can you push harder around bends ?

Elijah2010
Elijah2010 Posts: 56
can you push even harder than you think or should you always trust your instincts?

Comments

• Yes you can, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

IMG_1681_zps865d4135.jpg
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    can you push even harder than you think or should you always trust your instincts?

Only you can answer that....
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Honestly, a little pointless in training - especially given the current road conditions.

the only time I do it in training is when on the CX bike, and when you are cornering it tends to be low speed with a soft landing.

In crit races, you will find that you corner much faster than you expect.
    Insert bike here:
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If you plan on racing, do practice fast but smooth cornering. I can really lack confidence to hold my lines which is dangerous in a tight bunch.

For general riding no, especially now the roads are cold and damp, just take it easy. Push too hard and you risk striking a pedal on the ground.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    iPete wrote:
    If you plan on racing, do practice fast but smooth cornering. I can really lack confidence to hold my lines which is dangerous in a tight bunch.

This is great advice - and one thing to add - do it in a group. I cannot stress how important this is - in the lower catagories (i.e. where I race!) a lot of the accidents are simply down to poor line holding.
    Insert bike here:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I spent a fair number of hours over last winter on an outdoor, twisty track to improve that sort of skill (recommended) .....but it still went all tits up, first race when my front wheel washed out on a greasy left hander....#pushing harder#
    Luckily the following riders all managed to ride and avoid.
    Ride appropriate to the conditions.
  • Unless you really need to push, ride within yourself - it leaves you options should you come across the unexpected. I race cars a bit and have a really good idea what a road car will do on a track but I'd never dream of doing the same on the road - there are far too many uncontrolled variables. That's the same on a bike - if you're lucky it will only be road rash.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You can push harder but unlike a mountain bike with big knobbly tyres and disc brakes when a road bike loses grip you have little chance of getting it back.
  • Elijah2010 wrote:

Sounds like you need to MTFU
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles