Old....Peculiar

2»

Comments

• Anyone tried Joker IPA ? bloody marvelous on draught but no idea if it comes in bottles.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Anyone tried Joker IPA ? bloody marvelous on draught but no idea if it comes in bottles.

See my link on the first page. It's a Williams Bros beer - and a very good one too. Easy to get in Tesco and while you're there try some of their other beers like Birds & Bees and Ceasar Augustus.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Hobgoblin is utterly rancid and should be treated as industrial effluent.

Decent beer that is 'widely available' IMHO includes:
    - Fuller's London Pride and ESB (although the latter is pretty strong stuff)
    - Old Speckled Hen is pleasant
    - Marston's Pedigree

OP is OK but a bit of an acquired taste.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,412
    nicklouse wrote:
    one thing I miss about Sweden, they have a better selection of Beer than they have in Germany.

Like Bayersk mörkt öl.

One beer that is peculiar to Aachen, it is a very dark beer. Forget the name of it. Pity 'cos it was superb.
    Used to drink the 4x(?) winter ale in Sussex.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Sharps Doombar or their latest Atlantic Pale Ale (very nice indeed)
    Andwell - King John or Ruddy Darter
    Butcombe - Brunel IPA
    Thornbridge - Jaipur IPA (awesome)
    St Austell - Tribute
    Orkney - Dark Island is my favourite.

Hobgoblin and Boondoggle should be used for this.

sheepdip.jpg

Hey round our way that's the talent getting ready for a night out! :wink:

Round your way that would be classed as posh totty :wink:

Back to the OP, have been enjoying Lancaster Bomber down the local recently.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Newcastle Brown Ale,i used to drink it a lot when i younger first going out to the pub at 16,then found Younger's draft ales in a couple of pubs which i liked,didn't have a Newcastle brown for quite a long time,but i have been buying a few every now and again for home,and have got the taste for it again,not going to get smashed on it as i do remember bad hangovers from it
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,482
    Slumbering monk,Joules Brewery
    Shropshire Lad, Woods Brewery
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Well, I'm a fan of the 'goblin! Lovely stuff.
    But having Jennings on my doorstep, Cocker hoop & Snecklifter are well worth a taste, but my favourite for thirst quenching goodness is Loweswater Gold. Fabulous....
  • OP? Theakstons was good before they sold out. Went downhill IMHO. Of course its other name is Old Rotgut. I've had many a drunken student trip to the Lakes and the Dales drinking OP until I lost track of what I'd done last night then spend the next day sh1tting around the Lakes. Seriously it had the same effect on most of our group. Funny thing about the Theakston family's work, the black sheep ales really don't agree with neither. One drink and I'm sick as a dog. I've never had that happen with beer since I tried a can of Stones bitter.

Lancaster Bomber is a nice session beer. Thwaites is a reasonable biggish brewer, nothing special but decent for night out.

One thing I've noticed over the years there's a lot more decent brewers from down south. I used to think that most of the good beers came from northern England. Apart from certain decent ones like Shepherds Neame and a selection of others. Well that's my recollection. There's even some good Scottish beers now. Once it was ask Bellhaven rubbish and all that shilling beers. A beer drinkers desert I always though but now it's different.