carrying tools ,pump,innertube ect. help!!

Elijah2010
Elijah2010 Posts: 56
edited December 2014 in Road general
this may seem a stupid question but whats the best way to carry all your stuff on a ride. i use a small hydration rucksack with the bladder removed. i used to take a small saddle bag but the pump wont go in and then theres no place to put a rear light as my catseye fits to the seat stem .i cant get on with the co2 cannisters .iv"e just bought one of them tool bottles but again my small pump wont fit .iv"e even bought plastic holders that fits to your crossbar but pump kept falling off everytime you went over any lumps in the road.i wish bikes still came with the old moulded crossbar conectors.regards paul

Comments

• davoj
    davoj Posts: 190
    I just put tube and small pump/Co2 canniest in a middle back pocket and multi tool & levers in saddle bag. I have noticed others cutting the top of a water bottle and putting all of the above in a spare bottle.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Does your pump have a frame fit bracket? That's the best way to deal with them, or stick it in a back pocket.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Over time you get to know what you actually need to cover you on rides which dont mean the kitchen sink syndrome.
    Winter means small saddle bag Topeak aero wedge to keep it minimal.. pockets for pump, small Topeak ratchet set, another tube, food, phone. The bag contains co2 , co2 head, tube, chain link, disposable gloves.. mars bar .. nope wont fit, bit of money, zip ties.
    Nothing on the frame save for a water bottle.
    You can still get NOS from the 1970/1980s if you still hanker for full size pump attachments to a steel framed bike.
  • i got all mine stuffed into a second water bottle( more specifically a storage bottle from evans cycles, but a water bottle will do....pump, co2, 2 tubes, multi tool, chain link, tyre boot, tyre levers.........

most bikes have 2 water bottle holders, and dead easy to transfer between bikes :), never forget anything
  • Elijah2010 wrote:
    this may seem a stupid question.
    regards paul

You are aware there is a 'Road Beginners' section on this forum, and a 'search' function?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    dirtyginge wrote:
    i got all mine stuffed into a second water bottle( more specifically a storage bottle from evans cycles, but a water bottle will do....pump, co2, 2 tubes, multi tool, chain link, tyre boot, tyre levers.........

most bikes have 2 water bottle holders, and dead easy to transfer between bikes :), never forget anything

Me too, except my minipump is in a clamp at the rear waterbottle mount.
    If I need more water (somtimes in the summer) I stick a disposable bottle in my backpocket.
    Always the sufficient stuff and no saddlebag which I don't like.
  • Elijah2010 wrote:
    this may seem a stupid question.
    regards paul

You are aware there is a 'Road Beginners' section on this forum, and a 'search' function?
    o.k mr grumpy.
  • It's dead easy to carry what you need in just 3 jersey pockets.

My every day kit-
    Topeak small saddlebag:
    Multi tool, tiny cable lock and key (for rural cafe stops or emergency toilet breaks in towns), tyre levers, self adhesive tyre patches, chain tool, quick link- and about 1/3 space to spare.

In the jersey:
    pocket 1: Phone and tube
    pocket 2: mump, money, food
    pocket 3: free for food, jacket, spare clothing or 1st aid kit as needed.

You don't even need a saddlebag- you could put the levers and multitool easily in a pocket instead, but I keep mine on the bike so I don't lose them ;)
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Pocket.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    As you can see, everyone has a different answer, and its a subject where no one will agree so just do what suits yourself.

I have two different pumps, a Lezyne road drive, and a Specialized road 48 air tool (?) and both of these models have really firmly gripping frame brackets that fit under a bottle cage. They both also have a strap for extra security and have never come off. I suspect you may have just been unlucky in your pump choice.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Pocket.
    ^^This
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    I carry my bike pump on the frame using the supplied bracket which is a good fit, however I cut a section of old inner tube to fit over the section of the pump that interfaces with the bracket. I find that this affords added security/grip to the fixing.

I carry the minimum of tools, 3,4,5mm hex allen wrench, T30 Torx wrench, Park chain brute and spare quick links, tyre boot, 3 tyre levers, repair patches and glue, small flat blade screwdriver and a few cable ties. All fits into a small Altura speed pack saddle bag, with rear light attached to loop fixing. Spare inner tubes are carried in rear jersey pockets.
  • Pump on the frame is best, preferably framefit (HPX etc) as they are more secure, and mini pumps are rubbish.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    I carry my bike pump on the frame using the supplied bracket which is a good fit, however I cut a section of old inner tube to fit over the section of the pump that interfaces with the bracket. I find that this affords added security/grip to the fixing.

I carry the minimum of tools, 3,4,5mm hex allen wrench, T30 Torx wrench, Park chain brute and spare quick links, tyre boot, 3 tyre levers, repair patches and glue, small flat blade screwdriver and a few cable ties. All fits into a small Altura speed pack saddle bag, with rear light attached to loop fixing. Spare inner tubes are carried in rear jersey pockets.
    does the, park chain brute work on10 and 11 speed chains ,the 10 speed chain is kmc and 11 speed is a shimano chain does that matter?
  • Elijah2010 wrote:
    does the, park chain brute work on10 and 11 speed chains ,the 10 speed chain is kmc and 11 speed is a shimano chain does that matter?

just stop, whoever you are just stop.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Multitool, tube and puncture kit in saddle bag with wet wipes and cleat covers. Pump on frame. Food left pocket. Empty food wrappers right pocket. Centre pocket phone, jacket, money for ferry or supplies. Front bottle cage snow peak stove. Rear cage stove top espresso. Water is for summer only.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Front bottle cage snow peak stove. Rear cage stove top espresso. Water is for summer only.

Last time I was in Poole, I am sure I saw a Costa and a Starbucks!
  • Front bottle cage snow peak stove. Rear cage stove top espresso. Water is for summer only.

Last time I was in Poole, I am sure I saw a Costa and a Starbucks!

Exactly
  • dj58
    Elijah2010 wrote:

Park website says not and I have not tried it as I'm on 10 speed at the moment.
    http://www.parktool.com/product/mini-ch ... chain-tool

May be someone who has one and is on 11 speed will reply with the answer, otherwise do a web search to see what else is available. Edit just spotted this http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Tools/link11
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Pituophis wrote:

I have .... a Lezyne road drive... [which has a] really firmly gripping frame brackets that fit under a bottle cage. They both also have a strap for extra security and have never come off. I suspect you may have just been unlucky in your pump choice.

+1

Lezyne pumps are good and mine is virtually welded to my frame with the clip and velcro strap.

The rest of my gear goes in a Topeak aero wedge saddlebag (multitool, spare tube, levers, patches)

Not sure how you've ended up in such a quandary over this.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do you have cycling kit ? With the pockets on the back ? You'll get whatever stuff won't fit in your saddle pack in there. I use a Lezyne pouch to keep my loose tools in. I'd not sweat about a chain breaker really - its quite a rare occurrence snapping a chain.

As has been said - get a pump that has a bracket to clip it to the frame. Most of them attach under your bottle cage.

If you've no space for a light on your seatpost - get a pack that you can clip one too - but I'd much rather find the space on the seatpost and have a smaller pack ? Or is your frame too big and the saddle slammed down ?

Lights on your backpack tend to wobble a bit so it might not be pointing quite the right way up or down or to the side ?
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Get a Sticky Pod. Much better than saddle bags etc.

http://tinyurl.com/ofyzd2t
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    johnny25 wrote:
    Get a Sticky Pod. Much better than saddle bags etc.

http://tinyurl.com/ofyzd2t
    looks handy!
    I use a second drinks bottle CO2 pump, inner tube, patches, tyre levers fits snug!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Saddle bag:
    Spare tube
    Puncture repair kit
    Plastic gloves
    Tyre levers
    Inhaler (you may not require this ;))
    Multitool

Mini-pump attached to the frame.

Pockets:
    Phone
    Keys
    Credit card
    Food
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I usually stuff the pump in a rear pocket on my top.

The tubes, levers, Allen keys, splitter and wotnot go in an old supermarket 'fresh soup' carton that slots neatly into a bottle cage.

As an alternative, cut an opening 'window' in a tired, old bidon whose spout has failed. Then, people don't even know you have a toolkit... they just think you're very thirsty.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    cougie wrote:
    I'd not sweat about a chain breaker really - its quite a rare occurrence snapping a chain.

For their size though, they'll save you a right pain if it does go.
  • dj58
    Gozzy wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    I'd not sweat about a chain breaker really - its quite a rare occurrence snapping a chain.

For their size though, they'll save you a right pain if it does go.

And when your chain does break it will be when you are miles away from home in the middle of nowhere. :oops:
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    This has been discussed many times and there's 2 typical approaches and a few other variations.
    Those of each persuasion tend to view adherents to the alternative approach with contempt.
    I favour the bike mounted approach (as do all rational folk :wink: ).
    My list would be almost identical to markhewitt1978 above but replace the credit card with some cash that I keep in the saddle bag and remove the inhaler.

Bike mounted - saddle bag:
    Saddle bag for multitool, tube, levers, CO2, etc
    Pump mounted on frame
    Pros:
    Unlikely to forget anything since it's all on your bike already
    Plenty space in your pockets for food, additional layers if needed (also keys & phone if they're not in the saddlebag)
    I would argue it's more comfortable and safer not having a multitool, levers or pump in your pocket
    Cons:
    If you have multiple bikes you'll need to either move the saddle bag and pump between bikes (just need multiple mounts) or have multiple sets of gear.

Bike mounted - bottle cage canister:
    As above but replace the saddle bag with a canister in a bottle cage. Many who use this solution also seem to carry the pump in their pocket with the same negatives as mentioned for "rider carried" below.
    If you only ever do short rides or you have additional bottles on the handlebars or behind the saddle (TT bike?) this would be fine but I can't imagine voluntarily giving up a bottle mount and reducing my unsupported range by half.
    Most of my rides are 3 hours or less and lots of them up in the mountains with no easy access to supplies. 2 large bottles is just about enough.
    Pros:
    As above
    Appearances (canister looks like a bottle which is apparently more acceptable than a saddle bag)
    Cons:
    You lose a bottle space.

Rider carried:
    Stuff it all in your pockets
    Either individual bits and pieces free floating or a tool wallet, pump and tubes.
    Pros:
    Bike has no saddle bag or pump attached - more "pro" looking
    ~€20 savings on a saddle bag
    Cons:
    Proponents don't seem to have an issue but I've tried riding with a pump, spare tube and multitool in my pockets and found it rather annoying.
    Potential danger of falling on your back with large solid materials in your pocket (pump, multitool & levers)
    There's less space left in the pockets for food, phone, gilet, armwarmers, etc.
    Potential for forgetting something.

As far as I can see the only significant reason for the "rider carried" option is vanity.
    Obviously plenty people in the "rider carried" camp will disagree with my assessment - if not I can't think why they stick to that approach! So be it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I have a pack on each of my bikes with spare tubes (that fit the bike - with deep rims this is important !) and levers and a co2 canister in.
    I'll take my tools and pump (unless its on the frame) with me in a back pocket. I probably take too much with me in this. I'd not use a bottle space for this - and certainly in summer temperatures.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's down to your attitude to risk (& what you can do about it), previous form, and how bothered you are about looks and convenience.

I've arrived at this:

On the bike, one Topeak saddle bag with a spare tube, PRK, levers and 2 x CO2s. Having it in a bag already on the bike means I'm unlikely to forget it, and punctures are a reasonable expectation. Any other catastrophic failure isn't IME.

In the back pockets - phone, keys if I need them (for the office or if no-one's in when I leave or get back) otherwise don't bother, and a bit of cash, enough to buy a snack of some kind if it all goes pear-shaped but after carrying spare food & gels about for countless miles I don't bother with food any more.

That's enough for anything up to a couple of hours. Beyond that I might stick an extra tube & CO2 in my back pocket, a bite to eat & a few gels, more cash & a debit card.

If a major failure does happen once in a blue moon I'll deal with it [phone home, taxi...] but weighing down every ride with tools & spares seems a bit OTT. Look after your bike; after any serious maintenance on it either yours or the LBS, go out for a short run close to home to check it out, and give it the once over as a final check.