Do I bite the bullet - HT to FS

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    FS is just plain more fun. Unless you're bedevilled with a 'Protestant work ethic' then why martyr yourself?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I disagree, riding on a FS is like riding on mild sedatives, you can see the trail but you can't really feel whats going on! :-)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    .blitz wrote:
    If you want to feel less beat up then 120-140 mm is fine. If you want to get inventive with lines and not follow the same 2.25" wide line as everyone else then 150-170 mm gives you that freedom. If you want to hide behind the seatpost and let the suspension sort it out I can recommend 200mm

Sorry but 90% of what you just said there is pure shite, whether jokingly said or not. I say if you want to get more inventive with the trail you'll something light, short travel but with enough brawn to cope with a few wayward line choices is far better than a 30lb 150mm+ rig, especially around Cannock.
  • Angus Young
    Ferrals wrote:
    I disagree, riding on a FS is like riding on mild sedatives, you can see the trail but you can't really feel whats going on! :-)

You need a better FS bike.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Ferrals wrote:

Better, or at least better suited to the trails being ridden.

A decent FS set-up correctly for the rider will feel just as connected.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    lawman wrote:
    Sorry but 90% of what you just said there is pure shite, whether jokingly said or not. I say if you want to get more inventive with the trail you'll something light, short travel but with enough brawn to cope with a few wayward line choices is far better than a 30lb 150mm+ rig, especially around Cannock.
    You are of course entitled to your own opinion, even if it is wrong
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No no kids, no squabbling......I'll save the pennies, see whats available and take it from there.

I just want to know if 100mm (or what could be described as a 100mm bike regardless of actual travel) will be enough to let me ride harder and longer without my legs going like jelly! (from the downhills, not up!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    The Rookie wrote:
    No no kids, no squabbling......I'll save the pennies, see whats available and take it from there.

I just want to know if 100mm (or what could be described as a 100mm bike regardless of actual travel) will be enough to let me ride harder and longer without my legs going like jelly! (from the downhills, not up!)

A lot will depend on what bike, but personally I don't think it would be long before you'd reach the limits of what a 100mm bike can handle as your skill set improves / cajones increase in mass.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The guy's like old already. If he doesn't have skills by now, it's all downhill from here anyway.
    And I don't mean DH.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    .blitz wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    You are of course entitled to your own opinion, even if it is wrong

I rarely agree with lawman but on this occasion he is talking sense and you are talking rubbish.
    I would guess that either you have never owned a good short travel FS bike and/or you have absolutely zero riding ability.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    After a 10 year gap I got back into riding last year, despite still having my old HT (DMR Trailstar) I treated myself to a new FS (Canyon Nerve AL), the first thing I noticed was that the rear wheel would stay in contact with the ground far more, and then I found that because I could stay seated whilst pedaling over rooty bits my legs were much less tired after a ride.

I havent timed any runs on each bike so couldn't say if one is quicker downhill than the other, I think the HT feels quicker cos it's slacker and whips through corners but the FS is lighter so dunno really. I do know, although perhaps being just a bit fitter, on the FS I was able to knock about 20 mins off my time around verderers (blue) at FoD.

A 120mm FS makes a great alround bike IMO
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • The Rookie
    cooldad wrote:
    The guy's like old already. If he doesn't have skills by now, it's all downhill from here anyway.
    And I don't mean DH.
    I am, I haven't (well not as much as I'd like) and it certainly is, my skills are only just improving fast enough to offset the slide with age, I certainly am unlikely to do justice to anything over 120mm, and I want to enjoy the ride which to me doesn't just mean going fast, but going as fast as I can reasonably go on the bike I have and feeling 'connected' with the ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    See. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ With age comes wisdom.

Or senility.

Either way leads to contentment.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Ferrals wrote:

Nah I was just joking, my full sus the only fs I've ridden, is from 1996 and has that beautiful medium of elastomer for bounce! Well it doesn't really bounce any more...
  • Angus Young
    Ferrals wrote:
    Ferrals wrote:

Nah I was just joking, my full sus the only fs I've ridden, is from 1996 and has that beautiful medium of elastomer for bounce! Well it doesn't really bounce any more...

That must be... err... challenging. :lol:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    A bit late to the party but better late than never.

I switched over to FS about a year ago and have really enjoyed it. Its really bought my riding on. Its given me loads more confidence as the back end is able to absorb bumps and find grip compared to bouncing about but more importantly for you, I find it really does fatigue me less. Especially around trails centres where the trail is usually made from hardpack and has little chattery braking bumps or places where there are lots of exposed roots to roll over.

I would think a short travel frame with non racey geometry would suit you fine. Something like a Giant Anthem or Scott Spark, I'm sure there are a few more but these are the ones that come to mind. These are around 100mm travel but the geometry is not steep and they are more capable than you would think based on the travel. So you can still have fun on them without having the skills' of a pro racer.

I would also recommend trying to demo as many different suspension types as you can. When I was demoing lots of bikes to find the right one I was surprised to find how each bike's geometry made a big difference to how it felt and also how different each rear suspension system felt. I had never tried a full suspension bike before so thought the novelty of any rear end compliance would over ride any of the subtle differences but I was pleasantly surprised that I could feel the difference between different systems.

I personally really liked the Trek Feul EX, I thought I was very balanced in terms of climbing and descending abilities. I was very happy to chuck it down technical sections and it was easy to climb back to the top. But I did find Trek's system was very compliant and super smooth, the grip under braking was one of the best. Maybe this didn't suit you as you are used to a more direct feel of a hardtail.
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 33
    Just bite the bullet. I went from a HT to a 130mm travel FS and the one thing I love it for is comfort. It also gives a lot more confidence and I don't feel at all disconnected from the ride.

I thought it would be awful for climbing etc but I don't even notice the difference from my HT or CX, just do it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I always go back to the Zaskar - I just like the more direct feel and lighter weight for the way I ride (and what I ride). Sure I like a change now and again, as I like to try different things, and that itself is fun.

All I can suggest is try it out and see for yourself.
  • The Rookie
    edited December 2014
    I guess the best thing is to persuade the son to let me borrow his Scott for a ride (link in sig), its a bit heavier than mine (2.3Kg) so if it works for me with the extra weight then the lighter weight I could build one at will only be a positive, of course it will also be down to getting the right frame (and shock).
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If you are looking at a parts swap from your hardtail then you are basically saying you want a 100mm 26er FS which is distinctly limiting in the new frame market.

However I'd be tempted by a well kept older model Blur (or even Superlight) - a Blur with VPP will give you the efficient pedalling plus the compliant suspension for ironing out the bumps. And its such a nice frame its worthy of stripping and recoating etc. Plus its light which I think appeals to the weight weeny in you. I know this wasn't a what frame thread but that just came into my mind as I was reading.

I have no issues with a 100mm FS for the UK, for me and for the riding I prefer in the UK I'd probably go a little bigger especially so it could also serve for alpine adventures but if you aren't tripping too much further afield 100mm would be fine.

For me I love my hardtail and before I got my Bronson I preferred it for most riding to my old Heckler - since the Bronson has become the bike I wanted with new suspension and so on every time I get on the hardtail all I notice is the flexing wheels and forks and the lack of suspension. The right bike in the right terrain makes the ride.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Will watch with interest - if anything like your Kraken build it should be a good one!
  • The Rookie
    Haha, yes if I do it I'll start a new build thread for the new bike.
  • The Rookie
    Thanks GT, but bullet chewed on and an FS frame on it's way, not Merida as they don't do any lightweight FS (even the Boardman are heavy) and rather boutique I'm afraid to say!
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    The Rookie wrote:
    Thanks GT, but bullet chewed on and an FS frame on it's way, not Merida as they don't do any lightweight FS (even the Boardman are heavy) and rather boutique I'm afraid to say!
    Spit it out!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Lewis A wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Spit it out!

A nice lightweight Carrera Banshee build maybe? :)
  • What frame did you go for in the end?
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Lewis A wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Spit it out!

A nice lightweight Carrera Banshee build maybe? :)
    He said no Merida, so I was thinking a nice, light Kona Stinky?
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • The Rookie
    Someone will suggest a Coiler next! A friend has a trail spec Banshee, but the frame is really heavy, the other Merida frames are Horst link as well and none are that light.

It came down in the end to a choice of three in the end, one frame was a bit heavier at 2.7kg, another one would have been great but couldn't find the right size, the one I've gone for is a lightweight ally frame and should come in at about 2.3kg as complete frame with shock fitted.

Once I have the frame and checked it over I'll start a YMB thread!
  • I didnt know they did Carrera as well. Thought it was just Giant aswell. So is a Carrera frame technically on the same level of quality as a Giant frame?

Looking forward to the thread. Should be good if its anything like your Carrera thread.