Strava-unwarranted kudos from a random?

Comments

• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I can't believe someone is congratulating you on going out cycling and they're being positive. Yet you moan about it.

Could be worse... They could comment that your ride was s*** and you're a terrible cyclist, stick to baking cakes you loser.

Maybe they have a different standard for what is kudos worthy than you do? For example, any cycling in winter is better than no cycling. It doesn't say anywhere there's a milestone to pass before kudos can be awarded like "You can only get 1 kudos point if you win the Tour de France in record time, but no kudos for second place".

Maybe they gave you kudos if you had a KOM on a route they have just done today and they found the seg a hard climb or couldn't beat your time? (Certainly better than a bitchy comment that there must have been a strong tail wind that day and were you drafting behind a bus?)

I don't think any of them mean anything bad about it.

Each to their own, other people probably find what you do is weird.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • There's a lad in York who gets over 1000 Kudos for doing a 5/6 mile commute every day. Just utterly pointless. I only dish it out if it's worthy, epic mileage, bad weather etc.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Bit of an odd one but this still keeps happening. I have my profile set so only people I know can see my rides but I occasionally get kudos from people I've never met, don't know anyone I know and don't live anywhere near me. Any ideas how they can even see the ride?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My threshold for giving kudos is around 50 miles, but I will give kudos for shorter rides especially if its someone who gives me Kudos. Charlie Potatoes and Bobbinogs for example are in my circle, they'll kudos my decent rides so I'll kudos theirs.

There's a chap I follow with a commute of 25 miles each way, I'll kudos that as its a lot of miles in total.

I do get some strangers following me or giving me random kudos, but then I do have my strava profile in the footer here :roll:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yep I get some really random ones, I figure it is most likely to be because I am a member of the 100 Climbs club on Strava (only joined so I could see the Veloviewer thing which puts all your 100 climbs segments together). That club has 4,686 members and club pages have a list of most recent activity by members.

Weirdly despite being a group about UK climbs there's a lot of members from all over the place who don't show much sign of having actually been to the UK...
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    drlodge wrote:
    I do get some strangers following me or giving me random kudos, but then I do have my strava profile in the footer here :roll:

seeing that you pointed it out, I felt the need to give you kudos for that last ride
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited September 2016
    ben@31 wrote:
    Each to their own, other people probably find what you do is weird.

No, it's weird. At least mine are anyway..

The same 2 people give me kudos within 15 minute of EVERY single ride.
    I really hope they've written a script that's doing it automatically.

Saying that, it now seems odd when they don't :lol:
  • drlodge
    fat daddy wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

seeing that you pointed it out, I felt the need to give you kudos for that last ride

Thank you "John" :lol:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Bit of an odd one but this still keeps happening. I have my profile set so only people I know can see my rides but I occasionally get kudos from people I've never met, don't know anyone I know and don't live anywhere near me. Any ideas how they can even see the ride?

Are they finding you via Strava Flybys maybe ? I do love that function.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    strange that this should come up,some guy from f**k knows where has started following me,i havent had any kudos from him nor have i even looked at his profile apart from the bit i seen where he is following 10,000+ people.dunno whats going on there :shock: :shock: :shock:

But he cant follow you unless you approve him??

I have had people in Russia, Australia, USA and Japan giving me kudos for silly little evening spins of less than 30km. I generally ignore them.

Andre Greipel gave me kudos for a 165km ride earlier in the summer 8)
  • bobmcstuff
    Fenix wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Only if they count "flyby" as "being within 5,000 miles". Some of the guys I get kudos off live in Brazil or wherever.
  • fat daddy
    I want to give you kudos for getting kudos of Greipel
  • fat daddy
    most of my Kudos come from people that gave me kudos on zwift .... then went on to give me kudos for 30 mins of yoga and a 3.2 mile trip down the road.

Mind you, if you ever saw me commute you would give me kudos for getting there alive !
  • drlodge
    fat daddy wrote:
    most of my Kudos come from people that gave me kudos on zwift .... then went on to give me kudos for 30 mins of yoga and a 3.2 mile trip down the road.

Mind you, if you ever saw me commute you would give me kudos for getting there alive !

I did consider giving you kudos in return for giving me some, but I couldn't easily see a ride that was worth it :lol: :shock: :lol:
    Find me on Strava
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    You put Yoga and 3 mile rides on Strava? Gotta be on a wind up. Who would do that?!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401
    I just get abuse for not riding far enough! I will eventually venture further than my 10-14k spins. Just got to get used to riding again :)
  • fat daddy
    AK_jnr wrote:
    You put Yoga and 3 mile rides on Strava? Gotta be on a wind up. Who would do that?!

no, the watch put the yoga on strava it uploads everything, then I go on strava and delete workouts that arnt swim/run/cycle .... but as has been said, Kudos seems to come from people with in 15mins of uploading anything

As for the 3 mile ride, hell yeah that goes on strava, why wouldn't I log a "this year KOM" or a "number 2 of all time", just because the ride was under 50miles :?

segments are segments and there are loads in 3 miles to improve on

A 3 mile ride is a damn good training run when its done at 80-90% of your output with the odd full on sprint
  • AK_jnr
    Oh a 3 mile run? I take it back. Ha.
  • Be thankful these people are following you on an internet platform, not sucking your back wheel every week
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 284
    I keep getting kudos off someone called avenish or something no idea who it is.

The subjet of logging yoga and stuff on starva is what drew me in here. Someone on my strava logs everything on there the smallest details, ride to race, race, warm down from race, ride home from race! I m supprised 'walk to shed to get bike' isn't logged pre ride or 'post ride sh1t' isn't uploaded
  • AK_jnr
    Yeah pre race rides, ride to chain gang, ride home from TT logs are ridiculous. Fair enough if you want to log everything but at least set them as private or upload a few days later. Clogs everyones feed up.
  • 3 year old thread, this sh!te still going
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bobmcstuff
    AK_jnr wrote:
    Yeah pre race rides, ride to chain gang, ride home from TT logs are ridiculous. Fair enough if you want to log everything but at least set them as private or upload a few days later. Clogs everyones feed up.
    I usually get more kudos on my 5km round trips to the beer shop than for most of my other rides :D

I originally set them as private for the reasons you mention, because they're pretty pointless really, but they seem more popular than most of my other rides...
  • Paul 8v
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Fenix wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Only if they count "flyby" as "being within 5,000 miles". Some of the guys I get kudos off live in Brazil or wherever.

Yeah, not flybys. Barely even see cars on my ride in to work. Let alone a cyclist!
  • Just found this thread and am reading with avid interest. I don't suffer from receiving or giving random Kudos but there are a couple of points mentioned that caught my attention..

- how do I delay uploads for a later time? Once I 'finish' the ride with the flag symbol, am I able to ride another without having to first upload the previous? How many rides can I 'hold back'?
    - will it not automatically upload as soon as I switch Wifi or data roaming on? How do I instead delay this?

I hadn't realised that people expect Kudos only on exceptional rides and not commutes. I had assumed that they'd put it on to show the world and so would expect a Kudos. They give you one, you give back in return. I have noticed some of the lads locally do log everything, like walking the dog etc. Perhaps they're not aware of the Private setting?

I had wondered why some rides get a Kudos and not others. I think that it's a bit of everything. IE the way it's titled for example or, if you're riding with the kids etc.
  • Paul 8v
    The issue is, people can still see them even when you have your profile set to "invite only" which is a bit weird. Just random people from all over the world with no way of seeing your ride in their feed. Just odd!
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,927
    If they are a member of the same Strava club that you are they can see it from the club page latest activities... they can also see it if you are a "FlyBy".
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • RrogerD wrote:
    how do I delay uploads for a later time?
    If I want to delay my upload I just wouldn't connect my Garmin to sync/upload the ride until I was ready. Once you do connect it will upload all rides not previously uploaded.

On the main subject, I don't see how getting kudos from someone you don't know is a big problem. If your ride is up there online and someone comes across it via Flyby or however, and seems impressed enough to click the kudos button, i.e. give you praise, I can't see how that concerns some people.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Really not bothered with getting or not getting kudos for rides. I'll give it out for good efforts though.

My watch records all my sessions and they go on strava. If I was doing yoga I guess they'd be up there too - easiest way to keep track. Can't see the problem. If people don't like that they can always stop following.

I do love the flyby function and working out just where people you passed were going.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    RrogerD wrote:
    how do I delay uploads for a later time?
    If I want to delay my upload I just wouldn't connect my Garmin to sync/upload the ride until I was ready. Once you do connect it will upload all rides not previously uploaded.

On the main subject, I don't see how getting kudos from someone you don't know is a big problem. If your ride is up there online and someone comes across it via Flyby or however, and seems impressed enough to click the kudos button, i.e. give you praise, I can't see how that concerns some people.

I was going to say privacy, but then if it was that why bother putting it on Strava at all. I dont know, it just bugs me thats all that people do it, they dont know me, I dont know them, it seems a waste of effort.