Cold Feet?

redbikejohn
redbikejohn Posts: 160
edited December 2014 in Commuting chat
Leaving work last night at 10pm for the 25 mile ride home it was at zero deg and no doubt it was dipping into the minus zone once outside london. ok it was cold and i need to dig out some warmer gloves but my feet were like blocks of ice. i had socks on, some waterproof pullover socks, shoes and then (fairly old) overshoe covers but they were cold in no time at all.........how does everyone else keep tootsies warm?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I was wondering the same - my ride is 10 miles so I've hardly the right to whinge, but that's plenty long enough to get thinking...

How about electric insoles?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/volcanic-heat-heated-insoles-uk-6-12-a07ln
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Proper winter shoes. On the basis that I keep using a pair of shoes until they wear out, and that I won't be wearing out my Summer shoes while I'm wearing my Winter ones (or vice-versa), the long-term cost of this is zero.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I was surprised how warm these socks were
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-12cm-thermo ... 5360492549
  • I suppose I could look at new shoes - my shimano tato shoes refuse to die though!
  • I suppose I could look at new shoes - my shimano tato shoes refuse to die though!

How well ventilated are they? my commute shoes are MTB/commute type with minimal venting, and thus far haven't been cold or felt cold air whooshing though!
  • I use normal shoes... a pair of winter socks from Planet X (5 quid for 3 pair, they are a mix of wool and synthetic) and a neoprene toe cover (craft, probably less than a tenner). It works pretty well down to close to freezing. i had full on neoprene overshoes in the past, but they were not any better than the simple toe covers
    left the forum March 2023
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Leaving work last night at 10pm for the 25 mile ride home it was at zero deg and no doubt it was dipping into the minus zone once outside london. ok it was cold and i need to dig out some warmer gloves but my feet were like blocks of ice. i had socks on, some waterproof pullover socks, shoes and then (fairly old) overshoe covers but they were cold in no time at all.........how does everyone else keep tootsies warm?

Wearing two pairs of socks could be making matters worse. If it's a bit tight getting all that in your shoes then you'll be restricting blood flow slightly and that's going to lead to cold feet. If I keep my core warm then everything else stays warm.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Normal shoes, Defeet Woolie Boolies and Planet X windproof overshoes. Great combination for toastie toes!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I dont suffer from cold feet especially but I bought a pair of goretex boots (Shimano MW81) for winter use, for the rain mainly though I've been using them for the cold weather recently too with just normal socks. They've been great and a lot less faff than overshoe covers which I found really dont let you breath in higher temps.

Anyway...I got them for around £100 in the sale and possibly with a discount code from chain reaction (actually got my family to buy them as my xmas present :) ) so not cheap but they're meant to last. Pair with a pair of warm or waterproof socks (sealskinz?) for really cold/wet weather and you should be fine.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I use normal shoes... a pair of winter socks from Planet X (5 quid for 3 pair, they are a mix of wool and synthetic) and a neoprene toe cover (craft, probably less than a tenner). It works pretty well down to close to freezing. i had full on neoprene overshoes in the past, but they were not any better than the simple toe covers

That's what I've been wearing for the last couple of days. Temperature was just below freezing (Garmin read between -0.3 and -0.7) for 1.5 hours yesterday morning. Toes were cold and a stung a bit in the shower, but no worse than that. Any lower temperature would have me wanting more protection.
  • Best way to keep your feet warm is to make sure that you have enough clothing on the rest of your body.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    If you have particulary good circulation, the Best way to keep your feet warm is to make sure that you have enough clothing on the rest of your body.

FTFY
  • Cut to shape plastic bag between shoe and overshoes - esp around the toe area. Cheap and nasty but helps.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Don't know what your shoes are like but I have laces with a hook and loop over strap. When it is colder I tried a warm hiking sock inside my sealskinz socks. I made sure I loosened the laces down to the toe and left them slightly looser than normal. It worked and my feet were toasty all trip when compared to how cold they were with the same sock combo on but without the looser lacing/strap.

I also find that gaps and extremities are a problem with keeping warm. I know from other activities that either removing gaps or blocking them off with something really makes a big impact on staying warm. Things like a buff on your neck to seal the gap or around your forehead under your helmet. Or tucking trousers into socks if commuting in more street wear pants than proper cycling leggings. With hiking in the winter hills I've heard a lot of recommendations for wristies due to the same principle (wristies are like mitts without any finger bits at all but extend from around your thumb and palm up to at least halfway up your forearm. They keep the wrist warm and circulation flowing through the constriction of the wrist, preventing the risk of a gap to the air between glove and jacket).
  • I've known fell runners using plastic bags on two day events (like mountain marathons). they put them between the overnight, dry sock and the fell shoes they had run in during the day. This really works because you only take one pair of shoes in a MM and the plastic keeps the dry socks dry and your body warmth helps to start to dry out the inside of the fell shoes. With cycling I guess they make a really good barrier andbeing on the outside of the shoes means internal sweat is less of an issue - would only wet out the outside of the shoe if you are seriously overheat = unlikely. But wouldn't a waterproof overshoe make it redundant?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Prendas winter socks and overshoes are cheap and do a great job. Useless in the wet though.

I purchased a pair of Castelli Estremo's to use this winter but not needed them yet.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Northwave GTX winter boots plus DaFeet socks = warm toes even at sub zero, and I get cold hands and feet easily. Proper winter shoes are definitely the way forwards.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • going to ask santa for some winter shoes :)

thought about:
    1. the shimano MW81 - some bad reviews online though.
    2. Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX Boots 2015 - not bad but some poor reviews again
    3. Northwave Celsius GTX Boots 2015 - all 40 reviews good
    4. Shimano MT91 MTB SPD Boots 2015 - all good reviews too but looks a bit too chunky

local bike shop has zero winter shoes in stock - said they only sold a couple of pairs in last few years (well duh you dont stock any) so looks like chainreaction it is then. my old shimano shoes are 45 so i suppose i'll go for 46 or 47 but worried about lenght as i have wide but not too long feet. normally a 10 but 11 in merrels
  • 1. the shimano MW81 - some bad reviews online though.
    2. Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX Boots 2015 - not bad but some poor reviews again
    4. Shimano MT91 MTB SPD Boots 2015 - all good reviews too but looks a bit too chunky

local bike shop has zero winter shoes in stock - said they only sold a couple of pairs in last few years (well duh you dont stock any) so looks like chainreaction it is then. my old shimano shoes are 45 so i suppose i'll go for 46 or 47 but worried about lenght as i have wide but not too long feet. normally a 10 but 11 in merrels

You shouldn't have to upsize with the Northwaves (at least I didn't with the 2012 Celsius GTX) and I've also got pretty wide feet. I've been very happy with mine. They've kept my feet lovely any warm of the past 2 winters and they are also reasonably waterproof apart from in extreme wet conditions when the water gets in around the ankle although they still keep your feet warm even then. The only downside in that scenario is they do take a while to dry if you do manage to get them wet inside.

Mike
  • Assoss winter socks. Sheepskin insoles. Gripgrab Arctic overshoes. :oops:

I do run cold though.
  • some companies - just can't understand em.......

so i decided on the Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX Boots 2015. was going to order them from chain reaction website but wasn't too sure on size. had a quick look and gave the local evans bike shop a ring. none in stock so i asked if they could get them in (yes). asked what the sizing was like - could you get both a 45 and 46 in for me to try on (yes again). cool, then he says "we can refund you for the one you dont take" oh hang on a minute you mean i have to pay for both just to try them on? yep. ok don't bother i can do that online then.
    its not like i'm asking them to get them from the supplier as i can see online they have them at the warehouse. might be a faff doing it online (if they need returning) but i'll rather do that now.
  • diadora x trail 2 MTB shoes
    BBB Heavy Duty OSS Overshoes
    Embers Merino wool socks

Not too tight on the shoes, and put on the radiators overnight (we leave our heating on constantly at 15 degrees) for the morning. I also make sure all gaps are covered at wrist and neck. Still my commute is only 12.5 miles, and can still take 3 miles to get nice and warm. Rest of my outer commuting gear is Aldi stuff - been using it for over a year and it still works.

A big shout for Embers tho - I get my dad who lives in Belper to get kit when on sale at their (tiny) shop.
  • 2. Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX Boots 2015 - not bad but some poor reviews again

The only difference is 2 have fleece lining, 3 don't.

I've used no.2 for two winters and I highly recommend them, they are superb and beat the faff of overshoes especially not having to worry about wrecking them when you put a foot down or walk.

Good for subzero with Woolie Boolie socks, and pretty much waterproof (the caveat is the big hole in the top where your foot goes in!).

For deep winter use make sure you get a size that gives your toes wiggle room. My usual shoes are 42 and I got a 43 in the Northwave boots.
  • Thanks for all replies - I've been informed that Santa is bring me some Arctic ones for Xmas :D
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    They are great, you won't regret them, I have been using a pair for a few weeks now and they have been great.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    They are great, you won't regret them, I have been using a pair for a few weeks now and they have been great.

Good to hear, mine are at the LBS and I'll pick them up tomorrow but apparently I can't have them properly until Xmas day! I'm 42 FFS!
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    The Rover wrote:
    Good to hear, mine are at the LBS and I'll pick them up tomorrow but apparently I can't have them properly until Xmas day! I'm 42 FFS!

If you're not careful, Santa will put you on his naughty list, and you won't get anything at all… :lol:
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • There's a chap at work who wraps the toe of his shoes in foil before putting on his Castelli overshoes. However I've just invested in some VeloToze overshoes: Completely waterproof - apart from the cleat hole of course! Unsure how warm it'll be but I can't imagine they'll be too wet!

JC
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    I wear these which seem to do the job. They're neoprene and keep my feet warm. Best overshoes I've had so far.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    I'm in the same situation as the OP.
    Yesterday it was 8 deg and I had hiking socks, spesh shoes and neoprene overshoes. Feet were completely numb! Like the sound of the heated insoles!