Commuting or training

gbr236
gbr236 Posts: 393
I want to make some real gains over this winter.
FTP currently around 280, and by pushing it up hopefully my comfortable cruise will increase.
I enjoy commuting, 20miles round trip which i do most days.
However I do find it hard to 'structure' these half hour sessions.
Should I abandon the bike for the car and then training plan in the evenings?
Thanks.....

Comments

• Is it not possible to do both ??

How much time would you gain by taking the car ? If its only 10 odd mins then stick to the bike and then do a training session straight after the commute ?
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If you are doing all of your main sessions outside of commuting, just apply some discipline to the commute and stay in the lower zones. It also depends if you have a 10 mile across london or 10 miles of open road kind of commute as to how structured you can be.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    gbr236 wrote:
    I want to make some real gains over this winter.
    FTP currently around 280, and by pushing it up hopefully my comfortable cruise will increase.
    I enjoy commuting, 20miles round trip which i do most days.
    However I do find it hard to 'structure' these half hour sessions.
    Should I abandon the bike for the car and then training plan in the evenings?
    Thanks.....

Nooooooooooo! That's 100 miles a week you'd be throwing in the bin - why would you want to do that?

What's the nature of the commute? Lots of stopping and starting or do you get a free run at it and can ride more or less non-stop? If you're only doing 10 miles at a time you could ride it pretty much as hard as you can and get untold benefits. How about 100 miles at week at 250W? FANTASTIC training.

Ruth
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Try doing Extra Shot or the first half of HHNF within 15 minutes of getting out of bed... that structures the mind for you.
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    10 miles open roads. Only a couple of traffic lights.....
    Hard as or intervals????
    Daydream and level 2?
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    You also need to consider if not commuting would give you additional time for more effective training at another time of day.
    Your total time devoted to the commute is probably much more than just the 'riding time'.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • If the problem your having with turning your commute into training is that 1/2 hr is too short could you not extend your commute to give you more time?
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile