GCN cycling kit impressions

kiwi_t_hs_b_dog
kiwi_t_hs_b_dog Posts: 83
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Does anyone here happen to own any of the Global Cycling Network (GCN) kit?

Specifically, I'm interested to hear opinions on the Team Original jersey, with regards fit/sizing, quality, and value for money.

Thoughts appreciated!

Best wishes.

Comments

• TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Counts as team kit.

If you don't work for them you can't wear it.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • TheHound wrote:
    Counts as team kit.

If you don't work for them you can't wear it.

This. :)
  • Can't work out if that's a joke! There must be someone out there wearing GCN kit?
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Can't work out if that's a joke! There must be someone out there wearing GCN kit?

Yes there are, GCN Staff & FPKW's
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    edited December 2014
    There is a school of thought that nobody should wear team kit apart from the teams, maybe something to do with trying to keep a point of difference between cycling and other sports. :?

My advice is, if you like it wear it and stuff what other people think as long as you can put up with knowing that "some" other cyclists will be thinking "what a tw@t" when they see you riding in team kit. (unless your powering past them at the time!)

Personally, I don't see too much wrong in wearing a jersey but full on matching race kit is maybe a bit (or a lot) OTT. :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Percy Vera
    On a more serious note wear what you want, expect National Champs Jerseys and World Champs Jerseys
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If they sell it - you can wear it. Even better if it pees off people who think you can't. :-)
  • Percy Vera
    cougie wrote:
    If they sell it - you can wear it. Even better if it pees off people who think you can't. :-)

I don't think it 'pees' people off - more like confirms to them they type of person you are :wink::D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A judgemental idiot?...oh, wait
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Percy Vera wrote:
    cougie wrote:

I don't think it 'pees' people off - more like confirms to them they type of person you are :wink::D

A cyclist !
  • Percy Vera
    cougie wrote:
    Percy Vera wrote:
    cougie wrote:

A cyclist !

Yep! :lol:
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    As far as I know GCN stuff is essentially Santini. I don't have any experience with it though so thought I'd make a stupid comment instead.

I would wear GCN stuff though, cool bunch of guys and great videos. They do the cycling world justice.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    TheHound wrote:
    As far as I know GCN stuff is essentially Santini. I don't have any experience with it though so thought I'd make a stupid comment instead.

I would wear GCN stuff though, cool bunch of guys and great videos. They do the cycling world justice.

This! Some of the most informative and funny cycling videos on Youtube. There kit is nice, i would look for reviews on Santini products, as that is what they are.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Waht are "FPKW's"?

GCN kit, as noted above, is preferable to World Champ/National Champ/Team Sky gear by some distance, not least because the GCN guys are genuinely entertaining. Check out their pisstake of Froome's riding style! :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Check out their pisstake of Froome's riding style! :lol:
    I would if I could find it.
  • Got the team original top, excellent quality fits like most cycling kit but they are a bit expensive
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    shortcuts wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6meG7Xbsjxg

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    shortcuts wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6meG7Xbsjxg

Very good. Thanks' for that. Some very enjoyable videos in there. :D
  • Woah, didn't think what seemed like a simple question would provoke so much debate!

All thoughts welcome though. And the GCN youtube channel is WELL worth a watch.

Adcooper81 - I'm looking at the Team Original jersey, too. Do you, by chance, own any Castelli gear for a size comparison? I'm borderline medium/large on the sizing chart, but not sure if I should go one size bigger even (i.e.XL). Does the jersey have any give in the material?

As it has to come all the way from Italy, I want to make sure I order the right size!
  • timben83
    timben83 Posts: 16
    No experience with the Jersey but santini belkin bib i wear on the trainer is brilliant.

Isn't wearing GCN kit just funding something we find entertaining? With pro team kit i can imagine the percieved level/speed. Id say wear whatever you want but I don't see GCN kit being like team pro kit.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I don't wear team anything, but I certainly don't mind other people doing so. In France on holiday I see a lot of it. You'll get a middle-aged man on a mountain bike in full kit and nobody bats an eyelid.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    As others have said, GCN kit is made by Santini. Although I don't know about any of their other bits, I do have a couple of pairs of Santini bib shorts (albeit not GCN branded ones) and they are first rate. Indeed, everything that I have heard about other Santini stuff indicates the same general standard throughout the range.
    Ignore any comments about wearing full team kit. Personally, I wouldn't but if you want to, just do it. At the end of the day, you only asked for advice on their quality etc. and wasn't looking for a style guru. In any event, I agree with timben and don't really think that the GCN stuff qualifies as 'team kit'. Also it helps to fund what is a very good website and cycling resource
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    TheHound wrote:

+1 The whole GCN channel is excellent viewing. A bit like Top Gear for cycling, when TG used to be good, obviously.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Woah, didn't think what seemed like a simple question would provoke so much debate!

All thoughts welcome though. And the GCN youtube channel is WELL worth a watch.

Adcooper81 - I'm looking at the Team Original jersey, too. Do you, by chance, own any Castelli gear for a size comparison? I'm borderline medium/large on the sizing chart, but not sure if I should go one size bigger even (i.e.XL). Does the jersey have any give in the material?

As it has to come all the way from Italy, I want to make sure I order the right size!

If GCN is Santini then it's not going to fit as small as Castelli. I would say Santini is a reasonably generous fit as far as Italian cycling brands go - I mean it's not designed for your average American like most high street clothes seem to be but it's not super tight like Castelli and some other Italian cycling stuff. I have a couple of Santini tops and like them.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This, my Santini XS jersey fits like a sack compared to other Small jerseys I have still like it though.
  • djwc
    djwc Posts: 39
    Find this quite funny - I wear pro cycling teams' kit, mainly because I get it on the cheap from DHgate.com. To me it's the same as a football fan wearing a team's shirt.

Also, the 'nice' kit I've seen over here by 'fashionable' makes of bike clothing cost a freaking bomb! £80 for a cycling top? No thanks, I'll stick with my cheapo chinese 25-30 quid ones thanks. Best never go out on a group ride, sounds like there's a hell of a lot of cycling snobs out there!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Find this quite funny - I wear pro cycling teams' kit, mainly because I get it on the cheap from DHgate.com. To me it's the same as a football fan wearing a team's shirt.

Also, the 'nice' kit I've seen over here by 'fashionable' makes of bike clothing cost a freaking bomb! £80 for a cycling top? No thanks, I'll stick with my cheapo chinese 25-30 quid ones thanks. Best never go out on a group ride, sounds like there's a hell of a lot of cycling snobs out there!
    Mate, I don't get this. No football fan wears knock off kit. If you support a team why wear fake kit?
    Far better to get nice non team branded kit that is the same price as your knock off kit?