average speed

Elijah2010
Elijah2010 Posts: 56
hi just wonderd what a respectable average speed is for a 83 kilo 50 years young rider would be, my course is 31.6 miles and is about 3rd up hill . i ride on my own so have no one to compare to.regards paul.

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Piece of string
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • The problem is nobody knows the terrain or how fit you are or the equipment you are using or the weather or your health. This makes giving an average speed very difficult, no impossible. A respectable speed may be anywhere between 10(ish) mph and 25(ish) mph. The best thing you can do is record yourself over that route and make comparisons. But even that is not easy as conditions change and also some days you just feel good and others not so.
  • 25kph
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    i ride on my own so have no one to compare to.

then don't worry about it.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A very rough guide is 15mph depending on conditions etc. I have ridden into winds our way where I was decelerating going downhill and if it is wet you can't corner as fast or brake as late. Best to get the miles in over the winter ready for the spring when you can start to push yourself. If you use Strava it will give you an idea of how you are getting on.

In the end best just to enjoy the riding :)
  • 10, 15, 20, 25mph or higher depending on who you are. I do 14 to 16mph over the short 7 mile commute depending on how I feel. Slower when I have no energy and struggling. Used to do 21 to 24mph over my old 8 mile commute a few years ago when a lot fitter and used my old road bike. Use a hybrid now which I say is slower by almost 5mph and I'm sticking to that assertion. Nothing to do with my relative level of inactivity in the intervening years!
  • imposter2.0
    Kajjal wrote:
    A very rough guide is 15mph depending on conditions etc.

No it isn't. That's just an arbitrary number, so its worthless.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Imposter wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    A very rough guide is 15mph depending on conditions etc.

No it isn't. That's just an arbitrary number, so its worthless.

It's the speed where wind resistance starts to have more of an impact so is useful as a very rough guide but there is no accurate right answer as there are too many variables of which I gave some examples.
  • imposter2.0
    It's a pointless discussion, because the OP has already posted this in an earlier thread, so you have to presume he has either forgotten he posted that, or was making it up...
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    i do a 32 mile ride twice a week my average speed is 18.5 mph . its not very flat at least a 3rd up hill my best time is 1 hour 40 minutes.im 50 years of age so i dont think im doing bad for an old git.my best average for this particular run is 18.8 mph ,
  • Imposter wrote:
    It's a pointless discussion, because the OP has already posted this in an earlier thread, so you have to presume he has either forgotten he posted that, or was making it up...
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    i do a 32 mile ride twice a week my average speed is 18.5 mph . its not very flat at least a 3rd up hill my best time is 1 hour 40 minutes.im 50 years of age so i dont think im doing bad for an old git.my best average for this particular run is 18.8 mph ,
    i didnt forget i just didnt get a answer last time.
  • imposter2.0
    You didn't get an answer because there isn't one.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    i didnt forget i just didnt get a answer last time.

25kph/ +, as the poster above said.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    If you can ride it at 18.8mph then why not target 20mph? And when you've cracked that bump it up.

But chasing average speeds too closely is counter-productive. You need to go much faster, then recover and repeat. And for those rides perhaps your average will fall, but the future may be faster.

Paul
  • Does it really matter?
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • yes thinking about it everyone is different whats quick for one rider might be slow to someone else its all subjective. the only real way to no is enter a race then you would find out whats average.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    yes thinking about it everyone is different whats quick for one rider might be slow to someone else its all subjective. the only real way to no is enter a race then you would find out whats average.

It would help you work out roughly how you compare with riders in that race but not great for finding an average speed. In a race you can wheel suck your way around.
    There is no chance I can ride 24+mph on my own for 80+ miles but in a pace line it's possible.

If you really want some idea of average speed enter a TT (Time Trial) or make your own, find a nice flat uninterrupted 10 or 25 mile loop.
  • i think i just want to see how i would do against other riders ,same day same conditions no excuses,but to be honest only one person has ever gone past me and that was going up hill,he was good 20 kilo"s lighter than me .i think because i ride on my own i"ve got two big for my boots.it would be a bitter pill to swollow if i lost.is it natural to be so competitive at 50 ?
  • I would have thought that an average speed is really only relevant in a race situation, not a sportive, a race. Where you pin your number to your jersey, not your bike. Not unless you need to have a better average speed than your peers purely for hypothetical willy waving reasons.

IMO, having a better than average speed, doesn't automatically make you a better rider ;)
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928
    Enter some time trials. Take your pick ... 10-mile, 25, 50, 100, 24-hour. Then you'll know.
  • I would have thought that an average speed is really only relevant in a race situation, not a sportive, a race. Where you pin your number to your jersey, not your bike. Not unless you need to have a better average speed than your peers purely for hypothetical willy waving reasons.

IMO, having a better than average speed, doesn't automatically make you a better rider ;)
    i agree maybe i need to work on the willy waving
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Use Strava to search for a few segments that are actually road race circuits.. eg
    look for Bashall Eaves or Swynnerton RR... have a look at a 'lap' and weep at the some of the best lap times .. Kermesse style circuits that cause plenty hurty.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    i think i just want to see how i would do against other riders ,same day same conditions no excuses,

Join a club then, you'll soon find out. Go out with their slowest group first though...

I'm 57 and get overtaken all the time. Often by my 25 year old son who thinks it's hilarious. It's especially annoying on sportives, so I'm not doing any more. I'm back to ambling around on my own which I much prefer...
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    is it natural to be so competitive at 50 ?
    If you wish to be competitive then as others have said then you should have a go at competing, join a club and enter a time-trial

With respect to age it's as subjective as what a good average speed is. I'm knocking on 50 and couldn't give a toss if someone rides past me. I was competative when I raced but have not done so for a number of years so I just ride at what ever pace I feel like. Thinking about it useless I was racing I didn't care if anyone overtook me twenty years ago.
  • whoof wrote:
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    is it natural to be so competitive at 50 ?
    If you wish to be competitive then as others have said then you should have a go at competing, join a club and enter a time-trial

With respect to age it's as subjective as what a good average speed is. I'm knocking on 50 and couldn't give a toss if someone rides past me. I was competative when I raced but have not done so for a number of years so I just ride at what ever pace I feel like. Thinking about it useless I was racing I didn't care if anyone overtook me twenty years ago.
    might do me good to join a club to put me in my place. i live in leicester and actually emailed a riding club back in march but didn"t get a reply so put me off a bit.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    whoof wrote:
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    i live in leicester and actually emailed a riding club back in march but didn"t get a reply so put me off a bit.

If they can't be bothered to reply find another one. There looks to be 7 clubs within 2 miles of Leicester centre.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfi ... ide-club=0
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    I would have thought that an average speed is really only relevant in a race situation, not a sportive, a race. Where you pin your number to your jersey, not your bike. Not unless you need to have a better average speed than your peers purely for hypothetical willy waving reasons.

i agree maybe i need to work on the willy waving

You should get one of those pumps.
  • Elijah2010 wrote:
    might do me good to join a club to put me in my place. i live in leicester and actually emailed a riding club back in march but didn"t get a reply so put me off a bit.

Woooaaahhhh, I live in Barlestone which in theory is just on the outskirts but I was born and bred in Leicester so I am local to you. I am a member of Leicester Forest CC. They have 2 rides on a Saturday, one faster than the other and on Sunday they have the social ride which is more sedate. They join up at The Bulls Head on the A47.

Details of both days can be found here.....

http://www.leicesterforest.org.uk/clubride.html

And they do time trials on Thursdays around Six Hills in summer.