Tannus Solid Tyres - Any experience/comments

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If they're good - maybe they'll be making wheels specifically for these tyres then ? You might not need the pins if its specifically designed for it.
  • cougie wrote:
    If they're good - maybe they'll be making wheels specifically for these tyres then ? You might not need the pins if its specifically designed for it.

I would assume the tyre is only the entry product for a range... they have a technology and might end up making money selling something which has no technology at all instead... that's the sad reality of modern consumerism
    left the forum March 2023
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    cougie wrote:
    Dwanes - do you sell them or something ?

No, not at all, I just dont understand the negativity towards them?
  • dwanes wrote:
    cougie wrote:

It's called skepticism... I'm happy to change my mind and unlike those who take a partisan view and refuse to accept them, I am actually going to try them, what more do you want?
  • dwanes wrote:
    cougie wrote:

It's called skepticism... I'm happy to change my mind and unlike those who take a partisan view and refuse to accept them, I am actually going to try them, what more do you want?

post-7024-0-13964100-1369004924.png
  • To be honest I think the fact that this thread has now gone for 4 pages without degenerating in a farce has to be seen as a success
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    ugo.santalucia, How are you getting on with these?
  • Coincidence...

I had a bit of a cold, so I rode them for the first time this morning for 13 miles, a bit of tarmac a bit of frozen off road along the canal path. They are very different from what I expected: I expected slow and dead and they are reasonably fast and quite lively. I have the softer compound, which surprisingly feels a bit harsh... like having 110-120 PSI... you notice it most if you ride over a bump or cobbles... they lack a bit of elasticity there.
    They are light (same as the equivalent tyre + tube), they are quite fast and if you don't mind the fact that once they're on they won't come off without damage, then why not?
    I will ride them all week and write a review on my blog... I will give some tips on which rims are suitable and which ones are not... so keep an eye to the link in the signature
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    That sounds really promising - it could be a game changer.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Since I first posted back in Nov I've been interested to follow the cyclical (excuse the terminology) progress of this thread from the negative doomsayers to the more open minded responders.

Chapeau to Ugo for being prepared to park his initial reticence and at least test the product before condeming it out of hand.

I await his blog review with interest.

They may not be the final answer for all cyclists. However, I wager that there will be a few commuters who would be willing to trade a little bit of comfort/ ride quality for the security of being able to get to and from work without the dreaded p******e devil stranding them in the rain and dark
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    That sounds really promising - it could be a game changer.

Yes and no... I am trying to form a balanced opinion. I think if they want to tackle the road market successfully, they need to ditch the current fitting system, which is very safe but irreversible and adopt a system which can be used with tubeless rims, carbon rims and all the latest paraphernalia the road bike market is coming out with... or of course they can sell their own wheels, but that might be a step too far at this stage.

The main thing is the nanofoam they use is up to the job of replacing a pneumatic tyre for the majority of people out there, so at least the foundations are solid
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Coincidence...

I had a bit of a cold, so I rode them for the first time this morning for 13 miles, a bit of tarmac a bit of frozen off road along the canal path. They are very different from what I expected: I expected slow and dead and they are reasonably fast and quite lively. I have the softer compound, which surprisingly feels a bit harsh... like having 110-120 PSI... you notice it most if you ride over a bump or cobbles... they lack a bit of elasticity there.
    They are light (same as the equivalent tyre + tube), they are quite fast and if you don't mind the fact that once they're on they won't come off without damage, then why not?
    I will ride them all week and write a review on my blog... I will give some tips on which rims are suitable and which ones are not... so keep an eye to the link in the signature
    That sounds considerably more promising than I expected. Nice to hear.
    I look forward to seeing how these and similar products develop.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Surprised weight is comparable to tyre and tubes. By the time you ditch the spare tube, tyre levers and pump might it even be an overall weight saving? Sounds a lot more interesting than I had expected, although in all honesty I don't suffer with punctures that much (he says, cursing himself...)
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Hope you didn't ride into work today BigMat.

Yes agreed with all comments above.

Wouldn't use on my road bikes but for the fixie commuter it seems a no brainer.
  • BigMat wrote:
    Surprised weight is comparable to tyre and tubes. By the time you ditch the spare tube, tyre levers and pump might it even be an overall weight saving?

The thing is their website is under construction so the fact that it isn't a solid rubber tyre but a loop of nanofoam is not stressed as it should. It's basically the same material used as cushion in modern trainers, which are now very light.
    The 28 mm they gave me to test are 430 grams, as advertised and on my scale. They replaced a set of Pasela 32 with inner tubes which come at the same weight, then of course no spares, no pump, no tyre levers make the difference. Not having a need for an ugly saddle bag might be the decider for some, I suppose.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm sure my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre came in about 800gr each.

I did think I'd take my pump and tubes and kit off the bike to make up for the weight increase - but that would be a bit foolhardy....
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Islwyn wrote:
    Hope you didn't ride into work today BigMat.

Yes agreed with all comments above.

Wouldn't use on my road bikes but for the fixie commuter it seems a no brainer.

I may try one on the single speed commuter - but after reading the review of it in the online telegraph, it warns of flatspotting the rear tyre on a fixie. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/r ... tures.html
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:
    Surprised weight is comparable to tyre and tubes. By the time you ditch the spare tube, tyre levers and pump might it even be an overall weight saving?

The thing is their website is under construction so the fact that it isn't a solid rubber tyre but a loop of nanofoam is not stressed as it should. It's basically the same material used as cushion in modern trainers, which are now very light.
    The 28 mm they gave me to test are 430 grams, as advertised and on my scale. They replaced a set of Pasela 32 with inner tubes which come at the same weight, then of course no spares, no pump, no tyre levers make the difference. Not having a need for an ugly saddle bag might be the decider for some, I suppose.

Seems reasonable weight considering. My 23mm commuting tyres and tubes probably weigh 350g, so a 28mm equivalent would likely be about 430g.

Re saddle bag, I stash my kit in a water bottle - would never sully the lines of my bike unless absolutely necessary!
  • Fresh from the press

http://whosatthewheel.com
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Nice review

Is that 10g figure for the air in your pneumatic tyres accurate? :wink: ......and at what pressure?
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    Nice review

Is that 10g figure for the air in your pneumatic tyres accurate? :wink: ......and at what pressure?

Pretty accurate for a 28 mm 700 c tyre at 8 bar
  • Good article Ugo.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Good article Ugo.

Thanks, hope it's helpful
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I have the softer compound, which surprisingly feels a bit harsh... like having 110-120 PSI... you notice it most if you ride over a bump or cobbles...
    That's more or less what you would expect from solid tyres.

With a pneumatic tyre, all of the air in the tyre is compressed, and because the loss of volume is a fairly small fraction of the full tyre volume, the pressure doesn't change much - the tyre is just about as hard when the bump is compressing it past 1/4 height as it is when it starts to be compressed.
    With a solid tyre, on the other hand, only that part of the tyre between the rim and the bump is being compressed, so it's twice as hard once compressed to half height and 4 times as hard when compressed to 1/4 height. Foam tyres are the same.

It's like having a tyre that's 60 psi on a smooth (ish) road, but which instantly inflates to 200 psi when you hit a pothole.
    It's a large part of the reason why previous solid tyres haven't caught on.
  • Just picked up myself some of these for the commute bike, looking forward to giving them a good go over the next week. (Fitted at E1 in Aldgate.)

My 8 mile London commute includes some cobbles, dropping off kerbs and tight turns so should be a decent test.

Interestingly they have one new compound which equates to 100psi and no longer offer the hard/soft compound choice. They reckon the new one is better, not that I can compare.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Good stuff, look forward to hearing of your experiences!
  • They are fine, but they are harsh... very harsh... short distances are OK, but if your commute is 10 miles or over, it will feel like a punishment. I think they are great for Bromptons and such bikes, where fixing a puncture is a royal PITA
  • First commute today, so far really impressed.

Speed: Usually takes 35-40 minutes door to door depending on lights. Today was 38 mins so completely normal on that front. Cruised happily at around 18mph up Millbank which is about usual.

Comfort: no perceptible difference. Cobbles felt the same, speed bumps felt the same. Maybe 5% more feedback from debris on the road.

Handling: again no perceptible difference. Roads were wet this morning and no slips/skids. Possibly a bit slow to pick up speed from stops but could equally be effect of spending a week doing leg presses in the gym leaving them dead.

So far 10/10, will try and post back in a couple of weeks once there's a couple of hundred miles in them.

https://app.strava.com/activities/238667543
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • charliew87 wrote:

Comfort: no perceptible difference. Cobbles felt the same, speed bumps felt the same. Maybe 5% more feedback from debris on the road.

You must have ran some pretty nasty tyres before... :wink:

If the roads are good, they are OK, but I am surprised you don't notice any difference on the cobbles
  • charliew87 wrote:

You must have ran some pretty nasty tyres before... :wink:

If the roads are good, they are OK, but I am surprised you don't notice any difference on the cobbles

Aren't Charile's tyres slightly different to the ones you tested Ugo? Or did I read his post wrong?