Tannus Solid Tyres - Any experience/comments

124»

Comments

• charliew87 wrote:

Comfort: no perceptible difference. Cobbles felt the same, speed bumps felt the same. Maybe 5% more feedback from debris on the road.

You must have ran some pretty nasty tyres before... :wink:

If the roads are good, they are OK, but I am surprised you don't notice any difference on the cobbles

Aren't Charile's tyres slightly different to the ones you tested Ugo? Or did I read his post wrong?

Yes, mine are the softer compound, should be comfier...
    left the forum March 2023
  • charliew87 wrote:

Comfort: no perceptible difference. Cobbles felt the same, speed bumps felt the same. Maybe 5% more feedback from debris on the road.

You must have ran some pretty nasty tyres before... :wink:

If the roads are good, they are OK, but I am surprised you don't notice any difference on the cobbles

Think I was braced for it to be really bad so was delighted when it felt fairly normal. As I say, will have more robust opinion in a couple of weeks but so far so good.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Promised a more detailed review...So as retribution for thinking I’d never need to spend anything on maintenance ever again my brake cable snapped on the way home on the third use of the new tyres to get me straight back into the repair shop.

Couple of days and £20 worse off I was back on them again.

Main thoughts are
    - Overall really good
    - They do feel a bit slower to get up to speed. Not sure how much of this is perception and how much is reality. My nice bike weighs half as much and is a speed machine so the single speed commuter always feels a bit slower.
    - There’s a little bit more feedback from the road but not to the extent where it is uncomfortable, and on smooth road they are totally smooth. For a 8 mile commute it’s no trouble at all. Maybe for 30 miles + you’d start to notice
    - The grip and handling feels like normal

Speed wise, I’ve had a look at my 6 last commutes on the old pneumatic tyres and the first 6 commutes on the new Tannus tyres…

Average commute on normal tyres: 36 minutes.
    Average commute on Tannus tyres: 37 minutes.

So basically no difference, could just be worse luck at the lights on the new ones.

Would definitely recommend them for anyone commuting on a ss/fixie where changing a rear puncture can take ages and far too many nuts, bolts and spanners than you want to be pissing around with on a cold January morning when you puncture.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • I used some last month on a loan off a friend. Can't say I noticed any difference in ride and living in rural norfolk it is reassuring to know the crappy roads wouldn't leave nursing a flat in the rain. Speed wise Tannus told me they would be 1-2 kph slower than a normal tyre/tube combo but I couldn't tell and speeds were comparable to the same power output with my other wheels.
    With that in mind, I've ordered a pair
  • I now have Tannus tyres on 2 of my bikes.

23c on my Giant Defy advanced 2
    28c on my GT Ali Raw

The 23c's are a little hard to be fair however I've countered this with a Shock absorbing headstem.
    The 28c's are great (should have fitted these on my carbon 50mm wheels on my Giant).

The solid tyres are a little lighter than my original race tyres and inner tubes.
    However I'm also no longer carrying 680g of tools (yes I weighed them).

Don't think of them as rubber tyres, they're not, they're more refined and lighter than you think.

My wife and I have just completed a 140km sportive with them fitted in the weekend and they performed brilliantly, it was nice going passed the 12 or so people who had punctures knowing we never had to worry about that ever again......
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I now have Tannus tyres on 2 of my bikes.

23c on my Giant Defy advanced 2
    28c on my GT Ali Raw

The 23c's are a little hard to be fair however I've countered this with a Shock absorbing headstem.
    The 28c's are great (should have fitted these on my carbon 50mm wheels on my Giant).

The solid tyres are a little lighter than my original race tyres and inner tubes.
    However I'm also no longer carrying 680g of tools (yes I weighed them).

Don't think of them as rubber tyres, they're not, they're more refined and lighter than you think.

My wife and I have just completed a 140km sportive with them fitted in the weekend and they performed brilliantly, it was nice going passed the 12 or so people who had punctures knowing we never had to worry about that ever again......

If you read the earlier posts, my review was based on a pair of 28.... the size doesn't matter in terms of comfort, as they are not pneumatic... I found them tolerable on smooth tarmac, but very harsh on rough tarmac and teeth shattering on gravel roads and cobbles

https://whosatthewheel.com/2014/12/27/z ... lid-tyres/
    left the forum March 2023