Help With Christmas Present Ideas for Sons

redjeepǃ
redjeepǃ Posts: 531
edited December 2014 in The cake stop
We've always had a tradition in our house that you don't really give money as a present, but for the first time ever I have absolutely no idea what to buy anybody in my family this year for Xmas.

I have two sons, one was 18 this year and the other 21 (and I was 50, expensive year !), and although neither are spoilt, they basically want for nothing and neither will give me any idea what they want. Whenever I ask I get told that "we don't want or need anything so don't bother buying anything big". They both have newish phones, tablets etc and neither have any really expensive hobbies, apart maybe from girls, but there's not much help I can offer on that front.

I was half thinking of buying a drone between us...sorry I mean them, but the eldest is away at University and the youngest will probably be going to a different one next year so it's not really practical to have something to share.

Whilst I feel that this should be Christmas nirvana, I'm getting stressed about what to get them. Any ideas of good generic presents for lads ?

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    What about a Flying Lesson?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Hookers and blow?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    A Bluetooth speaker for his room so he can sit getting stoned with his mates and entertain the ladies with a bit of Barry White!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Designer shirt, nice shoes (which will last - shipton, Crockett, church, loake) Nice set of kitchen knives? (Global, sebatier). Depends if they live alone or uni or what your budget is or what they're like? Maybe even a dinner jacket. Charles trywitt have a very nice deep navy one at the moment.

What are their interests, fashions, friends, hobbies, futures like? Uni, city, office, freelance? God knows.

May be time to start giving them something they may not appreciate now but will in the future?
  • Nice (ish) watch?
    Designer clothing would probably hit the spot ... But ... May be worth having a shopping/bonding day together and letting them choose.
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • Proper shaving equipment from the English shaving company.
    Think, Edwin Jagger safety razors, proper shaving brushes and soaps etc etc.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Proper shaving equipment from the English shaving company.
    Think, Edwin Jagger safety razors, proper shaving brushes and soaps etc etc.

And a bit of wax for ....you know bikini stuff...
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I got my son a watch for his 18th but this is xmas?
    Flying lessons are fun but if they get addicted it is costly and you can't get life cover.

Do they like travelling ?
    You can get a week in Dubai for under £600 each which they will never forget and I can't think of anyone who wouldn't be blown away with that.
    Living MY dream.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'd go with their wishes and not get them anything big.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, some good ideas.

I don't know how to do multiple quotes, so I'll just refer to them.

Flying lessons : I bought a lesson for my youngest one last year which he enjoyed, but thankfully didn't become addicted. I'm very worried that I could get addicted to flying if I ever tried it.

Shaving gear : Funnily enough I use an Edwin Jagger razor which I think is great. I may get one for the eldest one. I can't see my younger lad appreciating it though.

Watch : Good idea. I may go for one for the 18 year old as I think he may like a good masculine watch.

Clothing : Neither are particularly into designer labels, but have a handful of favourite items. I'll probably get them a couple of things.

Bluetooth speakers : They both already have them (last Christmas). However, the playing of Barry White is forbidden after 9pm in our house.

Knives : The youngest one would think I'm weird if I bought him a set of knives, but I've been fancying a Kyocera ceramic knife for myself and may get one for the 21 year old as well. He does a fair bit of cooking, especially when he's 'entertaining'.

Shoes : Again not a bad idea for the 21 year old.

Flights : Good idea, but I'm not sure that I want the pair of then in Dubai together. I'd dread what they'd get up to. :D

Hookers & blow : No chance. That's what I've asked Santa for and I've been good all year :wink:

Thanks for all the ideas.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Don't give knives as presents.

Is a way of saying 'i'm ending the relationship'.
  • rick_chasey
    VTech wrote:
    You can get a week in Dubai for under £600 each which they will never forget and I can't think of anyone who wouldn't be blown away with that.

Can now.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm a nightmare to buy for and similarly we don't do money for presents.

Red letter day seems to be one way to go. Basically giving them a choice of some kind of 'experience' whether that's going go-karting or having a night in the West-End, or cooking lessons etc etc

https://www.redletterdays.co.uk/Home

If they're readers a well reviewed book that's a bit different to what they might buy otherwise is always nice.

Also with all the 'big' things they have already, there might be some more premium accessories that upgrade their experience (that sounds a bit twatty). Something as simple as a nice case for their phone or something like that.

But let's face it, what you actually need to buy them a sh!t load of bike kit...
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

Can now.

Odd, but something I can accept and isn't surprising.
    Living MY dream.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900

Well, would you still want the kids around the house when they're 35?

How about some sort of fantastically complicated Swiss Army Knife or other multitool?:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Swis ... 0001GS19U/
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Tickets to a gig/show/play/ comedy (whatever they're into). Get yourself one too and make it a memorable dad and lads night out.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • rick_chasey
    City Boy wrote:
    Tickets to a gig/show/play/ comedy (whatever they're into). Get yourself one too and make it a memorable dad and lads night out.

Definitely. Hook up with a few weirdos on the internet and get an invite to some illegal warehouse rave.

Unforgettable, and definitely a once in a life time experience...

:wink:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946

I've heard this too, it's an old superstition. I recall being given a pen-knife as a kid, and I had to give the 'auntie' a penny in return. Then I hadn't been 'given' the knife, but bought it for a penny :lol:

On the ideas front though....
    I don't know if there is any advantage to having Strava Prime, but it's not the sort of thing I would buy for myself.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I got some knives from my mum for Christmas a few years ago. Still haven't divorced her a la Macaulay Culkin.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    I was given a really nice fountain pen by a great mate of my Dads for my 21st birthday (29 years ago!). Its never been used every day, or even every week, But, over the past 3 decades, whenever I have to give something my signature, out comes that pen and memories of the man (long gone) who gave it to me.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • VTech
    laurentian wrote:
    I was given a really nice fountain pen by a great mate of my Dads for my 21st birthday (29 years ago!). Its never been used every day, or even every week, But, over the past 3 decades, whenever I have to give something my signature, out comes that pen and memories of the man (long gone) who gave it to me.

Priceless.
    Living MY dream.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Rare i agree with vTech but I too have a Mont Blanc pen (not even a special one) that I use just like Laurentian does and get the same feeling of simple pleasure
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    ddraver wrote:
    Rare i agree with vTech but I too have a Mont Blanc pen (not even a special one) that I use just like Laurentian does and get the same feeling of simple pleasure

agree, I have a nice MB, but use it daily and after 2yrs it still feels special
  • tlw1
    I like the experience slant - What about a family weekend away in say Paris
  • Redjeep! wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions, some good ideas.

I don't know how to do multiple quotes, so I'll just refer to them.

Flying lessons : I bought a lesson for my youngest one last year which he enjoyed, but thankfully didn't become addicted. I'm very worried that I could get addicted to flying if I ever tried it.

Shaving gear : Funnily enough I use an Edwin Jagger razor which I think is great. I may get one for the eldest one. I can't see my younger lad appreciating it though.

Watch : Good idea. I may go for one for the 18 year old as I think he may like a good masculine watch.

Clothing : Neither are particularly into designer labels, but have a handful of favourite items. I'll probably get them a couple of things.

Bluetooth speakers : They both already have them (last Christmas). However, the playing of Barry White is forbidden after 9pm in our house.

Knives : The youngest one would think I'm weird if I bought him a set of knives, but I've been fancying a Kyocera ceramic knife for myself and may get one for the 21 year old as well. He does a fair bit of cooking, especially when he's 'entertaining'.

Shoes : Again not a bad idea for the 21 year old.

Flights : Good idea, but I'm not sure that I want the pair of then in Dubai together. I'd dread what they'd get up to. :D

Hookers & blow : No chance. That's what I've asked Santa for and I've been good all year :wink:

Thanks for all the ideas.

You don't mention budget? Going back to "Masculine" watches .... I've been looking at T.W.Steel who do a fair range of masculine and oversize watches. From approx £299. Think they would hit the spot?
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • If you're getting Knives, the ceramics are nice with a one caveat. They are brittle, so if you feel you might drop them, best not to go too expensive. Seen more than one man weeping mid service over the head of them.

In steel, avoid Global like the plague. They look nice, and they have a fairly good blade, take an edge well too. For sustained use, however, they're genuinely horrible. You'll acquire a red stripe inside your index finger in minutes. There's also a hell of a lot of fakes out there. High end Wusthof or Henkels wee all over them, and sharpen much more easily. My personal preference is for Kai knives, the range with the carbon steel core clad in stainless or Damascus is the best of all worlds. The range has been redesigned recently, though, so I'm not sure how the ergonomics are now.

For proper value, though, it's very hard to look past Victorinox. I've had a 10 inch chef knife of theirs for 12 years, still used every day, and the only signs of use are that the wood on the handle is polished smooth.
  • Here's a Kai I bought in a mad moment on holiday in San Sebastian this summer;

Very, very sharp, in fact the shop owner had a big bandage on one finger where he'd cut himself the day before, which was kind of funny....
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    matthew h wrote:

Especially if the experience you're looking for is that of spending 30 quid on two coffees, a coke and an apple juice :cry:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Thanks again for the ideas, sorry I've not replied but I've been travelling (to remote parts of Sweden) with limited internet access.

I like the idea of a pen for the older one. He's already got a couple of nice watches but would probably appreciate the pen. I'll have a look around.

The experience weekend is a good idea, the eldest was actually born just outside Paris and we've got close friends in the area, but haven't been back in a few years. Maybe it's a good opportunity to go over for a long weekend.
  • tlw1
    City Boy wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

Especially if the experience you're looking for is that of spending 30 quid on two coffees, a coke and an apple juice :cry:

Don't understand- if I'm buying drinks it will be ale ;)