Turbo Trainer reccomendation

Joelpricey
Joelpricey Posts: 2
Ive been looking at getting myself a turbo trainer for when the weather is just too gloomy and windy to justify going out at 5am in the morning. But wherever i look i see ones that to me look the same for £100 as ones that cost upwards of £600 and I've no idea what I'm missing!

I dont really want to spend a fortune as I've made a massive outlay on my bike already and just want something that is going to see me through the winter months.

So my question is whats the difference? If i buy a £150 turbo trainer is it going to end up with me having to buy 4 or 5 extra add ons or is there a good one out there for under £200 that will do everything i need?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Joelpricey wrote:
    or is there a good one out there for under £200 that will do everything i need?

depends on what you need?
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    I bought a CycleOps Jet Fluid winter training package.
    The turbo is excellent, resistance automatically and smoothly increases/decreases as the speed of rotation of the back wheel increases/decreases, meaning you use the gears to increase/decrease resistance.
    You also get a bike thong to protect the bike from sweat, a floor mat to protect the floor from sweat, two riser blocks for the front wheel, plus a training DVD.
    The turbo comes with a lifetime guarantee.
  • LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    BSRU wrote:
    I bought a CycleOps Jet Fluid winter training package.
    The turbo is excellent, resistance automatically and smoothly increases/decreases as the speed of rotation of the back wheel increases/decreases, meaning you use the gears to increase/decrease resistance.
    You also get a bike thong to protect the bike from sweat, a floor mat to protect the floor from sweat, two riser blocks for the front wheel, plus a training DVD.
    The turbo comes with a lifetime guarantee.

I also bought this recently, really impressed with the quality and how quiet it is.

£299 from Evans.
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • I've just bought an Elite crono fluid from wiggle for £129.99

It's the first turbo I have ever experienced, seems quiet enough and fairly good value for a fluid. The resistance is added by changing gear so is very similar to riding in the road. But then again, I'm no expert.
  • I have the Cycleops one too. It's good.

But I keep wondering if I should have spent more money and got one of those Tacx interactive ones that you hook up to your computer.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    I have the Cycleops one too. It's good.

But I keep wondering if I should have spent more money and got one of those Tacx interactive ones that you hook up to your computer.

My suggestion is to buy a good, cheap fluid trainer (or if you are really strapped for cash any cheap turbo) then hook it up to one of the software suggestions by DCRainMaker

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/wint ... depth.html

> You also get a bike thong to protect the bike from sweat, a floor mat to protect the floor from sweat, two riser blocks for the front wheel, plus a training DVD.

Use a towel instead of a thong. Use either a camping mat or a bit of industrial carpet instead of a floor mat. Rider blocks? Not really necessary but you can make one out of a of 1x1 if you have a saw and screwdriver. That's 30 quid saved.

Training DVD? No, if you want to use a turbo effectively get some software that will give you power, hr, cadence and let you ride training programmes. See DCRM link above.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Riser blocks .. daft name really... they keep the bike level when the bike is clamped into the turbo frame.
    Ride without if you want to be pretending going downhill.