Cameron is a windbag

2»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,968
    Manc33 wrote:
    Don't tell me, you can always become an MP and affect change yourself... not really possible though is it unless you're corrupt, compromised, perverted and in a few secret societies. :roll:
    I can think of a few who would fit that job description perfectly!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,968
    All a side issue of course. Cameron is a windbag but no more than any senior political figure of the last 20 or 30 years. ......
    Or more likely opposition leader when the previous PM loses an election and gets deposed. I mean you can';t have a loser in the top party job can you!!?
    Truncated merely to save space.
    May I point you in the general direction of Yes Prime Minister?
    Accurately sums up the whole situation where civil servants run the Country and politicians are merely figure heads.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    I always assumed that to enjoy free trade with the EU, you had to be in it, but it appears not.
    The rhetoric that xx% of our trade is with the EU and to leave would be economic suicide may be wrong.

"Thanks to the unrecognised but astounding work of the World Trade Organisation there really is no need for either an EU single market. Average import tariffs into the EU are 1.09 per cent for the United States – and it does not bear the cost of EU commissioners and hangers-on, bureaucrats, politicians and advisers, nor an EU parliament or an EU membership fee to gain access to what the Confederation of British Industry claims mistakenly is vital to our economic survival.

Canada, Switzerland and South Korea all have Free Trade agreements with the EU to gain access without cost to the erroneously titled “single market” and the Lisbon Treaty makes the EU duty-bound to give any country leaving – be it the UK or Scotland – the same deal.
    "

http://www.scotsman.com/news/brian-mont ... -1-3634328

As we are a net contributor to the EU and could get the same deal on trade from outside, I have to ask. What's in it for us?"

That is, assuming the quoted article is correct.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I always assumed that to enjoy free trade with the EU, you had to be in it, but it appears not.
    The rhetoric that xx% of our trade is with the EU and to leave would be economic suicide may be wrong.

"Thanks to the unrecognised but astounding work of the World Trade Organisation there really is no need for either an EU single market. Average import tariffs into the EU are 1.09 per cent for the United States – and it does not bear the cost of EU commissioners and hangers-on, bureaucrats, politicians and advisers, nor an EU parliament or an EU membership fee to gain access to what the Confederation of British Industry claims mistakenly is vital to our economic survival.

Canada, Switzerland and South Korea all have Free Trade agreements with the EU to gain access without cost to the erroneously titled “single market” and the Lisbon Treaty makes the EU duty-bound to give any country leaving – be it the UK or Scotland – the same deal.
    "

http://www.scotsman.com/news/brian-mont ... -1-3634328

As we are a net contributor to the EU and could get the same deal on trade from outside, I have to ask. What's in it for us?"

That is, assuming the quoted article is correct.

I have read similar articles on this. Trade to and from the UK will not cease just because we are independent of any EU trade agreements. It is complete nonsense that the UK is incapable of negotiating its own terms of trade.

As for Clegg continually claiming that 3 million jobs are at risk if we leave. He should be the subject of an enquiry into these claims. Trade will not cease over night if we leave. The UK is on of the leading economies in the world, inspite of its debts and fragile finances.
    I suspect Clegg's only interest in staying is the EU Renewable Energy bill supported by the Lib Dems, that has been foisted on us. And the little known fact that his beloved wife is an executive director of the worlds largest manufacturer of wind turbines. A position she took up 1 month after he became deputy PM. Strange coincidence? Conflict of interest?......not according to Gus O'Donnell and all the other self serving ministers and mandarins.

The political establishment needs shaking up and waking up. UKIP all the way for me.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo
    bompington wrote:

It's the Guardian. Pro EU paper.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    So they're lying when they point out that Farage milks the system like all the rest?
  • mr_goo
    bompington wrote:
    So they're lying when they point out that Farage milks the system like all the rest?

Didn't say that. But that is a very old story by the looks of it.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    And the little known fact that his beloved wife is an executive director of the worlds largest manufacturer of wind turbines. A position she took up 1 month after he became deputy PM. Strange coincidence? Conflict of interest?......not according to Gus O'Donnell and all the other self serving ministers and mandarins.

Had Mrs Clegg been on the board of a coal company presumably that would be used as an example of how he preaches one thing whilst gaining from another, hypocracy etc.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    florerider wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    And the little known fact that his beloved wife is an executive director of the worlds largest manufacturer of wind turbines. A position she took up 1 month after he became deputy PM. Strange coincidence? Conflict of interest?......not according to Gus O'Donnell and all the other self serving ministers and mandarins.

Had Mrs Clegg been on the board of a coal company presumably that would be used as an example of how he preaches one thing whilst gaining from another, hypocracy etc.

I didn't write any of that! :wink:
  • mr_goo
    florerider wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

the-fawlty-towers-issue-4.jpg
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Ballysmate wrote:
    florerider wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

I didn't write any of that! :wink:

Apologies, must have done the delete wrong in shortening it.