Kinetic Rock & Roll indoor trainer?.

www777
www777 Posts: 48
Hi
Looking at purchasing one of these seen good reviews etc, but asking for any info on anyone who's using one what they are like or if worth the money???.

Thanks.

Comments

• I have one of these, the older one with the curved legs. As a trainer, I really like them. They feel good, are very quiet and reliable. I'm not that bothered with the RnR feature though.
    If I was buying again, I would probably just go with a normal one, but I have heard of others who love that feature.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I have one and feel much the same as ManxShred about it - it's a fabulous trainer but I'd probably get the KK Road Machine if buying now. That doesn't mean I don't like anything about the RnR - it just doesn't really add anything for me for quite a bit of extra cost.
  • I've got one and have used it for over 2 years. I really like the movement it provides and feel that it does provide a better experience over and above a traditional fixed rear wheel trainer. The riser block is good although it does mean that the front wheel can turn which takes a bit of getting used to.

Added to that the Inride powermeter reader alongside my smart phone gives me an accurate heart rate and power reading solely for the turbo. If I were to need a new turbo, I would be buying the same one again.
  • Grifteruk wrote:
    If I were to need a new turbo, I would be buying the same one again.

Me too.
    I like the R&R feature. I find it great for out of saddle efforts and it helps with comfort on the longer sessions.
    I use mine with or without the pro flywheel depending on the style of workout.
    A bit of a faff getting the bike level on the initial set up is my only negative comment.
    Very well built solid unit.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    Grifteruk wrote:
    If I were to need a new turbo, I would be buying the same one again.

Me too.

And me
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    ManxShred wrote:
    I have one of these, the older one with the curved legs. As a trainer, I really like them. They feel good, are very quiet and reliable. I'm not that bothered with the RnR feature though.
    If I was buying again, I would probably just go with a normal one, but I have heard of others who love that feature.
    +2. I had a R&R, when I replaced it under warranty I opted for the RM. R&R is quite good, but not worth the $.
    Rich
  • The disadvantage being that the Rock and Roll is absolutely MASSIVE. Personally I'd go with the Cycleops Fluid 2. There's one in the classifieds now I just saw. No I don't know the guy.
  • Having just got a RnR, have to say I like it :D

I've only had one go on it to-date, but found the movement (rocking), when seated at least is very realistic and I like. Out of the saddle movement seems quite weird, but that might just be me? It's not as "natural", as on the road.

Great piece of kit though, and I don't think it's that big (v2 I'm talking about here- v1 has slightly larger footprint)
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Out of interest, how much movement do other RnR users have on their unit / how tightly have you cranked up the assembly?
    The first time I set it up I am pretty sure I tightened to the recommended torque but this resulted in practically no rockin' and rollin'. So, I loosened off a bit to increase movement, but it is still nowhere near as much side to side movement as on the road. The bike probably only moves a couple of inches left to right when cranking out of the saddle.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    Used mine for the first time this week. It seems very good, good feel etc.
    The biggest problem for me was the front wheel. I had it propped up on a piece of wood. Don't ask me why!! and the front kept moving around when stood up.
    I might get one of the fixed riser bars or just leave the front on the floor. I'm hoping to use it for mainly interval sessions when I need to put in some effort.

Any advice for a turbo virgin always welcome :)
  • shazzz wrote:
    Out of interest, how much movement do other RnR users have on their unit / how tightly have you cranked up the assembly?
    The first time I set it up I am pretty sure I tightened to the recommended torque but this resulted in practically no rockin' and rollin'. So, I loosened off a bit to increase movement, but it is still nowhere near as much side to side movement as on the road. The bike probably only moves a couple of inches left to right when cranking out of the saddle.

My maiden voyage was using the factory torqued elastomer level. Seemed ok for me for now. As I said, out of the saddle seems a little harder to adjust to. I'm just enjoying the ability to smash it sat down and able to throw the bike about Voigt style :D