Name stickers on bikes

13»

Comments

• dodgy wrote:
    Even worse are the ones with a national flag after their name. Height of wa*kiness.

Haha, my mate has that on his tarmac.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    PBlakeney wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Do you suppose that Wiggins has "Sir Wiggo, Gold medal, World Champion, TdF winner" on his?

No, he has "I wish I was as fast as Froomey" on his... :mrgreen:

Apparently Sky have also put one on the upper part of Froomey's top tube. It says "Try looking up occasionally, then you might not fall off"
    Shouldn't it be put on his stem?

Or perhaps his 'puter should just be set to occasionally flash the message: "Chris - look up, FFS!".

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Do you suppose that Wiggins has "Sir Wiggo, Gold medal, World Champion, TdF winner" on his?

No, he has "I wish I was as fast as Froomey" on his... :mrgreen:

Apparently Sky have also put one on the upper part of Froomey's top tube. It says "Try looking up occasionally, then you might not fall off"
    Shouldn't it be put on his stem?

Or perhaps his 'puter should just be set to occasionally flash the message: "Chris - look up, FFS!".

It's a new version of "chicken" - follow the gps map as you ride at 70kmph
  • dodgy wrote:
    Even worse are the ones with a national flag after their name. Height of wa*kiness.

What's the flag problem? Flandria asks what you want, I went for Union Jack. Should I have asked for Uganda or something?
  • Name and flag on sticker on frame. Sometimes I even ride my Allez with my personalised Sky jersey (surname and flag) just to show the world what a w*nker I am.

Oh wait, f*cks given zero, I have a cracking time whenever I ride my bike...
  • I'm afraid I have name and flag stickers on my winter bike on the seat stays as they wouldn't have fitted elsewhere due to the two tone colours. They have nearly rubbed off after 12 months. I thought they were a good idea at the time but won't rush to get any more.
    Each to their own though. Do what you want and sod the others opinions :-)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    ...and now the BIG question?

If you had a helmet would you have a name sticker on your helmet?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

Is it considered to be boasting if you can fit your name on your helmet?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    PBlakeney wrote:

Not if your name is 'Bob'.

However Lord Martin Sebastian Arthur Tarquin Chalmonderley Scratch-bottom-Smyth-Warner-Bottom-Frarqhuarson would be considered downright cocky. So I didn't bother.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    PBlakeney wrote:

However Lord Martin Sebastian Arthur Tarquin Chalmonderley Scratch-bottom-Smyth-Warner-Bottom-Frarqhuarson would be considered downright cocky. So I didn't bother.
    I thought your name only had 3 letters? :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:

Perhaps if you were upright?
    That sounds about right IMHO.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dodgy wrote:

Specialized, name and flag :shock:
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025

My mum writes my name on the tag inside all my clothes, even my helmet.
    The spelling is getting a bit lax on occasion, now she's in her late 70's though. :roll:
  • Pituophis wrote:

:roll:

Mine used to say Llandudno
    Now it just reads Ludo!!!!!

Has anybody seen my coat?
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Ezy_Rider knows a good place to buy stickers :D
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • pblakeney
    jkorbel wrote:
    I bought mine national flag decals with name here: http://www.bicistickers.com
    That is one more company on my blacklist.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Got them with the Union J on all my bikes, I don't give a sh1t what other people think I like them so that's all that matters.

If you don't like them I am cool with that, personal choice though why I am w@nker is beyond me!

I am yet to have someone walk up and say that to me and mention them/call me as all cyclist I see/meet all share the same passion. I get shouted at on a daily basis by car drivers but that's expected these days.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Rb5_turbo wrote:
    If you don't like them I am cool with that, personal choice though why I am w@nker is beyond me!
    I've often been told all men are that or liars. I can often be one, the other or both.
  • Same argument for names stitched into golf bags. I never did, usually you had one 'unique' club cover over your driver or something that you knew it was your bag among 50 others.

You were the #1 douche in the entire club if you show up to your Sunday round of golf with your name on your bag but couldn't break 90. It was 100% the rule, no exceptions. Only pros and former pros have names on bags, and former pros only on the last bag you used as a pro.

For bikes? I can give one practical reason. There's a local fundraiser 100 mile ride coming up. Hundreds of riders. At the finish they shuttle the riders and bikes separate back. Might aid in sorting out names to equipment. Pretty sure this ride doesn't do tags on the seat tubes.

Outside of that? I have no reason to get a sticker with my name on it.

Since a bike is a vehicle, I equate the whole "stickers" thing to this, if it isn't OEM and you don't ride a racer then it doesn't belong:
    43209d1159402150-horrible-ricer-ricer.jpg
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    PBlakeney wrote:
    jkorbel wrote:
    You mean those that are too tight to pay for advertising so make out they are satisfied customers with all 7 of their posts but don't contribute anything constructive to a forum? That kind of behaviour justifies name calling rather more than having a sticker with a flag on it would.
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    jkorbel wrote:
    You mean those that are too tight to pay for advertising so make out they are satisfied customers with all 7 of their posts but don't contribute anything constructive to a forum? That kind of behaviour justifies name calling rather more than having a sticker with a flag on it would.
    Precisely.
    Knobs, and wankers.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Rule #96. It's your bike and your money, do what you like!!

However personally speaking, I think that they look completely wanky
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Put someone else's name on it. I put "Clint Eastwood" on mine.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    This belongs to the pilot of Thunderbird 1

Scott-Solace-30.jpg
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    dodgy wrote:
    It's reminiscent of the way fighter pilots have their names inscribed on the fuselage up by the cockpit.

However, there's an obvious difference between a fighter pilot, who can get away with such self-indulgence because he is, in fact, an actual fighter pilot, and a cyclist, who er, well, isn't.

:lol:

Nah. Fighter pilots had to share the planes, so the best pilots "baggsyed" the best planes by putting their names on it so they didn't accidently pick the one with the dodgy left engine and rear gun that didn't work next time they went out. They also had to park their planes a long way from the living quarters and spread out arounf the airfield. So the first guys to get back from a mission baggsyed the best parking spots - another reason to put your name on your favourite plane.

Posties used to do this with the bike pool, and as posites are acknowledged as the true heroes of the cycling world this led to the tradition of cycle pros and then amateurs putting names on their bikes, even though (hilariously) they kept them in their own sheds and knew exactly which one was theirs.