats all this 10,000 and 13,000 miles about? :lol: People actually go 35 miles a day? Who are these people lol. If I was capable of that, in winter I would hook up my back wheel to a generator. If you're doing it anyway why not do it indoors in the warmth and save some electricity.

I suppose if you're super fit though thats only 2 hours on the bike, go on then I'll believe it - this once.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DavidJB wrote:
    2013 I did 10,800 miles of riding and had my worst season ever.
    2014 I did 8,600 miles and had my best season ever!

Funnily enough
    12067 last year and my slowest year so far
    8840 or so this year and my fastest year so far.............

Definitely faster when I stick to four figure mileages!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Distance: 19,018.3 km
    Time: 632h 49m
    Elev Gain: 175,474 m
    Rides: 262
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    Distance 7,175.5 km
    Time 284h 19m
    Elev Gain 101,911 m
  • My end of year figures from Strava

Year-to-Date
    Distance 15,709.5 mi
    Time 1034h 55m
    Elev Gain 919,478 ft
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Distance 3,142.4 mi
    Elev Gain 72,736 ft

More than double last years total of 1545, so I'm happy enough with that
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Whats the cheapest bike someone here does 10,000 miles or more a year on?

There should be a competition for it. Lowest groupset wins.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Manc33 wrote:

It doesn't count if they are made entirely from fake parts!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

It doesn't count if they are made entirely from fake parts!

If course it does. It's just that the fake parts probably don't last long enough!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • AdamJ
    AdamJ Posts: 63
    5,100 miles for me - 750 completed in one crazy tour in May