Fulcrum Quattros vs Pro Lite Bracciano A42

barbeluk1
barbeluk1 Posts: 14
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I was just about to place and order in Wiggle for some Fulcrum Quattros when I noticed they have the Pro Lite Bracciano A42 for £269. These are in budget and would be a deeper rim (42mm) for an extra 80 quid (the fulcrums are 35mm).

Does anyone have any advice on which to go for please? I'd be switching them for some stock Bontrager Road Wheels on my Trek. I'm just looking for a bit more speed on the straights and to improve the look of my ride, particularly as my misses has just lashed out on a sexy pair of 40mm carbon Roval Rapide CLX and I need to keep up in terms of looks as well as speed! I'm not as serious about it as she is...

Thanks,
Andy

Comments

• I have a pair of Quattros, they look nice, are stiff and well made but not especially light.

IMG_20140914_103728684.jpg
  • Oh - and cheap!
  • barbeluk1 wrote:
    Hi all,

I was just about to place and order in Wiggle for some Fulcrum Quattros when I noticed they have the Pro Lite Bracciano A42 for £269. These are in budget and would be a deeper rim (42mm) for an extra 80 quid (the fulcrums are 35mm).

Does anyone have any advice on which to go for please? I'd be switching them for some stock Bontrager Road Wheels on my Trek. I'm just looking for a bit more speed on the straights and to improve the look of my ride, particularly as my misses has just lashed out on a sexy pair of 40mm carbon Roval Rapide CLX and I need to keep up in terms of looks as well as speed! I'm not as serious about it as she is...

Thanks,
    Andy

A typical aero wheel (50 mm deep or so) will give you 15 Watt extra at 32 mph, but only 3 Watt extra at the usual 19 mph speed. If you plot how faster 3 extra watt propel you... it's around 0.1 mph faster. Moral is: you don't need deep wheels to keep up, but you might still need them for the look. Both the wheels you suggest are not a looker
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks for the replies so far.

Arthur - I think your bike looks great with the Fulcrums on it.

I know there's a load of discussion over whether it's worth upgrading your wheels is worth it performance wise. I'm a firm believer that it helps if you love what you ride and I'm certainly not embarrassed to say that I'd like new wheels for the aesthetic boost.

My question is, do I get the Pro Lites or the Fulcrums?

Thanks,
    Andy
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    barbeluk1 wrote:

The only relevant answer is - get the wheels you like the look of.
  • Imposter wrote:
    barbeluk1 wrote:

The only relevant answer is - get the wheels you like the look of.

+1 neither set of wheels will be duffers, so it's looks really :)
  • LOL - you're absolutely right...

I guess I was keen to see if anyone said 'don't buy the Pro Lites....'! I know the Fulcrums are OK as a mate has a set.

Unless anyone says 'don't buy the Pro Lites...', I think I'll order some.

Thanks,

Andy
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Don't order the Pro Lites!
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Oh - and cheap!

In that case, buy Campag Scirocco 35s. They're the same wheel as the Quattros.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    DKay wrote:
    Oh - and cheap!

I thought the spoke pattern was different?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Dabber wrote:
    DKay wrote:
    Oh - and cheap!

Yes the rear is very different, not anything in it price wise either. I understood the whole point of the Fulcrum brand was to open up a new market for Campag wheels on non Campag equiped bikes although you can buy the Scirocco with a Shimano freehub. Works for me.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Dabber wrote:
    DKay wrote:
    Oh - and cheap!

Yeah, but apart from that and the stickers, they are the same wheel.
  • Don't forget Quatttros have red nipples as well!
  • dabber
    DKay wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    DKay wrote:
    Oh - and cheap!

Yeah, but apart from that and the stickers, they are the same wheel.

So out of interest... genuine question...
    are there are advantages/disadvantages between the two different lacing patterns.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • dabber
    So just to pursue this. The wheels are similar in that they share some (all) of the same components - presumably rims, hubs, spokes? But they are not the same as they are laced differently... would that be correct?

• That's what Dkay said. I have no idea if it's true,
  • so; apart from the hubs, spokes, nipples, lacing pattern, stickers, paint, q/r, rim tape and box they are EXACTLY the same wheels!
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Fulcrum Wheels srl is a wholly owned company of Campagnolo that produces road bicycle and mountain bike wheelsets compatible with Campagnolo, Shimano and Sram drivetrains. The subsidiary brand was created so that Campagnolo could manufacture wheels compatible with products from rival drivetrain manufacturers, such as Shimano, without "pollution" of the brand.

Wheels - Racing 5 or Scirocco/Zonda

"I cannot comment specifically on the wheelsets you mention, but I have owned Fulcrum 7's and Racing Zero's, and Campag Eurus. All were utterly brilliant in their own right, fantastic hubs (far more reliable than Mavic in my experience).

I don't think you'll go wrong which ever you chose, but don't be put off Fulcrum because they are the smaller brother of Campagnolo, their wheels are superb and well built IME. The final decision might come down to looks - not everyone is a fan of the Campag 3 spoke cluster thing on the rear wheel."
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    barbeluk1 wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    Andy

I just went for a set of these, after stumbling across them last night randomly (I had been looking at the standard version of the A42 a while ago, before putting my deep section temptations to bed - all be it temporarily). The 40% off Wiggle deal swung it for me, not surprisingly.

I also have a pair of the A30s for summer use on my everyday bike and they are awesome - light, smooth, stiff... So if it's quality you're concerned about, don't be. If it's looks, that's a different matter and I'm not completely convinced myself. I may yet take advantage of Wiggle's free returns policy - although this is unlikely with the price they are.

Hope that helps..
  • craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    Got a set of the Pro Lite yesterday from Wiggle. Look great. Can't wait till summer to try them out. :) Have been getting wheel issues on summer bike quite regularly, these Pro Lites are supposed to be a lot stronger. Think they are rated for riders up to 150kg!

Had been watching them for a while and was tempted to pay full price before they dropped quite a bit.
  • london-red
    And they're back up to 10% discount, so a short window at the 40% off... Well done us, just don't tell the wife ;-)
  • London-Red wrote:
    I also have a pair of the A30s for summer use on my everyday bike..

Is that a figure of speech of some sort?
    left the forum March 2023
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I have the Fulcrums and they're great, really stiff.

But I'd probably just go with the ones with the nicest stickers on.
  • daver1
    daver1 Posts: 78
    I have pro-lite bracciano A27s and I'm disappointed with them.

The valve hole in the rim tape didn't line up with the hole in the wheel which wasn't hard to fix but might be an indicator of quality.

They went out of true in less than 100km with no major hits - not by much but by more than my shimano rs80s were out after well over 5,000km.

They don't break as smoothly as other wheels I've used and have a "grabby" feel under breaking which doesn't inspire confidence.

They're a bit cheaper than some wheels that I've used before but as far as I'm concerned the more expensive ones (eg rs80s) are worth the extra for hassle-free enjoyment.
  • london-red
    London-Red wrote:
    I also have a pair of the A30s for summer use on my everyday bike..

Is that a figure of speech of some sort?

Busted. Okay, so I have a set of A27s (because they are indeed A27s and not A30s) which I use for summer use on my steel bike, which I mostly use as a commuter but sometimes take it out of a weekend too... When the weather improves, I whip off the guards and swap wheels... Don't know why really - it's entirely unnecessary :roll:
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Did the OP get some Pro Lites? I'm also considering getting a set with the darker graphics.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • A bit of thread necromancy...

I have both the Fulcrums and the A42s.

I find the A42 front can be a touch tricky when its cross windy, and TBH I'm not convinced about its aero qualities when I see the HEDs and Zipps on a Sunday morning ride... certainly working on your flexibility to be able to hold a better shape is a cheaper alternative to aero wheels :-)

The A42 front weighs about 50g more than the Fulcrum front.

Both seem pretty bomb proof - my Quattro rear has about 12,000km on it, though it did need new bearings at about 10,000km. The Quattro front has about 13,000km and apart from occasional minor truing has needed nothing.

One thing I do like about the Fulcrums is how you can tighten the bearings without any special tools.

You'll have noticed that I don't discuss the rears... thats because my A42 rear has a Powertap G3, so I use it all the time, including commuting, and now has about 9000km on it.

For looks, well I've had people say "like the wheels" when I've got the A42s on.

Maybe thats enough to swing it!
  • Any pictures of a bike clad in the Pro Lites?
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • Any pictures of a bike clad in the Pro Lites?

https://www.strava.com/activities/287704327 - 1 picture there of mine.

I've been using them this year, done about 2,500 miles on them and touch wood still going great. So far would say well worth the money. As stated in the thread they are twitchy gusty cross winds.