FTP with Garmin 510

aiwa_yamaha
aiwa_yamaha Posts: 137
Once you have found your FTP. What training settings such as power, ftp power etc do you use to train with your Garmin. When you have power, the power varies so much you can't really keep to a steady 150w. I thought average power is good.

What do other people use on their garmin.

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    3 second rolling average for me, and also lap power, where a lap is either the duration of an interval for a specific workout or 2.5 miles if racing
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    3 second average, after a while it gets easier to keep to a certain power, but it changes the fun factor of just riding your bike.
  • 10secs
  • 3sec for me. Tried 10s but it's too slow to respond
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • 3s av , with 30s av, NP (lap) and AP (lap) also on screen.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    it can depend on the ride. high intensity 3 sec/ 10sec av, plus sometimes %FTP. longer rides 30sec av. if its a long outdoor ride where you may be stopping, freewheeling for periods total average watts probably isn't much use. On longer roller / turbo rides not necessary either as you can easily nail it on 30sec av. I also have heart rate on to keep an eye on HR drift v power
  • Stalin
    Stalin Posts: 208
    FatTed wrote:
    3 second average, after a while it gets easier to keep to a certain power, but it changes the fun factor of just riding your bike.

The idea of training with power is not to become skilled at keeping to a certain power or keeping power in narrow zones.

I'm not aware of any competitions where the winner is the person who managed to ride the most in zone.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Well some would argue many riders race a TT at very specific watts and also use the PM for pacing to achieve a negative split. Its not the only way to train and race but it's a way many use with success.

Then there's Froome who can't seem to keep his eye of his garmin. Seems to work for him...well at least in 2013!
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Stalin wrote:
    FatTed wrote:

The idea of training with power is not to become skilled at keeping to a certain power or keeping power in narrow zones.

I'm not aware of any competitions where the winner is the person who managed to ride the most in zone.

True,
    I was answering the question "When you have power, the power varies so much you can't really keep to a steady 150w"
    No question about competition either.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    10 second average for me, although I don't really look at it while riding. I train using specific HR zones, or if intervals, feel, I get my HR zones through regular lab testing (every 3-4 months) the power I use to measure progress, I look at it at the end of a ride.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • FatTed wrote:
    Stalin wrote:
    FatTed wrote:

True,
    I was answering the question "When you have power, the power varies so much you can't really keep to a steady 150w"
    No question about competition either.

I was hoping to have a setting in the garmin to tell me how many watts i was keeping but the 3s and 10s formats seem to be better then just having power