Help with a sports fuel survey? (Win a £50 Wiggle voucher)

MWhiteley
MWhiteley Posts: 3
Hi everyone,

I hope you don’t mind me posting this - I'm guessing this is the right forum for nutrition chat - I'm doing a little research for a service I'm trying to put together, so I'm looking to find out a bit more about trends in use of sports fuels.

If you have 3 minutes to spare, and fancy entering a draw for a £50 Wiggle voucher (if you're happy to leave your email, I'll only send one ), it would be great if you can complete the survey here: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1925032/sports-fuel-br

I'd really appreciate your input, it'll really help me find out the best way to put an idea together.

Thanks loads,

Matt

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Did your survey - you are definitely on the right track with the questions. One thing which is missing from the market is buying the raw ingredients in reasonable bulk and then providing "recipe" cards to mix up the fuel for each plan. i.e. different levels of protein, carbs, caffeine etc. for different fuels, as depending on my training, i'm after:

Low cal / high Isotonic
    low cal /high stimulant
    high protein (recovery)
    high carb (fuel)
    High stimulant - Power days.

At the moment I just mix what I have to different strengths.

The last thing - if you are entering the market and given that so much of this stuff has no proven value/benefit.. you are going to need some serious credentials to get people to buy your brand.

My last thought was age specific - I would guess that a 20 something needs different supplements to a 40 something or 50 something?

good luck
  • Thanks diy, for completing the survey, and your feedback. Very helpful.

The hypothesis I'm taking is that people often buy pre-made gels, bars and powders in bulk, and waste a lot if they don't like a flavour and don't experiment with new options (obviously reflected in the questions!).

From chatting with a lot of athletes too, I've found is that sometimes understanding of the basics is lacking or confused so there's an education angle there too. And I agree with your penultimate point - I'm just a well-read amateur athlete, not a nutrition professional, so involving someone who is would be important.

Of course this is all just some early thinking to see if there is actually a big enough problem I can solve

Thanks again! If anyone else wants to complete the survey it will be open until Sunday evening - thanks everyone for your responses so far, I really appreciate it.
  • Stalin
    Stalin Posts: 208
    diy wrote:
    Did your survey - you are definitely on the right track with the questions. One thing which is missing from the market is buying the raw ingredients in reasonable bulk and then providing "recipe" cards to mix up the fuel for each plan. i.e. different levels of protein, carbs, caffeine etc. for different fuels, as depending on my training, i'm after:

Low cal / high Isotonic
    low cal /high stimulant
    high protein (recovery)
    high carb (fuel)
    High stimulant - Power days.

At the moment I just mix what I have to different strengths.

The last thing - if you are entering the market and given that so much of this stuff has no proven value/benefit.. you are going to need some serious credentials to get people to buy your brand.

My last thought was age specific - I would guess that a 20 something needs different supplements to a 40 something or 50 something?

good luck

No one who eats properly need supplements.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    obviously the millions who take them and pay a fortune for them seem to feel there is some benefit. I'm not arguing either way. For me its all about the convenience of a scoop of powder in a drink. before, during and after. Also if you are on a 10 hour + event. packing a bag full of broccoli is not ideal.