Money no object what bike would you buy?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What's the lightest FS frame nowadays?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    MSC Koncept if you can find one that hasn't broken (there was one for sale in Rugby recently) - 1470g with shock.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They've been discontinued for a few years as well, because they all broke.

Thing is that virtually all of the lightest bikes have gone 27.5/29", so they got heavier. I think the Koncept was the lightest certainly, but I genuinely don't know of anyone who didn't break one, including their own race team.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    If money were truly no object, then a team of the most skilled designers and artisans would (in conjuction with the latest body-scanning technology) create a perfectly tailored bespoke frame exactly suited to me. This would then built up with the finest components all expertly tuned to match my riding style.

Then they would all sit around with their heads in their hands bemoaning going to so much effort just for someone to ride like that...!
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I'm happy enough with my current bike to be honest, and prefer it to the new ones, so I'd probably just treat it to some upgrades:

RS Pikes
    Full XT
    SIXC cranks
    Carbon wheels
    Burgtec Penthouse MK4 Pedals

Otherwise I'd like a mint/unused 2012 Specialized SX Trail 1.

Have you ever ridden an SX Trail? Odd choice, I had one for six months and wouldn't want another.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I'm happy enough with my current bike to be honest, and prefer it to the new ones, so I'd probably just treat it to some upgrades:

RS Pikes
    Full XT
    SIXC cranks
    Carbon wheels
    Burgtec Penthouse MK4 Pedals

Otherwise I'd like a mint/unused 2012 Specialized SX Trail 1.

Have you ever ridden an SX Trail? Odd choice, I had one for six months and wouldn't want another.

Yeah mate, I had one before the Mega. Loved it, and would happily have another.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    edited December 2014
    Not sure but my shortlist would include the Ibis Mojo HD 3 and the Intense Carbine 275.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Given how astonished at how fast it was when I rode it yesterday, would have to be a Mondraker Foxy carbon, though I'd go custom with a 150mm Fox 36, 1x11 xtr with Next SL cranks, Arch EX's on DT or tune hubs, reverb and some Havoc carbon bars.

I'd probably also have a nice steel 29er for winter, 1x11 xt to keep running costs down, a 120-130mm pike for the same reason and probably similar wheels to the Foxy.

Lastly I'd have an all-round road/cx bike, some like a Croix der fer in black with CX1 group set and Stan's ironcross wheels with some of those lovely skinwall Schwalbe tyres I've seen floating around. Speaking of Skinwall tyres I'd get schwalbe to make some skinwall Hans Dampfs and Nobby Nics for the other bikes, just for consistent cool points! :lol:
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Canyon Strive. The one with the carbon-crossmax-36 loveliness.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Money no object presumably means these wonderous steeds aren't living in my apartment but have a nice, ice white walled, secure, palace-come-garage to live in instead? That being the case my money no object bikes would include:

My current Cove Handjob kitted out with better wheels and fork (not sure what fork as straight steerer 26er forks are getting thin on the ground) and finishing kit
    A SC Solo/5010 with lowered Pike, Enve wheels, XTR
    A Nomad with Pikes, Enve and XTR
    A DH bike and why not keep the theme and get a nice new V10 in carbon with all the trimmings?
    A light weight XC race FS (research needed to decide on one)
    A fat bike - Surly Moonlander perhaps
    A pimping carbon road bike (again outside my area of expertise)
    A BMX and a jump style hardtail for playing on the pump track I would build in the garden
    and a clunker for trips to the pub and a tourer with racks and bags for trips to the shops.

Along side them would be a Snap on tool box filled with Park and Snap On tools to facilitate any job, a floor mounted Park shop work stand, air compressor, de-greasing bath, truing stand and an area for a turbo trainer with video hook up and sound for those days you just cant go outside. I'd probably also have bike specific laundry facilities, a bike wash area and a post ride shower cubicle to avoid trekking mud across my Italian marble/antique oak floors.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Done it this year... So I got s mondraker dune xr with a few tweeks so I have my dream bike...
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Done it this year... So I got s mondraker dune xr with a few tweeks so I have my dream bike...

You lucky b****** :mrgreen:
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Nukeproof mega tr 650b. My 26" handles so well that it would be daft to get anything else. Just deck it out with some nicer components.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • njee20
    Done it this year... So I got s mondraker dune xr with a few tweeks so I have my dream bike...

Nothing worse than a dream bike thread where someone just says 'my bike'. Have you no imagination or aspiration?
  • rockmonkeysc
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Nukeproof mega tr 650b. My 26" handles so well that it would be daft to get anything else. Just deck it out with some nicer components.

A nicer quality finish and better cable routing would be nice on the Mega as well
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Got a chance to pedal an SB6c the other day. I'm sold.

...but at that price, it's something that definitely belongs in this thread. Especially as I'd want mine with a full XT set-up and Enve carbons.

Still, we can all dream!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • njee20
    XT? Aye, stuff of dreams ;-)
  • paul.skibum
    njee20 wrote:

Quite - money no object why go XT? If money is no object, the old "light, strong, cheap, pick 2" argument no longer applies.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    njee20 wrote:

Bike of my dreams, Flyweight. Not your's. :wink:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you had the perfect bike there would be an empty space where that dream of something better was. The XT groupset leaves some improvements to dream of while enjoying the (very near) perfect ride.
    It makes sense.
  • paul.skibum
    Clank wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

Bike of my dreams, Flyweight. Not your's. :wink:

Bike of your dreams is heavy then is it? XTR shifting. 1x11. Even Di stuff? Why the hell not if you have the money? I think XT is great but I'd have XTR if dropping the cash didn't make me feel physical pain in between my cheeks.

Carbon wheels fit the same category.

My Bronson is my dream bike within the confines of my current budget but a few yards short of my money no object bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, money no object and having XT is so blinkered, have the Race or Trail XTR which is better in almost every way and worse in none.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Money no object it'd be a Salsa Beargrease. The top end £6k one. I don't need a carbon racing fatbike, I just want one.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    ilovedirt wrote:

A nicer quality finish and better cable routing would be nice on the Mega as well
    Aye that's true. Starting to wish I had invisiframed mine or something when I got it, looks really tatty now.
    I don't see why they couldn't use normal cable runners like every other frame as well, those bolt in ones are a pain in the backside.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    The screws on the cable guides are made of cheese and not a hard cheese.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    yeti sb6 carbon bike, not looked i wonder if theres a frame only option which would be more affordable or santa cruz.

i’d be more than happy with a nukeproof mega with pikes, plenty of cheaper bikes out there that are just as good.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    swod1 wrote:
    yeti sb6 carbon bike, not looked i wonder if theres a frame only option which would be more affordable or santa cruz.

i’d be more than happy with a nukeproof mega with pikes, plenty of cheaper bikes out there that are just as good.

Did you miss the title of the thread?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    swod1 wrote:

You seem to have misunderstood the money no object bit. The Nukeproof Mega isn't all that great, rides well but build quality is poor and the standard shock isn't great.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Jesus christ, who gives a damn if he slightly missed the "point" of the thread. Change the record already :roll:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    lawman wrote:
    Jesus christ, who gives a damn if he slightly missed the "point" of the thread. Change the record already :roll:

Wrong time of the month?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607