ditching Q rings

cswitch
cswitch Posts: 261
Ive been using Q rings for a couple of years. I remember that when I first used them there seemed to be a benefit, lower heart rate, 'felt' nice...though it was such a long time ago those new sensations are not so clear. However I'm often faffing around with keeping the shifting dialled in and there's always some compromise with the different positions, i.e great on flat / not so good climbing etc so I'm thinking of ditching them (again)

I did swap back to round rings a few months ago but only for 2-3weeks. The legs felt a little flat at high intensities but the round rings did feel nice and solid. I stuck the q rings back on and the lactic acid seemed to be lower and they did feel better. However I'm not sure I really gave the muscles sufficient time to adapt back to the round rings - assuming adaption is required. My question is to anyone who has ditched them and stayed off them...did the higher lactic acid, slight increase in muscle soreness reduce after a few weeks? I'm wondering whether I should give the swap back to round rings another go but give the muscles longer to adapt...and it's certainly a better time of the year to experiment with round rings again.

Cheers to anyone for sharing any experiences of swapping back especially those who stayed back on round rings.

Comments

• I used Qs for about 9 months and then I got a new bike which had rounds and was swapping back and forth.

I found the rounds were better for sprinting and easier to set up so I put rounds on both.

I do think they are good for long seated climbing but you don't win races in the UK doing that. I think you do need the 500 ks of adaption.

I wouldn't go back. I spend a lot of time on rollers so my pedal stoke is pretty good and that helps with the rounds.

I hate chain rub so set up was a big thing for me.