Trainer resistance - power based training

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
Was wondering if anyone could explain what effect changing the trainer resistance would have when doing power based training.

I tend to set mine on what feels like flat road. Just wondered if there was a consensus / any recommendations on this. Or should I just mix it up?!

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    A moderate resistance level and long duration exercise sessions will benefit endurance and cardio, but will be less effective for increasing strength and power.

I'd suggest choosing a 'time duration' and increase the resistance slightly after each is completed. When you have completed a 'quite difficult' duration, reduce to the beginning resistance level and reduce your pace until your heart rate lowers to a comfortable level - then increase the pace and effort and repeat the cycle. After several rounds, you'll notice that you cannot achieve the same pace for the 'quite difficult' section - just continue doing the best you can to achieve your goal for the amount of exercise / exhaustion.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Thanks for the reply Jay. I'm using TrainerRoad at the moment so I can't really change the resistance mid session.

I did a set of 100% FTP intervals today on a higher resistance and found it really hard going. I haven't done the same workout on lower resistance to compare it with, but I'm sure it would have felt easier.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    CptKernow wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Jay. I'm using TrainerRoad at the moment so I can't really change the resistance mid session.

I did a set of 100% FTP intervals today on a higher resistance and found it really hard going. I haven't done the same workout on lower resistance to compare it with, but I'm sure it would have felt easier.

Just to clarify.. if you were chasing , say 225 watts, using resistance x and then next time decided to use the lesser resistance y on the turbo, you'd still be working just as hard chasing those 225 watts.
    It wouldnt be easier, only backing off will make it so.
  • JGSI wrote:
    Just to clarify.. if you were chasing , say 225 watts, using resistance x and then next time decided to use the lesser resistance y on the turbo, you'd still be working just as hard chasing those 225 watts.
    It wouldnt be easier, only backing off will make it so.

Yes, that much I understand.
    It just felt harder producing the same watts at a higher resistance. Which probably means I should do more of it...