Low Tech mileage recording 2015

Trondi
Trondi Posts: 11
If Excel spreadsheets are your way of recording your mileage the please take a look at the one I use for swims, rows (C2) and cycling.

You are very welcome to grab a copy for free and give it a go.

My targets this year are 1000km swim 1000 km rows and 1000km cycling.!

I hope you like lots of colours :D

T

Comments

• Trondi
    Oops you will need the link too!

http://metresandmiles.com/index.html

Enjoy!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Been trying to fiddle with my mileage spreadsheet to show my targets against my actual mileage and failed, this has sorted it out for me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Trondi
    redvee wrote:
    Been trying to fiddle with my mileage spreadsheet to show my targets against my actual mileage and failed, this has sorted it out for me.

8) 8) 8)

BTW I have added some extra hints for those wanting to use iPads and iPhones as they need a workaround to display Excel sheets properly.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    This is your first time ever posting and you're posting a spreadsheet to track mileage. With the same distance targets for swimming as cycling!!!
    Very suspect.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You have to focus on something, but personally mileage isn't it. Different routes, paces, times etc make a huge difference in cycling.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    You've posted this on a cycling forum but your weekly distance is only 12 miles is this because you're using a trainer and these are shopping miles.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Trondi
    cyco2 wrote:
    You've posted this on a cycling forum but your weekly distance is only 12 miles is this because you're using a trainer and these are shopping miles.

Oops

Not a mistake. I am a 61 yo national swimmer in my age group who has also been Concept2 rowing for a few years who is starting to get out of the swimming pool, and out of my garage where my erg is situated and into the fresh air for the first time on a bike :)

Nothing suspicious Ai 1, but you are right I am a complete cycling beginner. I don't want to wreck my ageing body with a new sport so I thought a low target for cycling would be sensible, as I still want to keep the swimming and rowing going. 1000k swim is tough. 1000row is medium and hopefully 1000k cycling is a conservatively sensible start to cycling with a mountain bike.

Any comments gratefully received.
  • Trondi
    cyco2 wrote:

LOL. Shopping miles - hmm not a bad idea! However will probably do a Sunday morning ride once a week.

Thought 1 or 2 miles in the first week to get used to the saddle and increase gradually from there. I really don't want any more 'old mans niggles'. I've got too many as it is :evil:
  • ai_1
    Trondi wrote:
    cyco2 wrote:

Oops

Not a mistake. I am a 61 yo national swimmer in my age group who has also been Concept2 rowing for a few years who is starting to get out of the swimming pool, and out of my garage where my erg is situated and into the fresh air for the first time on a bike :)

Nothing suspicious Ai 1, but you are right I am a complete cycling beginner. I don't want to wreck my ageing body with a new sport so I thought a low target for cycling would be sensible, as I still want to keep the swimming and rowing going. 1000k swim is tough. 1000row is medium and hopefully 1000k cycling is a conservatively sensible start to cycling with a mountain bike.

Apologies for my suspicions!
    Excel spreadsheets can contain virus' and given you're a brand new member with a slightly odd first post containing a spreadsheet, I was feeling cautious. No offence intended!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Don't worry too much about distance.. if you are a competitive athlete, you'll give it some beans when you train. Better to do 3, 1 hour rides a week than 1, 3 hour ride.
  • Trondi
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Trondi wrote:
    cyco2 wrote:

Oops

Apologies for my suspicions!
    Excel spreadsheets can contain virus' and given you're a brand new member with a slightly odd first post containing a spreadsheet, I was feeling cautious. No offence intended!

No probs Ai 1.

Your right about Excel spreadsheets with macros, they were often used to carry nasties! No macros in my spreadsheet, fortunately I've managed without!
  • Trondi
    diy wrote:
    Don't worry too much about distance.. if you are a competitive athlete, you'll give it some beans when you train. Better to do 3, 1 hour rides a week than 1, 3 hour ride.

3 rides a week! I had better get an electric mountain bike then :shock: (that's if they make them!)
  • ai_1
    Trondi wrote:
    diy wrote:

3 rides a week! I had better get an electric mountain bike then :shock: (that's if they make them!)
    I wouldn't bother setting any mileage goals for cycling just yet. The most important thing starting off, is just getting out and cycling. Keep the pace comfortable if you wish or push harder if you prefer. There's always a bit of adaptation required (especially getting used to sitting on a saddle) and possibly some and tweaking of your the set-up to get comfortable. Even if you're very slow initially you may well find you quickly improve. Wait and see how you're getting on after a few weeks before deciding what sort of mileage you want to achieve. If you want to set a goal from the start, I'd make it a target number of times to get on the bike each week.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    That's a good looking spreadsheet, thanks for linking to it :-)

I'm on the fourth year of my spreadsheet, it was originally used for recording cycling costs as my workmates had the suspicion it would be cheaper for me to drive (they may have a point).

I did set myself a target this year and had a graph of current mileage against planned. I'm not sure if it's a useful goal to have (lots of junk miles?) and may have had a part in me coming off on ice in January and breaking my hand.

I think next years targets will be about completing a number of events, though no doubt I will continue to record mileage (its hard not to!).
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My trusty spreadsheet is 11 years old now - much easier to make comparisons across years than on any web based program and I know the spreadsheet isnt going to stop one day.

Definitely worth keeping a record of your rides. I must look up my old old cycling diaries.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Training Peaks has been going since Year Dot and not likely to disappear anytime soon but of course Golden Cheetah is totally local to the PC and does so much more than a simple Excel spreadsheet ever could... it still remains fairly low tech imo which adds to its strength.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    This might not sound too clear but my spreadsheet is done by month and each time I add miles in a cell it isthen replicated into an annual worksheet, an overall summary worksheet and a components worksheet with different parts mileage added depending on the bike ridden. It's taken a lot of work on my part but I'm happy with it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Trondi
    redvee wrote:
    This might not sound too clear but my spreadsheet is done by month and each time I add miles in a cell it isthen replicated into an annual worksheet, an overall summary worksheet and a components worksheet with different parts mileage added depending on the bike ridden. It's taken a lot of work on my part but I'm happy with it.

It's good brain gym too redvee! I love playing with spreadsheets when resting from my exertions :D:D:D
  • Trondi
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Trondi wrote:
    diy wrote:

I wouldn't bother setting any mileage goals for cycling just yet. The most important thing starting off, is just getting out and cycling. Keep the pace comfortable if you wish or push harder if you prefer. There's always a bit of adaptation required (especially getting used to sitting on a saddle) and possibly some and tweaking of your the set-up to get comfortable. Even if you're very slow initially you may well find you quickly improve. Wait and see how you're getting on after a few weeks before deciding what sort of mileage you want to achieve. If you want to set a goal from the start, I'd make it a target number of times to get on the bike each week.

Not a bad idea Ai 1. No idea how it's going to pan out at this stage!
    Thanks

T
  • Trondi
    JGSI wrote:
    Training Peaks has been going since Year Dot and not likely to disappear anytime soon but of course Golden Cheetah is totally local to the PC and does so much more than a simple Excel spreadsheet ever could... it still remains fairly low tech imo which adds to its strength.

Had a quick look JGSI.

Wow some fun stuff there indeed!

T