CRAMPS!!! Help

dandelyon
dandelyon Posts: 145
Hello,
I was used to 80/100 miles sportives. I had a nearly 3 years break, but stil MTB and commuting to work, so still cycling. Last week I did an easy medium 60 miles and the week before a 55 miles pre sportive ride.
On both rides I developed both and whole legs cramps. Had to ease up on the pedal to control the painful threat.
So annoying and disappointing !
No habits changed nor diet any different.
So my question is WHY am I now subject to these cramps after about 3/4 of the ride?. Also, in both occasions I ingested a " CLIFF Shot Double expresso caffeine Gel" ...Could that technically be the potential reason?
Thanks for your welcomed pro knowledge and helpful advice
Cheers

Dan

Comments

• You had a 3 year break from cycling and wonder why you get leg cramps when you dive straight in with long rides?

Nobody on the face of the earth knows what actually causes cramps. From personal experience I've tried every product and piece of snake oil around to try and stop them but for me absolutely nothing worked, except for one thing - training adequately for the level of riding/racing I was doing.

It's fair to say I wouldn't be able to go and ride 250 miles tomorrow after 3 months barely touching a bike without getting cramp. It's also fair to say a few months back I could happily have done that distance without getting cramp because my fitness was sufficient to be doing that sorta thang. Knowwhatimean?
  • I find Zero electrolyte tabs work to help me stave off cramp. Don't know why they work but they do.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    Magnesium depletion is arrantly a cause of cramps and make sure you drink plenty of water with maybe very weak squash thrown in to make it slightly isotonic
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Ever since I started taking magnesium supplements I rarely get cramps. Worth a try, and get the citrate variety.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    It can be many things or a combination.. The obvious ones are to make sure you are properly hydrated and ideally have something with a bit of salt and sugar in or even better essential hydration minerals such as those found in supplements. Looking after your muscles helps too, properly warm up and cool down and make sure you stretch.
  • Thank you guys for all your replies.
    Cheers