Ultegra Di2 BIG rear derailler issues, riding to Ghent!

robthehungrymonkey
robthehungrymonkey Posts: 616
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I've got a big issue with my Ultegra (10sp) rear derailleur. Yesterday, I had a horrible ride through some really bad weather down to my Mum's and tonight I'll be getting the Ferry and riding to Ghent first thing in the morning.

I thought the rear derailleur was not shifting ideally yesterday so have just gone to adjust it slightly. Now it wont shift down the cog. I've no idea why. The front is working perfectly, the rear shifted up the cog fine and is just stuck there. The downshift button on the shifters is working when used to check the battery level.

I'm really confused and desperate, help!
http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Have you knocked it and disengaged the crash protection? Reset it with the right button press sequence. I don't recall it but it'll be on Google.

Or remove the connectors & dry them out thoroughly, checking for any water & foreign bodies ingress. Despite claims that they're waterproof they're not infallible and if it's coinciding with a bad weather ride that may be a pointer to it.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Hi,

I've got a big issue with my Ultegra (10sp) rear derailleur. Yesterday, I had a horrible ride through some really bad weather down to my Mum's and tonight I'll be getting the Ferry and riding to Ghent first thing in the morning.

I thought the rear derailleur was not shifting ideally yesterday so have just gone to adjust it slightly. Now it wont shift down the cog. I've no idea why. The front is working perfectly, the rear shifted up the cog fine and is just stuck there. The downshift button on the shifters is working when used to check the battery level.

1-Gent in Belgium? is Gent
    2-Ditch the junk and buy a cable.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Keezx wrote:
    Hi,

1-Gent in Belgium? is Gent
    2-Ditch the junk and buy a cable.

1) It may be Gent to you but it's Ghent to Google

2) How to be an unhelpful a**e
  • Did you get it sorted?
  • Are the connections to the RD OK? You've checked the shifter. Good luck with it. Despite the daft comment above, I've found Di2 utterly reliable for 3 years on 2 bikes - I only wish the cable systems on my other bikes were half as reliable.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Are the connections to the RD OK? You've checked the shifter. Good luck with it. Despite the daft comment above, I've found Di2 utterly reliable for 3 years on 2 bikes - I only wish the cable systems on my other bikes were half as reliable.

Same here.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Are the connections to the RD OK? You've checked the shifter. Good luck with it. Despite the daft comment above, I've found Di2 utterly reliable for 3 years on 2 bikes - I only wish the cable systems on my other bikes were half as reliable.

Same here.

Same here. We ditched cable gears a couple of years ago. Far too unreliable.

This sounds like a classic crash protection issue. Press and hold the button on the display unit for 5 seconds. Then press the shift buttons to move up and down. This will re-engage the RD, if it has gone into crash protection mode.

I have done many rides in pretty atrocious conditions. My Di2 has never missed a beat.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help. I didn't get it sorted, and had to drive to Ghent (in the same way I say Spain, not Espana ;0 ). A bit gutted not to ride, but it was an awesome trip still. If you like beer and cycling i'd thoroughly recommend it!

I got back last night, and still have the problem, so all of your (very helpful) replies are still very much appreciated. There was no crash and it was working when I first got it up on the bench. I'll look into all the reset stuff etc.
  • Give the pivots a good clean - the motor won't force a change so a small amount up of dirt build up can stop the change. Spray with WD40, wipe off and maybe give a blast with an air duster to clean it out. Lube with light spray and it should be OK.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Another small thing to check - if the mech is stuck in the biggest cog, try removing the rear wheel and see if the mech shifts. I've managed to get my mech stuck in the biggest cog mostly due to a mis-alignment issue.

Also - if you DO take the wheel out and push the rear shifter button - up or down - can you physically feel the mech try to move (either way)?

Last thing I can think of - is to make sure the cable from the rear mech hasn't come loose from the B-junction box (the little rectangular 4-port box that is usually int he BB area.
  • Also, you could try rigging it up to a Di2 Etube box and see if it diagnosis any problems.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Threads like this make me glad I still use mechanical.
  • Pokerface
    Flasher wrote:

Yeah. 'Cause nothing ever goes wrong with mechanical.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

I think the fact this appears to be the first time this problem has happened on the internet it would suggest it's actually pretty reliable.
  • flasher
    Pokerface wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

Of course it does, but generally you can see the issue, and fix it with a allen key.

All this pressing a certain sequencing of buttons or rigging it up to a Di2 Etube box (whatever that is) to get it working just confuses me completely, I'm sure it'd be great if I had a 21 year old IT grad in a team car following me around, but sadly I only have a multitool in my back pocket.
  • CiB
    Flasher wrote:
    All this pressing a certain sequencing of buttons or rigging it up to a Di2 Etube box (whatever that is) to get it working just confuses me completely, I'm sure it'd be great if I had a 21 year old IT grad in a team car following me around, but sadly I only have a multitool in my back pocket.
    Has it not occurred that if you did buy it you'd quite likely have looked into it, would have - as a minimum - read the user guide and pretty rapidly understood how to use Di2 and what the etube stuff does? You'd also know the button press sequence to reset the crash override, or how to re-index the gears should you need to whilst bowling down the road at a fair pace. I do know it actually but know from experience that stating on the internet which buttons to push is absolutely bound to elicit a response along the lines of "yeah, but for the Dura Ace Series IIA it's different so that don't work do it"...

And tbh, if you have to claim that a bit of s/w requires a 21 y-o techie to follow you round, your argument is a bit ropey to say the least. :)
  • flasher
    CiB wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    Has it not occurred that if you did buy it you'd quite likely have looked into it, would have - as a minimum - read the user guide and pretty rapidly understood how to use Di2 and what the etube stuff does? You'd also know the button press sequence to reset the crash override, or how to re-index the gears should you need to whilst bowling down the road at a fair pace. I do know it actually but know from experience that stating on the internet which buttons to push is absolutely bound to elicit a response along the lines of "yeah, but for the Dura Ace Series IIA it's different so that don't work do it"...

And tbh, if you have to claim that a bit of s/w requires a 21 y-o techie to follow you round, your argument is a bit ropey to say the least. :)

Didn't seem to work for the OP now did it!
  • CiB
    OP had an unusual problem. Sh!t happens occasionally, could just as easily have been a chain stay crack, split link fail, rim crack, seat post fail. Whatever. Just because someone suffers a serious failure doesn't make the underlying technology unworkable.

You carry on. Stick to your mechanical groupo and enjoy it. We'll carry on enjoying the fun of a Di2 set. If you really want to count the failure rate feel free, but I'm not that bothered. When it works it's fantastic. The odd failure is a bit of a bind when it happens, but the day after, it's history. On both occasions. I can live with that, just like I can live with punctures, the ridiculous BMC seat post clamp failing occasionally, and the chain breaking that time. Shrug, phone t'wife for a lift home; live another day. Loads of fun & enjoyment in return for the odd fail. Who cares, really?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Can't we all just live and let live?

I prefer mechanical-. Other people prefer electronic shifting. No worries.

Some of these threads end up akin to the helmet debate... fruitless!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I suspect if the lectronic stuff was so ropey the pros wouldn't use it.

(cue somebody posting a link to Wiggo auto-parking his stricken Pinarello)

I'd love an electronic groupset that self-trims the front mech and can re-index itself on the move, sadly I can't afford one :(
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    keef66 wrote:

I'd love an electronic groupset that self-trims the front mech and can re-index itself on the move, sadly I can't afford one :(

Pros don't get much choice. Their teams are paid to use certain stuff, or given it free in order to test it or provide publicity, so wwther or not a Pro uses something is no measure of its efficacy. Some pros have really hated the frames they've ridden. That said, if someone want to have electric shifting, then good for them. I don't, yet.
  • rafletcher wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Pros don't get much choice. Their teams are paid to use certain stuff, or given it free in order to test it or provide publicity, so wwther or not a Pro uses something is no measure of its efficacy. Some pros have really hated the frames they've ridden. That said, if someone want to have electric shifting, then good for them. I don't, yet.

Yada yada yada.

Fabian Cancellara chooses to stick with mechanical, the rest of the team go Di2 I believe.... Anyway...

Despite my current issues with Di2 (I don't actually have the bike where I am, so can't try and solve the problem atm - but am very grateful for replies and have noted down the suggestions) I am definitely going to stick with electronic, money allowing. It changes how I use my bike when i'm on it and when you've gone out too far and you forgot food and trudging those last ten miles home, there's something about the ease that is just better. When I first got it it took me a while to get used to the (lack of) "feel", and can understand why someone just jumping on a Di2 bike wouldn't immediately love it. But you get used to that, and I much prefer it now.

Apologies, i've now contributed to the bloody "debate". :oops:
  • rafletcher wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Yada yada yada.

Fabian Cancellara chooses to stick with mechanical, the rest of the team go Di2 I believe.... Anyway...

Despite my current issues with Di2 (I don't actually have the bike where I am, so can't try and solve the problem atm - but am very grateful for replies and have noted down the suggestions) I am definitely going to stick with electronic, money allowing. It changes how I use my bike when i'm on it and when you've gone out too far and you forgot food and trudging those last ten miles home, there's something about the ease that is just better. When I first got it it took me a while to get used to the (lack of) "feel", and can understand why someone just jumping on a Di2 bike wouldn't immediately love it. But you get used to that, and I much prefer it now.

Apologies, i've now contributed to the bloody "debate". :oops:

No need to apologise just because 1 muppet doesn't like electronic gearing. You'll always get those people who don't like change so defend their purchase. You need 2 hands to count how many times my mates have rung me about problems with their mechanical setups and 1 finger how many times i've rung them about my Di2. Enough said.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    No need to apologise just because 1 muppet doesn't like electronic gearing. You'll always get those people who don't like change so defend their purchase. You need 2 hands to count how many times my mates have rung me about problems with their mechanical setups and 1 finger how many times i've rung them about my Di2. Enough said.

I just don't why the pro Di2 brigade are so vocal and border line abusive with their praise for Di2? and anyone who doesn't agree with them, are apparently "muppets" ?

Considering the amount of money Campag, SRAM and Shimano invest into gears of both varieties, they obvious see a future for mechanical and electronic and long may that be the case, if the advantages were so clear cut, as say in the move from V brakes to Hydraulic Disc in MTB ing, they d not continue with advancing mechanical would they?
  • Pokerface
    mamba80 wrote:

I just don't why the pro Di2 brigade are so vocal and border line abusive with their praise for Di2? and anyone who doesn't agree with them, are apparently "muppets" ?

Considering the amount of money Campag, SRAM and Shimano invest into gears of both varieties, they obvious see a future for mechanical and electronic and long may that be the case, if the advantages were so clear cut, as say in the move from V brakes to Hydraulic Disc in MTB ing, they d not continue with advancing mechanical would they?

Mechanical is cheaper. So it will continue to have a place for a long time.

And those who don't like electronic shifting are not 'muppets' - it's the ones that dismiss it out of hand due to minor issues that others have, without ever having tried it themselves that are the ones stirring shoot up.

It's a bit like before - when people would call Shimano or Campag crap without ever having ridden it. It just winds the end user up, who actually uses the product and can attest to how good/bad it is from an informed point of view.

And the fact that so many people jump in to defend electronic shifting is a testament to how good it really is!
  • Pokerface
    P.S. I still use mechanical on my track bike :)
  • flasher

There's only one 'muppet' in this thread defending their purchase :lol:

FWIW. I had a Di2 rental bike this summer and it worked fine, I didn't feel it was a game changer and certainly not worth the premium price difference.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Pokerface wrote:
    P.S. I still use mechanical on my track bike :)

you sound like a bit of luddite :lol:

At the top end, I do think that mechanical shifting will be here for a long time and its not the cost (which will be applicable at the low end) but that an awful lot of people like the idea of a cable and mechanical means of changing gear, not to mention the ease or perception of easier fault finding/mtce and despite having used Di2 I am one of these :D
  • Flasher wrote:

There's only one 'muppet' in this thread defending their purchase :lol:

FWIW. I had a Di2 rental bike this summer and it worked fine, I didn't feel it was a game changer and certainly not worth the premium price difference.

Says the 'muppet' who wouldnt say it to my face. You keyboard warrior you, im sooooo scared!

For your information im not defending my purchase, theres nothing to defend, its far superior to mechanical and everyone who has used it knows that. Theres a reason why its so heavily used in the pro peloton now.
    I actually still use mechanical on my winter bike, ive nothing against it but from the experience which you so lack of Di2 that i have, its heads and tails above mechanical.
    The only reason you dont like it is because you dont earn enough and cant afford it. Theres no reason to get jealous of us who can because you didnt knuckle under in school and ended up in a shjt job.
  • flasher
    I'm guessing English isn't your primary language.