Di2 electro-mechanical issues, post here.

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Following on from the spat going on in Workshop about this Di2 stuff, let's have a convenient place to post issues and hopefully resolutions to users' problems with Di2.

If you want to crow about how useless / pointless / overpriced / poncy they are, start your own thread and do it there if you don't mind.

My issues turned out to be a corroding cable plug at the BB junction B, fitted in the most ridiculous place possible for sensitive electronics.

Other known issues from that thread:

Batteries aren't that robust and can succumb to extended exposure to cold

The waterproof seal where the cable enters a device (FD, RD etc) isn't waterproof if the plug doesn't properly latch into the socket. The latching mechanism isn't overly robust, esp if grit or sand gets in when trying to reseat it. Best to only do that in a clean environment, not in a farmers gateway or on a dual c/way in a downpour.

Knock on effect of that is that the connectors can corrode if road water etc gets onto them and isn't cleaned. So occasionally unplug things, eyeball them and clean them. Lots of electrical cleaning stuff is readily available in places like Maplins.

Like any other electro-mechanical device, things can break. I know of two RDs that have apparently failed, based on the system working correctly again after their replacement. Maybe RDs are not well built, who knows?

The battery mount is occasionally reported as the source of untraceable faults. Unfortunately substitution seems to be the only way to test & fix this.

Comments

• Been on it since the first lot and now on 9000.

No issues - it's been set up right I guess, even after submerging the bike in a flood, wiring still OK, changes flawless and battery life still ridiculously long.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    On my third successive winter with no issues.

Battery life is fine and no issues what so ever with reliability or build quality. The unit has been submersed, riden in sub zero temperatures with no noticeable degradation in battery life

I wouldn't hesitate in speccing the same or updated version on my next bike.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Had a FDerailleur fail on me straight out of the box, but it's been replaced and all working very well now (so far - 4 weeks and counting).
  • If the cables are not seated properly they will leak and corrode.

if the cables are seated properly the system will run for ever without problems. Now on my second Di2, hydraulic. Son and wife both have Di2 and do thousands of miles.

I sometimes charge the battery before a 200km + event otherwise don't bother. I have never fiddled with rear derailleur setting since first getting system as it never goes out of true.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Good idea CIB!

Me and GF started with 6770 two years ago and have both upgraded to 11sp by fitting 6870 RDs.

Coming up for 3500 miles (me) and 5000 miles (GF) with no issues at all. I have ridden through fords and have ridden for hours in torrential rain with no issues.

I've checked the swap between my summer and winter wheels and this requires pressing for two motor steps (0.4mm), to set up prefect indexing.

I am now using EWW01 unit to display battery life and gear status on a Garmin 1000. Di2 Battery life will be reduced slightly by using the EWW01 but is approx 1.5% per hour of riding. This was based on 41 FD and 1025 RD changes on a 100 mile New Forest ride that took 7 hours.

I am running my switches in Paddle Shift layout with press and hold on 3 cogs. It is the perfect gear set.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • CiB wrote:
    Following on from the spat going on in Workshop about this Di2 stuff, let's have a convenient place to post issues and hopefully resolutions to users' problems with Di2.

If you want to crow about how useless / pointless / overpriced / poncy they are, start your own thread and do it there if you don't mind.

My issues turned out to be a corroding cable plug at the BB junction B, fitted in the most ridiculous place possible for sensitive electronics.

Other known issues from that thread:

Batteries aren't that robust and can succumb to extended exposure to cold

The waterproof seal where the cable enters a device (FD, RD etc) isn't waterproof if the plug doesn't properly latch into the socket. The latching mechanism isn't overly robust, esp if grit or sand gets in when trying to reseat it. Best to only do that in a clean environment, not in a farmers gateway or on a dual c/way in a downpour.

Knock on effect of that is that the connectors can corrode if road water etc gets onto them and isn't cleaned. So occasionally unplug things, eyeball them and clean them. Lots of electrical cleaning stuff is readily available in places like Maplins.

Like any other electro-mechanical device, things can break. I know of two RDs that have apparently failed, based on the system working correctly again after their replacement. Maybe RDs are not well built, who knows?

The battery mount is occasionally reported as the source of untraceable faults. Unfortunately substitution seems to be the only way to test & fix this.

But thats just it, most people dont have a problem with Di2. I smell a mechanical fanboy just trying to fan the flames and start yet another debate about problems that dont exist. To label the post " known Di2 problems" is a bit of a misleading heading as it implies everyone has the problems you have had, when the reality is its only you whos had them by the looks of it.

Give it a break sunshine, some people love mechanical some people love Di2. Why dont you start a thread called " known mechanical problems" because i can point to hundreds compared to Di2.

:roll:
  • The only issue I had was with set up of the front changer. It seems to be very sensitive to adjustments. I found it wasn't shifting up onto the big ring quite a cleanly as it should. Tried lots of tweaks and eventually found setting the upper limit screw just fraction further out completely cured the problem. Other than that, superb. Battery lasts ages and every shift is flawless. The only improvement I would like is a slightly more positive click in the changer buttons which would be better when wearing winter gloves.
  • CiB
    But thats just it, most people dont have a problem with Di2. I smell a mechanical fanboy just trying to fan the flames and start yet another debate about problems that dont exist. To label the post " known Di2 problems" is a bit of a misleading heading as it implies everyone has the problems you have had, when the reality is its only you whos had them by the looks of it.

Give it a break sunshine, some people love mechanical some people love Di2. Why dont you start a thread called " known mechanical problems" because i can point to hundreds compared to Di2.
    Reading not your strong point then? When I kicked off this thread, the 2nd paragraph...
    CiB wrote:
    ought to have given some indication of where I stand, as would the follow-up "let's have a convenient place to post issues and hopefully resolutions". Equally if you'd even thought to read the many other threads that touch on Di2 you'd see how great I think they are, which is why you'll find my descriptions of how neat the FD self trim is, how the consistent always-right change is so easy to get used to as the norm and how going back to mechanical shifts (also Ultegra) on the winter hack feels so odd after the electric version. In short matey-peeps, I'm Di2's biggest fan, even though with all the cr@p I had to put up with like repeated sudden discharge 20, 40 & 50 miles from home, checking that it was full in the evening but wheeling it out the next morning to find it dead again, to have the dealer look at it enough times for me to be on first name terms with everyone in the shop... I should be grandstanding about how awful it is. I love it, the next bike will have it and so will any more that I might buy years into the future.

I seem to be in a minority of not many people at all who've had issues, mine fortunately now resolved. When I was struggling to resolve the problems it was clear that not many go wrong as there's not much on the net about them in terms of failure. There are a couple of reports on here re short battery life, and Carlton Bale's excellent blog with a few tips, and not much more. I did notice a few consistent reports though, which you'll find in the silly argument in Workshop and which warranted a thread of their own. I'd really hope my problems with it were unique; I doubt that to be the case so started this thread so that anyone else struggling to fix their unlikely issue will hopefully find this and find known issues, of which there are some, grouped together in one place.

Edit. Forgot the :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    105, Ultegra and DA pi55 people off enough lol.
    An upper case, lower case and a numeral must fill them with dread :twisted:

Sorry CIB, may have been well intentioned but the title sounds like a haters thread to me.
    I do not have Di2 but it seems to work well above what most people would expect.
  • CiB
    Carbonator wrote:
    Sorry CIB, may have been well intentioned but the title sounds like a haters thread to me.
    I do not have Di2 but it seems to work well above what most people would expect.
    I give up. Mods. Pull the thread; everyone seems desperate to ignore its explanatory paragraphs and label this as a Di2-bashing thread.

Gawd help us.
  • FWIW, I got it.
  • A valiant effort CiB. It shouldn't be that hard, should it?
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    edited December 2014

So it follows that some people do have di2 issues then, if most people don't have a problem. So why not have a thread with known issues, so those who do occasionally have issues can look in one place.

A two minute look at the workshop board will list all the mechanical problems, it's been around long enough that they're all very well known, di2 doesn't have that same knowledge base.

Let's let people use this thread when they do have issues, because they will, maybe not very often, but they'll happen.
  • Anonymous
    Personally I feel that if the thread (with this title) was in the workshop it would be fine, but having it in road general just gets peoples backs up.
    Why would you want the Di2 'knowledge base' in road general if the mechanical one is in the workshop?

It does not matter what is said in the first paragraphs, the damage is done.
    Its a negative title that makes Di2 sound fault riddled.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    edited December 2014
    *edit* It's moved. Shall we leave it to be useful?
  • Anonymous
    I feel it sounds negative mainly because of where it is, not what it says.

New title sounds good, but I would change 'idiot' to 'fcukwit' :lol:
  • If you make it into a well documented thread, with evidence of things that have failed and how I am happy to put it up as a sticky thread... on the contrary if it ends up in an argument, probably ends up in the bin... up to you guys
    left the forum March 2023
  • CiB
    Carbonator wrote:
    Personally I feel that if the thread (with this title) was in the workshop it would be fine, but having it in road general just gets peoples backs up.
    Why would you want the Di2 'knowledge base' in road general if the mechanical one is in the workshop?

Known issues is negative? Twunt. Wait till you've had it fail for the umpteenth time despite a new everything and assurances that it's now sorted, or getting to work on a solid green and setting out 8 hours later to find it dead to the world.

I love it, but it has issues, which I and others know about. That makes them known issues, and rare enough to be hard to find on the net.

Congrats on your negativity and inability to see any suggestion of it being less than 100% perfect as doing it damage. Prat. Same to the other half-brain. What was he called? Brailsford badbrain or something?

Bye.
  • Anonymous
    So it was a haters/revenge thread after all then :roll:
  • CiB
    Carbonator wrote:
    So it was a haters/revenge thread after all then :roll:
    It's clearly too difficult for you.

Let's make it simple. I love Di2 but have had issues, and others may benefit from mine and others experience. I think you are a waste of space, determined to turn this into a Di2 bashing thread.
  • Carbonator wrote:

+1. My point exactly.
  • CiB wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Known issues is negative? Twunt. Wait till you've had it fail for the umpteenth time despite a new everything and assurances that it's now sorted, or getting to work on a solid green and setting out 8 hours later to find it dead to the world.

I love it, but it has issues, which I and others know about. That makes them known issues, and rare enough to be hard to find on the net.

Congrats on your negativity and inability to see any suggestion of it being less than 100% perfect as doing it damage. Prat. Same to the other half-brain. What was he called? Brailsford badbrain or something?

Bye.

Aww whats the matter mate? mum not get you ready for school on time this morning or have you just found out Father Christmas isn't real.

What a bell end you are. Still you've given me and the lads in the office a laugh, a dozen of us with Di2 here and you're the only numpty we know who's had 'known issues'. :lol:
  • CiB wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Bye.

Aww whats the matter mate? mum not get you ready for school on time this morning or have you just found out Father Christmas isn't real.

What a bell end you are. Still you've given me and the lads in the office a laugh, a dozen of us with Di2 here and you're the only numpty we know who's had 'known issues'. :lol:

Are folk with Di2 naturally just angry people OR is it because they get so xxxxed off standing next to their broken gear systems, in the pouring rain, waiting for their partners to come and collect them? :lol:
  • If you want to talk about Di2 issues in a civilised way, good... if you prefer to have a go at each other, I'll make a bundle and send you all for a deserved holiday until the new year (or longer)... simples... 8)
  • Carbonator wrote:

+1. My point exactly.

1) The thread is now in the correct workshop section

2) Title changed

Now get on with each other
  • I'm interested in the known issues. I've two systems - the older one is closing in on 4 years and the other 1.5 years and both have worked faultlessly despite being submerged at times. I'm wondering what I should be looking out for.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I have been using it over a year now with no issues.

My only concern is the under BB mounted battery seems venerable to me but has proved fine so far. I take it off to clean it and re-lub the terminals.

A thread with known issues would be very useful as a reference for future use though, so get them listed and list any fixes or tweaks that have been used as well please.

IS it worth updating the firmware to allow multi changes etc, ? has anyone had any issues doing this ?.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • IS it worth updating the firmware to allow multi changes etc, ? has anyone had any issues doing this ?.

My experience with ALL software/firmware is: if it ain't broke.....

I'd only do it if I really wanted/needed the features it brought.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • IS it worth updating the firmware to allow multi changes etc, ? has anyone had any issues doing this ?.

Can you get a Shimano virus by downloading an update? :shock:

Can you get a Shimano virus by downloading an update? :shock:

Nah - that's only Alfa Romeos

VirusAlfa.jpg