Old....Peculiar

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited December 2014 in The cake stop
Living in Hong Kong has many benefits but until recently the beer hasn't been one of them. However, as the Chinese population acquire more sophisticated tastes and a desire to spend their money on exotic items the selection has increased significantly.

I recently discovered that our local version of Poundland sells Duvell and Chimay for about a quid a bottle and imaging my joy to discover that Wellcome supermarket is now flogging a wide selection of British bottled ales. These include Hobgoblin, Black Sheep, and, praise Jesus, Theakston's Old Peculiar. I have a feeling it's going to be a very Merry Christmas.....

What's your favourite bottled ale and I'll have a look out for it?
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    St Austell's Tribute. Perfect for a session
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    You've already mentioned mine, Hobgoblin. They've also started to do it as draught in a few pubs now.

The older I get, the better I was.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    One suspects that your Cheng posts in july may be yet more frequent as a result of this! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Old Peculier is the king, but I would also recommend Fullers' Bengal Lancer. A nice IPA.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Adnams Ghost Ship or Fullers Wild River for me at the moment.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,385
    Although a great fan of real ale, I don't find it translates very well to bottles (or cans). The one that I have had that was very good from a bottle was Badger Bitter - I have yet to try Theakstons OP . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Anonymous
    I worked in a pub which has been serving hobgoblin for ages. It's revolting.

(The Snakecatcher in Brockenhurst)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    coriordan wrote:

You may well have served me... not a Hobgoblin though!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I've been working through these:

http://www.williamsbrosbrew.com/beerboard
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    coriordan wrote:

"What's the matter Lagerboy, afraid you might taste something?"
  • Beltaine
    Beltaine Posts: 166
    Try Ringwood Brewery's 'Boondoggle' , 'Old Thumper' or any of their stuff. Wye Valley Brewery do some good stuff too.
    I also like 'Old Hooky' by the Hook Norton Brewery.
    ....I don't know why; It's a perfectly cromulent word....
  • Anonymous
    Oh no. I am an ale fan (mostly the weaker, lighter ones). I'm learning....Hobgoblin though? Revolting.

Ringwood is my local brewery and I am fan of their Best.

Also like Sambrook's Wandle and actually a favourite is Sharps Surprise Ale (same guys who do doom bar) which I think is only available in the Surprise Pub, just off the Kings Road.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Anything from my local brewery.....

http://www.hogsback.co.uk/
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    one thing I miss about Sweden, they have a better selection of Beer than they have in Germany.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'm going to lay my reputation on the line here and state my allegiance to the fizzy stuff. I'm not a fan of ales and deffinatly not one of super strength beers.

I like a drink but don't like being drunk, if that makes sense.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Anonymous
    huh? Aren't you about to go skiing? What else does one do? (apart from slay deep pow)
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Budweiser.

EDIT!! EDIT!!! I really meant 'Old Backdoor Basher' from Felchers Brewery....
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Sharps Doombar or their latest Atlantic Pale Ale (very nice indeed)
    Andwell - King John or Ruddy Darter
    Butcombe - Brunel IPA
    Thornbridge - Jaipur IPA (awesome)
    St Austell - Tribute
    Orkney - Dark Island is my favourite.

Hobgoblin and Boondoggle should be used for this.

sheepdip.jpg
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    This is tricky, i don't find many beers I don't like except 'blonde' beers, look out for Black sheep ale and Theakstons bitter, personally find OP is a bit harsh to drink a lot of
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Butcombe - Brunel IPA
    St Austell - Tribute

sheepdip.jpg

Hey round our way that's the talent getting ready for a night out! :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • mr_goo
    coriordan wrote:
    Oh no. I am an ale fan (mostly the weaker, lighter ones). I'm learning....Hobgoblin though? Revolting.

Also like Sambrook's Wandle and actually a favourite is Sharps Surprise Ale (same guys who do doom bar) which I think is only available in the Surprise Pub, just off the Kings Road.

Their Best used to be good till Marstons took over.
    Have you tried Flack Manor Double Drop, can get in Rising Sun, The Conqueror and Queens Head. Really good pint just like Best used to be.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo
    coriordan wrote:

Their Best used to be good till Marstons took over.
    Have you tried Flack Manor Double Drop, can get in Rising Sun, The Conqueror and Queens Head. Really good pint just like Best used to be.
  • bianchimoon
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Butcombe - Brunel IPA
    St Austell - Tribute

sheepdip.jpg

Hey round our way that's the talent getting ready for a night out! :wink:
  • pottssteve
    I'm going to lay my reputation on the line here and state my allegiance to the fizzy stuff. I'm not a fan of ales and deffinatly not one of super strength beers.

I like a drink but don't like being drunk, if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. When living in the Netherlands I would drink the Belgian beers, most of which have enough alcohol to stun a rhino. I would much prefer to have one of those and feel a little fuzzy than drink 6 pints of fizzy sh!t and get bladdered.

Thank you for all the options, folks. I will be wandering over to the shops tomorrow with a list! Mind you, they also sell La Chouffe, Grimbergen and a few other Belgian beers so it would have to be good to (re)convert me to the British stuff.

Capt Slog - I used to live in Brighton so had Hobgoblin on draught a few times. Never took to it but my tastes may have changed with age so i'll maybe give it another go.

ddraver - I tend to post when I'm on holiday as I usually don't get the time. I am lucky to get July off work, hence the TdF posts and my Cheng-fetish. Good to see he's been signed for another year. I also know the father of one of the female Giant stagieres so I guess I will be cheering for Giant-Alpecin in 2015!
  • mr_goo
    coriordan wrote:

Ringwood Best used to be great. Then bought by Marstons, and the rest they say is history as all their beers are now at Pedigree standard. Cr4p.

If you are an NF local the best quaffable beer on tap is Flack Manor Double Drop. Lovely stuff. Think the ex head brewer of Ringwood is now at Flack.

272_1.png
  • Can't beat a pint of Adnams Ghost Ship or Badger Hopping Hare :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    pottssteve wrote:
    Mind you, they also sell La Chouffe, Grimbergen and a few other Belgian beers

La Chouffe, excellent choice sir. If you like the super hoppy pale beers, see if you can get Houblon Chouffe, or come to that Duvel Tripel Hop, for a taste bud test.
  • pottssteve
    orraloon wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Mind you, they also sell La Chouffe, Grimbergen and a few other Belgian beers

La Chouffe, excellent choice sir. If you like the super hoppy pale beers, see if you can get Houblon Chouffe, or come to that Duvel Tripel Hop, for a taste bud test.

Thanks for the tips. I doubt I'll be able to get anything that special over here but I will put them on the list for next time I am in Belgium.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • Marstons Owd Rodger, lovely!
  • coriordan wrote:
    huh? Aren't you about to go skiing? What else does one do? (apart from slay deep pow)

If we're talking about getting drunk then it's inevitable.

If we're talking about ales in ski resorts, they're generally the preserve of people with beards who walk uphill with skis on.
    Advocate of disc brakes.