Turbo Trainers and resistance

Kryton57
Kryton57 Posts: 95
2 questions in one really.

I'm using Trainer road, and am wondering, what resistance on my Turbo I should be using to simulate a standard UK flat road ride?

I'm using a Minoura B60-r . I appreciate that riding with it set at level 1 say, means I am just riding faster and lower geared to get the same WATTS output as riding higher geared in level 4.

I'm asking the question because I want to perform my TR workouts whilst simulating a low gradient, say 2% to help develop my hill climbing power, and am not sure which resistance setting to use.

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Why not ride the turbo until you find what feels like a "flat road ride"

Nobody on a forum can instruct any further on HOW YOU feel.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Kryton57 wrote:

I'm using Trainer road, and am wondering, what resistance on my Turbo I should be using to simulate a standard UK flat road ride?

I'm using a Minoura B60-r . I appreciate that riding with it set at level 1 say, means I am just riding faster and lower geared to get the same WATTS output as riding higher geared in level 4.

I'm asking the question because I want to perform my TR workouts whilst simulating a low gradient, say 2% to help develop my hill climbing power, and am not sure which resistance setting to use.

If you want to simulate a road situation, you may find it simpler to ride a 2% road in the way you want to, and see what heart rate you settle at. Then use that rate on your turbo.

Does riding a 2% hill really develop hill climbing power?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Kryton57 wrote:

No offence mate, but this should be perfectly possible to work out by yourself...
  • Obviously my legs just aren't that sensitive...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    I have the same trainer and I use cadence as a measure rather than gear/resistance. I keep a steady 90C whilst using big ring and middling sprocket and level Lo for warming up. This is about 16/17 mph. Then I move through the levels keeping the cadence the same. I do 2 mins per level up to level 5 then that lasts for about 60 secs until I'm spent. Then back to Lo/1 to recover for 2 mins then I repeat. I find this workout works for me. It's a good mix of CV and a bit of strength conditioning. At the end of each 2 min interval I sprint as fast as I can go. I do as many sets as I can depending on my time and how I feel. However you may be fitter/stronger than me or less so.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would say forget trying to simulate a real road and aim at heart rate zones or power if you have a power meter. You can never really get an exact idea of a real road since you cannot accurately compensate for wind resistance, gradient or even the surface of the road on a turbo. Your position on the bike would effect your speed for a start. I know, on the turbo, I can sit up straight and pedal the same as if I were in an aero tuck. Maybe even faster as I can produce more leverage I think. I just try and concentrate on doing training zones or FTP, but that's just me.
  • Kryton57 wrote:

The biggest thing here is finding the level on your trainer that allows you to hit your Virtual Power targets in the workout without spinning out or having to ride with a super slow cadence in order to get a low enough power reading. Are you selecting the correct level inside of the app? This is really important, because if you do not have the correct level set within the app, your Virtual Power will be way off. So if you feel like Level 2 provides all of the range you need, go under the "Devices" tab within the app, and under Virtual Power select your trainer at Level 2.

In regards to simulating a 2% grade, this will be tough to do simply because you could ride a 2% grade at 100 watts or 300 watts, it all just depends on how hard you want to go. TR is all about structured training, and you'll notice the structure of the workouts bring you up to your limits while also providing you very calculated and meaningful rests, designed to make you faster. We will be releasing some new climbing training plans later this winter which would be a fantastic choice for you. Also, another great way to simulate climbing is to set your front wheel up on something to give you a slight incline that will feel just like you're going uphill.

-Trevor from TrainerRoad
  • Thanks for take my the time to post that up Trevor.

Yes I am using Trainerroad as described, with the resistance settings as per the Turbo set the same in the app. So I am as you say I am indeed hitting my watts targets within the advised cadence. As I'm generating the power anyway I guess I am building correctly.

I was really theorising as the whether doing so at a higher resistance would speed up the muscle endurance curve, but I understand now that I'd actually just be riding at a slightly lower cadence if I were moving from a resistance setting of 2 to say 3, obviously tested in an exaggerated way by the difference between spinng at 1 and struggling at 50rpm at 6! The important thing then as you say is to use the setting that gives me the range so as not to spin out before reaching the desired wattage. As my Ftp increases then leading to that point, up goes the resistance to compensate and bring me back into my gear range.

I look forward to seeing the climbing plans within TR.