Ultegra Di2 BIG rear derailler issues, riding to Ghent!

2»

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Rob hasn't got access to his bike so we'll never know what the issue was. Somebody please lock the thread so they can put their handbags away.

Note to self: however much you're tempted, in future don't click on any threads about helmets, Di2, frame material, chainset choice, cadence, strength training for cyclists, cheap lights, expensive lights, red lights, Rapha, Assos, nutrition for longer rides, weight loss, white vans, anything involving video footage, Campag / Shimano / SRAM, bar tape, saddles, pedal / cleat choice, waterproofs, gloves, socks, interval training, tyre choice, tubeless technology, repairing vs discarding innertubes, bibshorts, baselayers especially involving merino wool, chamois cream, base miles, turbo training, frame sizing / geometry / bike fitting in general and KOPS in particular, carbon bars, torque wrenches, press-fit BBs in general and BB30 in particular, measuring chain wear, chain cleaning, Garmin / Bryton / iPhone, wheels and especially the factory vs handbuilt discussion, weight weenies, Strava or doping.

I'm quite enjoying Guess the object over in Cake Stop.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    keef66 wrote:
    Rob hasn't got access to his bike so we'll never know what the issue was. Somebody please lock the thread so they can put their handbags away.

Note to self: however much you're tempted, in future don't click on any threads about helmets, Di2, frame material, chainset choice, cadence, strength training for cyclists, cheap lights, expensive lights, red lights, Rapha, Assos, nutrition for longer rides, weight loss, white vans, anything involving video footage, Campag / Shimano / SRAM, bar tape, saddles, pedal / cleat choice, waterproofs, gloves, socks, interval training, tyre choice, tubeless technology, repairing vs discarding innertubes, bibshorts, baselayers especially involving merino wool, chamois cream, base miles, turbo training, frame sizing / geometry / bike fitting in general and KOPS in particular, carbon bars, torque wrenches, press-fit BBs in general and BB30 in particular, measuring chain wear, chain cleaning, Garmin / Bryton / iPhone, wheels and especially the factory vs handbuilt discussion, weight weenies, Strava or doping.

Lol...nice one! :D:D:D
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    keef66 wrote:
    Note to self: however much you're tempted, in future don't click on any threads about ... a whole load of stuff.
    Are you still ok with 'discussions' about:
      Chain lube - GT85? Workshop tools - Park or something else? Seat packs - yay or nay? Which?

:)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    keef66 wrote:
    I was very disappointed when I wandered over there to find nothing had changed recently and I still don't know what it is.
    I hope this thread doesn't get locked because I'm curious to know what the problem is. Not for any love or hate of Di2, just plain old curiosity. Unfortunately if we ever find out what the cause was the whole row will probably kick off again with one side or the other saying told you so.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    No row as far as I'm concerned, however it seems that if you don't agree with the person that shouts the loudest then you're a 'muppet' who can't afford the latest tech.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    keef66 wrote:

That's a good approach and works for me quite well these days, except for ignoring the Di2 threads. Botheration... :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I hope this thread doesn't get locked because I'm curious to know what the problem is. Not for any love or hate of Di2, just plain old curiosity. Unfortunately if we ever find out what the cause was the whole row will probably kick off again with one side or the other saying told you so.
    From experience, and discussions with real people, the main issues are:

Batteries aren't that robust and can succumb to extended exposure to cold

The waterproof seal where the cable enters a device (FD, RD etc) isn't waterproof if the plug doesn't properly latch into the socket. The latching mechanism isn't overly robust, esp if grit or sand gets in when trying to reseat it. Best to only do that in a clean environment, not in a farmers gateway or on a dual c/way in a downpour.

Knock on effect of that is that the connectors can corrode if road water etc gets onto them and isn't cleaned. So occasionally unplug things, eyeball them and clean them. Lots of electrical cleaning stuff is readily available in places like Maplins.

Like any other electro-mechanical device, things can break. I know of two RDs that have apparently failed, based on the system working correctly again after their replacement. Maybe RDs are not well built, who knows?

If all of that makes Di2 out to be flimsy and unsuitable for northern European countries, you're welcome to think that. These are things that can go wrong and have done to my certain knowledge, but equally there are countless users out there who are quite happy with them and use them in all conditions. I do. There are also countless riders who wouldn't dream of taking their nice mechanical-gs bike out in the winter let alone one fitted with advanced electronics.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Me-109 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Note to self: however much you're tempted, in future don't click on any threads about ... a whole load of stuff.
    Are you still ok with 'discussions' about:
      Chain lube - GT85? Workshop tools - Park or something else? Seat packs - yay or nay? Which?

:)

You're right; I overlooked the perennial favourites of:
    WD40 - any applications in cycle maintenance?
    and how much / how little should I take on a ride and where / how to carry it? Seat packs are / are not the work of the devil.

I should also probably avoid anything related to the Cycle to Work schemes and the like. My employer flatly refuses to entertain it, so I tire of reading about those whose schemes apparently allow them what is effectively a 40% discount and an interest free loan to buy deep section carbon wheels. At my expense. :evil:
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Could everyone please put their handbags away and answer the OP's question

Buy Campagnolo

There now the thread can be locked :wink:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Ha - I love these threads. I must start taking a list of those people that don't like progress so that, in some perverse homage to the Cultural Revolution, they can all be lined up against a wall and shot :wink:

Top of my list are those people that said tablets (iPads and the like) were a fad and "useless" :roll:
    Next would be the anti disc brake crew (I might reserve some "cruel and unusual" punishment for them :wink: )
    Then those that think electronic shifting is wrong - mass, unmarked graves for you lot :wink:

Nothing should stand in the way of progress - not even Roadies :twisted: (<- Tony's Xmas card)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Just wait until wireless electronic shifting arrives in the not too distant future. Then we'll have a whole new level of debate on shifting.
  • Whilst I like the idea of wireless, each item that isn't cinnected by a wire will need a battery. Given that it's all connected by being bolted to carbon/metal anyway, I don't yet see much of an advantage. If you put the shifters into mitts or something remote, then it starts to make some sense to strip out the wires
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited December 2014
    Whilst I like the idea of wireless, each item that isn't cinnected by a wire will need a battery. Given that it's all connected by being bolted to carbon/metal anyway, I don't yet see much of an advantage. If you put the shifters into mitts or something remote, then it starts to make some sense to strip out the wires

I could see the benefit of perhaps the shifters themselves being wireless with the remaining components connected via wires to a battery. The junction box up front is probably the 'messiest' part of the system.
  • Agreed - part of the problem is still that components are designed to allow for gear cables with long sweeping radii. Di2 wires could be pretty much run totally internally or very discretely with bars and stems that were designed for it. Same goes for hydraulics. I think bikes of the future could look much much cleaner.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    CiB wrote:
    Has it not occurred that if you did buy it you'd quite likely have looked into it, would have - as a minimum - read the user guide...

That's me out.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]