the correct way to sit on a saddle?

2»

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    i had an issue with constant saddle sores for a few months. i tried a bike fit and jiggled the saddle angle. nothing seemed to work until i simply lowered the saddle a couple of inches and hey presto. i dont look silly and its still comfy. worth a try as it costs sod all
    A couple of inches!!!
    Surely your saddle was ludicrously too high?
    What sort of angle does your knee make now when your leg is at it's most extended position?
    I believe the ideal is considered to be 25-30 degrees off straight. If you're around there now then your saddle must have been absurdly high. If the angle is significantly >30 degrees then you may now be too low.

When I started I had my saddle too high which resulted in rocking side to side (without noticing) and some pain from the saddle on rides over an hour. I went to a LHS for advice on a more comfortable saddle and the guy asked to see me sitting on the bike. He diagnosed my excess saddle height. We dropped it significantly (perhaps 10mm but definitely nowhere near your 2"/50mm figure) and my saddle comfort dramatically improved. I still ran into further problems later when I further increased the distance of my rides and I did end up changing saddle but that's unrelated.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Manc33 wrote:
    I chipped my carbon saddle tonight (bike fell over). :( Sanded the sharp bit and it seems fine again, it only lost a tiny chip. It was the fall where the front wheel turns, then it falls. :roll: I guess its like bread, always lands on the buttered side or on a bike... its drive side.

Its been a very long time since I let a bike fall over like that, it was bikes ago. :oops: I am more bothered about my rear mech now having two tiny scuffs on it. :evil: After all it did cost more than the saddle. :lol:

You might want to check the rear mech alignment before riding. Each time I've dropped a bike expensive side down it bent the mech hanger so the mech was hitting the spokes before I reached the biggest sprockets. :shock:
    Cheaper to replace the hanger now than waiting till you put the mech into the wheel when stomping up a hill. Rear mech plus hanger plus chain plus spokes if you're lucky. New wheel / broken chainstay if not.